Archinect
anchor

advices for high school student?

luce04

So I figured out I'd like to go into architecture, and I've done some research on my own but am still pretty lost and would really love to hear advices from people with experiences. Please share advices on what colleges to look into, what colleges to avoid if there are any? what programs to look for, internship opportunities, and anything I should be working on right now. I'm not doing enough but I legit don't know what to do and where/how. Also, I'm currently a high school junior.

Oct 17, 22 12:57 pm
Non Sequitur

"I've done some research on my own"

So... what have you done other than make this exceptionally vague and generic post?  Architecture schools and professional requirements vary greatly between countries so no one here can help unless you clarify a few things such as your location, to start.  Besides that, most arch schools require entrance portfolios as part of the application.  What do you have in terms of graphic/visual/creative skills?  Do you love buildings or do you love the idea of loving buildings?  Very important difference.  

Oct 17, 22 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Schools are requiring design portfolios from high school students to get into an undergrad program. WTF!?

Oct 17, 22 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Mine did.

Oct 17, 22 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

When I applied decades ago, Rice, Cornell, and maybe Cooper Union (I forget) required portfolios from high school students. I think technically they were optional, but I suspect few people, if any, got offered admission without them. A few other schools wanted a portfolio submitted if you wanted try for a full-ride 5-year academic scholarship.

Oct 17, 22 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Chad - in Canada that is a mandatory part of the entry application in all schools

Oct 17, 22 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
luce04

Sorry for the vagueness.

Oct 17, 22 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
luce04

omg I just made a comment with more info but it didnt post.. I'll retype it

Oct 17, 22 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
luce04

I live in maryland, looking for schools in the US. So far I have a very basic architecture portfolio from the RISD program, it has: exploration sketches of a rhold island local restaurant, small models with key design elements I took away from the restaurant, one combination model (of the small ones) and its plans and sections, a to scale site plan of the rhold island memorial park and a sketch, a final model of my building and its floor plans, sections, and exploded axons, and some diagrams. I joined my school's architecture club this year and we'll be doing a competition. Non architecture info: GPA: 4.0UW and I think around 4.9 weighted by the end of highschool. Just took my first SAT (1510), need to take it again (need at least 1570 for top schools). Going to start a research program in Winter. Extracurricular: piano over 10 yrs, flute around 7 yrs? accepted into all state band (didn't get to play bc covid messed with it), played in all county band, principal flute pvyo philharmonic, played in myco flute choirs (music stuff but idk if they count for much of a plus for colleges if i'm going into architecture). played tennis, done fencing (competed), and dance (tap, jazz, hip hop, and ballet). Used to take art classes but self-taught since middle school. Did a golden snub-nosed monkey conservation and learning summer program in Shangri-La.

Oct 17, 22 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Make sure your PASSION for the profession is greater than your NEED for sustenance.

Oct 17, 22 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

A few things we need to know before we can help you out. 

1.  What country are you in?

2.  If you're in the United States what state are you in.

Regardless of your answers I would speak with your high school about doing a mentorship or job shadow program at an actual architectural firm.  

Oct 17, 22 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Ideally the person should visit several firms of different sizes and practice types.

Oct 17, 22 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have several friends who are HS teachers... one is even a guidance counsellor and every year they send me emails asking if I am willing to speak with X or Y student regarding arch school and university applications/folios. I always say yes but never has one single student ever sent an email or phone call. Not one. Kids these days...

Oct 17, 22 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
luce04

​Thanks, I'll be talking to my school about doing a mentorship or job shadow program, and I posted some more information, sorry for the vagueness.

Oct 17, 22 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

NS: They've already drunk the Koolaid, and think that the glamorous public image of the profession is the reality.

My advice is to research the reality of being an architect before you start thinking about what school to go to, etc.  But, sadly, this poster will probably just plunge in (like more of us did).

Oct 17, 22 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
luce04

advice taken, will be looking more into it. i dont wanna just plunge in thats why i posted this to see if experienced people wanted to warn me about anything. like u said, i should do more research on what being an architect really means. but yea, i'm not choosing archi bc i think it's all glamorous, i'm trying to find something that i have passion for and start doing more to show that passion bc i rrly don't have much time until college app.

Oct 18, 22 12:41 am  · 
 · 

geezer - shut up boomer ;)

Oct 18, 22 9:59 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Look into the ACE Mentor Program.

The absolute best possible thing you could do would be to get a Summer job as "office gopher" for minimum wage in an Architecture firm.

https://www.acementor.org/find...

Oct 18, 22 1:01 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: