Archinect
anchor

Code Question: Display items in common corridor

Hey all, looking for advice on what code section to look at.

In the US, What are the requirements around displaying items in a wide, shared corridor in a *multi-tenant* building? Do I just have to keep the minimum clear egress width available, or are there requirements about flammability and whatnot too? In the back of my mind I'm thinking you're not allowed to "store" anything in the corridor, and display items count as "storing".

Picture is just one ganked off the internet, not my project. 

Sep 8, 22 1:40 pm

I THINK the displays would be considered temporary moveable items.  As long as they aren't permanent, hazardous or flammable as defined by the IBC you could be OK.   I could be wrong though as I've never done a museum type project.  

Regardless I would maintain the code required egress clearances.  

Sep 8, 22 4:02 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit... unless you're a table" - Mitch Hedberg, Building Code Expert.

Sep 8, 22 8:34 pm  · 
3  · 
thisisnotmyname

I tend to agree with Chad that a reasonable amount of displayed items can be considered to be furnishings.   Keep the egress and ADA widths clear and you should be ok.  As decorative items whose function is to furnish the space, I don't see the display pieces as being "stored" in the corridor any more than the desk and chair in your office are being "stored" in that office. 

I could, however, see some AHJs taking issue with freestanding stuff that could easily be moved around and end up blocking the corridor, like those easels in your photo.

I would start in Chapter 8 of IBC to see if any of the language there about finish material classifications extends to furnishings in your building's occupancy type and also endeavor to make whatever goes in the corridor resistant to being moved out of the locations you specify to maintain egress and ADA widths.

Sep 8, 22 5:35 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I would not worry about this, I wouldn't show it in plan, or ask a code official about. Let the tenant worry about these temporary, movable items.

Sep 8, 22 6:10 pm  · 
2  · 
thisisnotmyname

Well, if you are responsible for selecting furnishings and/or artwork for a corridor, it behooves you as a design professional to make whatever you put in meet applicable codes. In some places, fire inspectors do come into occupied buildings periodically and look at stuff like furniture blocking egress routes. It would be bad if your client got ticketed for something you specified.

Sep 8, 22 8:40 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I don't specify FF&E, posters, window coverings, etc.

Sep 8, 22 8:44 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

This doesn’t rise to the level of building code approval. It’s just a question of maintaining egress paths — ie, owner responsibility of maintaining a structure in good condition

Sep 9, 22 11:32 am  · 
1  · 

Good point proto. I could see the fire department having a say in this though.

Sep 9, 22 11:41 am  · 
2  · 

b3ta I may be an owner of the building, so I do need/feel required to worry about it.

Sep 9, 22 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Per b3ta's comment, I should mention that this is related to the *use* of the corridor. How often have we seen corridors labeled "Gallery" or "Gathering Space" or some such in a plan? I'm trying to be safe about how the space - which is a wide space now being used as a corridor leftover from a previous industrial use in a historic building - actually functions day to day.

Sep 9, 22 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Do a code analysis on what the "required" width needs to be and proceed from there. This is not generally something I'd worry about, because unless this IS a gallery, i.e. an A-3 occupancy, that exceeds 50 occupants, then this would be called a B occupancy. Because the items being placed are not fixed, I would not be concerned. However, if you are planning to store loose chairs in the corridor that will be an issue.

Sep 9, 22 5:33 pm  · 
3  · 
proto

per chad’s comment, the fire marshal is the person most concerned with the condition proposed (or maintained)

Just to be nosy…when you say “wide corridor”, how wide is it? Could it be considered a lobby or other public space because of its proportions?

Sep 10, 22 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Based on the model IBC, this is fine so long as it is in fact a Corridor and isn't a required Exit Passageway (which shall not be used for any other purpose) furnishing are permissable so long as they do not encroach upon the required exit width, door clearances, ADA required width, etc.

In most jurisdictions furnishings are governed by the International Fire Code (See IFC Chapter 8).

Sep 10, 22 3:39 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: