Archinect
anchor

M.Arch I&II 2023 Application Status

dwem403

Hi everyone,

Congratulations to those who have been admitted. It has been a pleasure seeing everyone's exciting next steps.

I hope this message doesn't interrupt the flow, but I was hoping to receive some advice on my current and future applications.

I am an international student who has been working for almost four years at a top-tier creative agency (company name confidential). In addition to my day job, I have been constantly working on personal projects that have been showcased in galleries and museums.

My GPA is based on the British system, and I graduated with first-class honors in BFA, receiving scholarships every year. However, the drawback is that the school I attended isn't widely known.

I only applied to three schools: MIT Media Lab, GSD MDes(Medium), and MIT SMACT, mainly due to my daytime work schedule, which ends at 10 pm+ because of the projects I handle.

I believe I had a decent SOP and portfolio, as I reviewed my application materials with my talented colleagues to ensure they were fine.

I was thrilled to know that I made it to the first round of MIT Media Lab schools that I applied to, but I don't think I made it to the interview after the second round. However, I had no expectations of getting into Media Lab.

Although I did not get into GSD MDes, I did get an interview with MIT SMACT faculties and wrapped up on a good note. However, I had to wait almost a month for the results, and I was notified of my rejection last week.

I know that I applied to too few schools, all from prestigious lists, and I intend to apply to more schools next round for sure. I have a couple of questions to ask all of you:

• Does re-applying ever work positively?
  • Where do you see the weakness in my application based on the results?

Thanks in advance. I am really lost about my next step now.

Mar 27, 23 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
Miss.Dani

From my experience, this is just my speculation and what I have observed this year. The better the school, the more they look for your educational background. I have talked to people with 10+ years of experience, established in their careers and a beautiful architectural-focused portfolio getting admitted to just ok schools while some with a really, a just ok portfolio and no experience but did their undergrad in Ivy and recommendations from their well-connected profs got full rides to multiple top schools in the state. And it's looking like this is the standard for any top 20 schools now. You have done nothing wrong and worked really hard, but I think the more involved we are, the worst the application process is. Re-applying will always work but I would assume its going to get worse every year.

Mar 28, 23 9:09 am  · 
3  · 
Dimes

Sorry to hear that, I was sort of in the same boat. I knew that I shouldn't have had any expectations, but I still felt that I had a solid chance at many of my ambitious reaches. However, I was rejected from many of them straight up and accepted into only a few and one with a good scholarship. None of them were my top choices so I also reconsidered doing another cycle. I really spent time diving into forums and doing the research. I hate to say it but to be honest it will likely hurt to do another cycle. In most cases, seeing someone has been rejected in the system will give the reviewer an expectation, looking for flaws and points why the applicant was rejected, and if anything was improved upon. This may not be the case for schools that dont keep old files, but many of the Ivies ask if you have applied, you can lie but there is the risk. Also many of them only allow you to apply 3 times in your life time, there is a reason for that. Needless to say, fresh applicants have a better chance, if you are applying for the third time, they will really be scrutinizing your file, as the jury also changes every year, which means you have been rejected by different commitiees. But there is always the exception of some applicants that do something spectacular in the next year and come up with a brand new portfolio. But I would really think hard about betting your time and effort on this slim chance, your attitude and mindset will be different doing more cycles, the pressure of recieving rejections will be different. Do not place your life on hold for this. The schools that accepted you might also rethink offering as much as they did since you chose not to attend without a solid reason in the previous cycle. It really is a crapshot and you are going in pretty much blind. Many factors come into play, the boat has sailed, I would take the best offers that you got, but hey, take it with a grain of salt since i am just another applicant in this forum. Good luck to you.

Mar 28, 23 9:57 am  · 
3  · 
mrcutout

re-applying def works! I know quite a few people who got into MIT, GSD, Yale in their second/third round of application. If you have reached to the interview stage, it means those schools are interested in you and you have potentials!

Mar 28, 23 2:04 pm  · 
1  · 
pogo91

I agree with mrcutout. Reapplying worked for me as well. In my first try I spent very little time on my application, essay and portfolio (a week) and I did not make it to school I wanted or got waitlisted. This year I approached mor holistically to my application and put more time, thinking into them. I applied less schools - only to the ones that aligned with my expectations from architecture school. Also, if you can share your portfolio we can hive even more helpful feedback. Portfolio is deal breaker and how you present your work is quite important.

Mar 28, 23 5:59 pm  · 
1  · 
dwem403

Thank you for your comment. I shall better conduct more in-depth research about the schools before applying for sure. Regarding my portfolio, I know I came to the M.ARCH thread to discuss my issues because I thought it was generic enough. However, my portfolio is closely related to Fine Arts (Media Arts) that uses technology. I am not sure if it is irrelevant, but I am happy to share what I have.

Mar 28, 23 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

Hey Dwem. I cannot be exact about your particular application because it seem as if it is relatively strong. It seems like you're trying to move into academia or fine-arts? It's important to be very focused with the degree/discipline you want to enter. I am myself very interested in art-and-technology and can talk extensively on the topic, both in terms of content and the contemporary U.S. discipline, if you want. Also, yea it just generally seems like you didn't apply to enough programs. Reapplying works but you have to justify the gap-year by doing something productive in the meantime.

Mar 29, 23 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
hbassal

Yeah, I can confirm what Dimes says, and I guarantee that no one makes it to the GSD on a third try, I mean that's what I was explicitly told!

Apr 6, 23 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Relativeurbanism

Hello everyone, 

Is there anyone who got in U of Toronto and planning to go ahead with it? I recently got in Masters in Urban Design. Let's get in touch :)

Mar 30, 23 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
itsaduck

Waiting to hear back from USC. How did they notify those who got accepted - portal, email or faculty email?

Mar 31, 23 6:36 am  · 
 · 
meowpypurrfday

Email!

Mar 31, 23 10:22 am  · 
 · 
vivekkpatell

Hello, 

I have to decide between SCI-Arc and USC for M.Arch 1. No funding for either schools so money is not a factor although both schools are very expensive. Anyone have any recommendations or advice on what school to lean towards? 

Thank you and good luck to all in their endeavors!

Apr 2, 23 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
mattboudreau

Does anyone have any thoughts on GSAPP vs. Pratt vs. BAC for M. Arch 1?

I got no scholarship money from GSAPP and am trying to ask for aid from the school but it seems unlikely. I got about half in scholarship from Pratt. For BAC, I got into AP with no scholarship money but tuition is over half the price of GSAPP and Pratt.

Apr 5, 23 4:13 pm  · 
1  · 
baccicostanza

Just got into Pratt with scholarship covering half of the tuition ! So late to send out acceptances.... so if you still have not heard back don't worry! 

Apr 6, 23 10:15 am  · 
1  · 
meekiko

This is great to hear! Congratulations!

Apr 6, 23 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
konsta

Hi all!

Firstly, I want to thank the community, as here, as an international student, I found a lot of useful information for further admission. And I want to ask you for more help. I am at a loss with the choice of universities in the USA where to submit my application for a master degree and I ask you to suggest which universities may still fit my selection criteria. For me, the most important thing is the symbiosis of architecture and art and a conceptual approach to design, respect for heritage and active work with historical objects and great attention to the theory of architecture in general. My favorite architects include SANAA, David Chipperfield, Alexander Brodsky, Pezo Von Ellrichshausen, Tadao Ando

From the top universities, I focus on GSD, Yale, Cornell, but there are not enough non-top universities with more affordable prices on my list. Tell me, please, which universities are still worth considering

Thank you

Apr 9, 23 11:11 am  · 
 · 
boy racer

Konsta, you have interesting research interests. I would immediately think about adding GSAPP and Penn to your list. As well, it may be the best path to just look at each M.Arch (or other degree) program and to figure that out yourself, as you can gain a much more nuanced interpretation of each university. I am not sure what you mean by "not enough non-top universities with more affordable prices" as you listed all private/Ivy-league institutions, which are very expensive. Also, you're international, which probably makes it more expensive. I would look at the u niversities in the U.S. that have the most endowment and can therefore give more funding out.

Apr 11, 23 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

A great way to figure out the "ethos" of a school is to look not at the website, but the work of the faculty. Tells you a lot.

Apr 13, 23 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
konsta

Thanks Boy racer, I have some prejudice that GSAPP is too expensive and doesn't support the students financially, and since I don't have much money, I didn't put it on the list, although all the students' ideas seem very interesting. Penn is very good, added him to my list, thanks. Following your advice, I went through most of the architecture master programs and filtered out 30 of them. But I don't know how to find out wich universities have the most endowment.

Apr 19, 23 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
konsta

Thanks Graphemic, that's exactly right. I will follow this advice

Apr 19, 23 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

Konta, take a look at this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

Apr 19, 23 4:14 pm  · 
1  · 
anshikasrivastava

What colleges are currently still accepting applications?

Apr 15, 23 9:15 am  · 
 · 
pooja99

Australian Universities probably

Apr 16, 23 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
oranjejuice

I think Parsons is

Apr 27, 23 9:41 am  · 
 · 
pooja99

Anyone here who has applied at the Bartlett probably after January and has received their decision? I am still waiting for their reply

Apr 16, 23 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
_kaleidoscope_

Anyone here going to Michigan (Taubman) for fall 2023? Would love to connect

Apr 20, 23 4:05 am  · 
1  · 
layasusan

Yes! M.arch 2, Fall 2023.

Apr 20, 23 6:19 am  · 
 · 
Lindsaymiller

Anyone gong to WashU for M.arch 1 ? 

Apr 21, 23 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
meteoricc

Yeah, definitely excited! I'll be flying down to St. Louis in a week to tour the campus

May 3, 23 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Dysart

Has anyone on the wait list for GSAPP heard back yet? Should be today I think

Apr 22, 23 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
SubZero

Just got a follow up to reconfirm place on the waitlist. "Although we are not able to offer you a place in the incoming class at this time, we may be able to do so in the coming weeks". Hope they update soon

Apr 26, 23 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
normansfosterchild

Does anyone know how much time GSAPP give us to make a decision after we get off the waitlist?

Apr 28, 23 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
nanhongan

Two weeks written in the letter if you got off waitlist

Apr 30, 23 4:38 am  · 
 · 
SubZero

Have you already been notified?

Apr 30, 23 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
nanhongan

yes about a week ago

May 1, 23 5:15 am  · 
 · 
arthurfu

Which program have you applied, nan?

May 4, 23 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
nanhongan

m.arch I srry for late reply

May 7, 23 2:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: