Archinect
anchor

Architects with ADHD-I want to hear your stories!

Smartbutscattered

What are your biggest strengths, biggest challenges, best work-arounds? What’s your role? What do you like about the job? 

Oct 25, 22 3:28 pm
JonathanLivingston

Squirrel!  

Oct 27, 22 12:44 pm  · 
2  ·  1
atelier nobody

I'd really love to give this a long, well-thought-out response, but I'm at work and will get in trouble if I'm on my phone too long.

I might or might not remember to come back to it later.

Oct 27, 22 7:23 pm  · 
2  · 
chris-chitect

I feel like everyone has ADHD these days, myself included. I can do certain things like Sketchup models and renders for hours on end and be totally content, but I can't manage outlook, phone calls and teams messages. I don't work in architecture anymore, but try to find my own little design projects on the side.

I'm a very disorganised person and just getting myself out of the door can sometimes be total chaos. I have spurts where I can be motivated to stay organised, use to-do lists, schedule certain tasks and so on, but it usually lasts for a short period and then I'm back to a bad habit of just reacting to problems I could have prevented. 

Oct 28, 22 3:09 am  · 
2  · 
x-jla

I don’t have adhd, but my colleague does.  He says that not drinking coffee until you’ve been awake for an hour or two helped a lot.  He heard this from a neuroscientist and tried it.  It also helps non adhd folks from getting that afternoon crash.  

Oct 28, 22 4:55 pm  · 
2  · 
x-jla

I know that wasn’t your question, but was just talking about this the other day with him :)

Oct 28, 22 4:55 pm  · 
1  · 
DickCheney

Dr. Huberman! I highly recommend everyone give his YouTube videos a listen. Neuro scientist who heads up Stanford program.

Oct 28, 22 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jdgrob

I manage my own practice since 2007, incorporated since 2013. Wisest choice ever. Architecture IS a good path for ADHD. I manage my own projects from start to finish. I jump from Code to construction detail, to specs, to E efficiency, back to code, talk to a Client, talk to a manufacturer, some more construction details, a load of documentation, a bit more of code, engineer coordination, etc, etc etc. All in all I do have control and knowledge over every aspect of my projects. To top it all it helps my cravings of getting busy, to learn more, etc.

Oct 28, 22 9:26 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

I'm a designer with ADHD, inattentive type. I'd respond with more details but I'm too busy and scattered at the moment. 

Oct 30, 22 11:42 am  · 
2  · 
proto

+1

Oct 30, 22 4:55 pm  · 
1  · 
shellarchitect

architect at a very large firm here.  I spend most of my time coordinating with engineers and talking to clients or contractors.  I pass off the stuff I struggle with, such as door and finish schedules to other staff so that I can focus on what I’m good at.  
It’s all about maximizing your value and productivity.

Nov 8, 22 7:42 am  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I keep a notebook where I write down everything, tasks, questions, things I did, phone logs, sometimes sketches. Serves as a chronological running record to reference later and as a supplement to calm the chaos. I work for myself so can set my own hours and take plenty of breaks. I can work straight through 6+ hours sometimes with hyper focus and other times I need a 15 minute break every 15 minutes so I created an environment where that can happen so I can thrive. I enjoy the divergent thinking aspect of ADD, it is creativity. 

Nov 8, 22 8:15 am  · 
2  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Oh and recently switched to decaf after my first cup of caffeinated coffee. 

Nov 8, 22 8:16 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: