Archinect
anchor

Contractors' works

Questions

Hi everyone,

I am currently involved in the construction of a residential project. The permit issued has undergone changes, alterations, or even been extended by adding additional square footage. Currently, the general contractor is sick of the project, and I am responsible for coordinating little details with subcontractors such as framers, plumbers, mechanics and electricians. I recently graduated from college and have little experience in the field. I had expected to work on construction documentation rather than taking on a contractor's role. Is this normal? Although I have learned a great deal about the construction of the project, sometimes I am not sure if I understand what I am seeing. It is an unorthodox practice and I am unsure what to make of it

Oct 31, 22 12:15 pm

First - what country are you in?

If you're in the US then you shouldn't be dealing with any subcontractors unless it's via an RFI from the GC.  Even then the GC should be present.  

Oct 31, 22 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

"send me an RFI" is my favorite line on site...

This particular case sounds wildly inappropriate though...

Oct 31, 22 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

It's appropriate. If the GC or any of their subs have a question or issue it should be submitted as an RFI.

In this case the RFI may be 'huge'.   Then again the GC is supposed to be doing all the coordination of the subs so I'd tell them to pound sand and do their dang jobs. 

Oct 31, 22 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Questions

In USA, Don't get me wrong, I am just helping the GC coordinate the construction changes, update the drawings for subs, and communicate directly with them. I am not supposed to make any major decisions or hold any liability as a contractor, such as whether to tear something down or raise the ceiling. How will this experience prepare me for future job applications or help me become a better designer? Will this helps to move forward in my career considering I am a newbie in this field

Oct 31, 22 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Who are you working for? Is it the GC?

Oct 31, 22 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Questions

an architecture firm, im a designer there. Its a small firm

Oct 31, 22 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Is this a design build project? Is your client the contractor or the buildings owner?

Oct 31, 22 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Questions

the client is owner of the building. It is a home remodel.

Oct 31, 22 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Do your best to be responsive to the owner's changes. Do your best to provide info to the GC. Keep everyone moving forward in  good faith; it does take a team. Even if GC doesn't want deal with it, he holds the contract, not the subs, so CC him on any directives you end up sending to any subs.

But know that next time, you need to have a better project set prepped prior to construction...it sound like they're winging it in construction and a lot of that could have been solved before bidding.

That may mean guiding the owner to provide better input earlier or to encourage your office to get more fee to properly document these sorts of projects. There may be other implications too...worthy of conversation internally to figure out how next time isn't a shitshow...

Oct 31, 22 2:32 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

Given that it's a single family residence... I don't really know what the typical behavior expectation is. I can say on a commercial project it would be wildly unacceptable to have that level of disregard by the GC, but also for the architect to get that involved. Like, I talk to subs regularly, but it's always though/with the GC. All direction goes thought the GC and official channels...

Oct 31, 22 2:41 pm  · 
1  · 

If it's not design build and there are separate contracts between the Owner/ CG and Owner/Architect then you should NOT be doing all of this coordination work for the GC. 

The caveat to this is if your drawings where just that bad and nothing was coordinated prior to construction.

Oct 31, 22 3:21 pm  · 
1  · 
Questions

I jumped to this project in the middle of its construction. There are changes happening right on the site, which makes the project very hard to keep track

Oct 31, 22 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

You need to speak to your firms owners about this. If the owner is making the changes then you need to get a COR from the GC. If the GC is making the changes and just not telling anyone you need to halt the construction and have a meeting with the GC and Owner. This is assuming the changes aren't normal 'means and methods' type stuff.

Oct 31, 22 4:12 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Who do you work for?

Oct 31, 22 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

what is your job description?

Oct 31, 22 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: