Archinect
anchor

M.Arch I&II 2023 Application Status

OMAYYEEE123

has anyone received financial aid info from UW Seattle yet?

Mar 9, 23 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
maki991

waiting for that as well, should be within this week

Mar 9, 23 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
meteoricc

Waiting on that too, fingers crossed

Mar 10, 23 11:50 am  · 
 · 
shele038

Hi, might be a bit late but I got my letter for financials on the 8th.

Mar 13, 23 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Miss.Dani

Wash U Sam Fox is out! Just admissions and said they would follow up on financial aid and other stuff in a later email.

Mar 9, 23 3:11 pm  · 
1  · 
sumedhgangurde

Damn I'm worried i still haven't got the mail

Mar 9, 23 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
sumedhgangurde

Have any international applicants heard from washU?

Mar 10, 23 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Miss.Dani

I am an international applicant

Mar 10, 23 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
aloogobi

yes

Mar 10, 23 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
ZahaHadont

I was accepted as international.

Mar 10, 23 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
vivekkpatell

USC sent an email with admission letter at 1:52PM. Got accepted! However, no information in terms of financial aid. 

Mar 9, 23 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Har1arch

M. ARCH 1 Mid size private university BSA

IN: USC 2 year w $, UCLA in state, UT in state, Tulane 2 year w $$, Cal Poly Pomona

OUT: Rice, UC Berkeley 

Deciding between UCLA, USC, and UT. Please let me know your thoughts!! 

Mar 9, 23 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Take the cheapest option. Everything else is irrelevant. 

Mar 9, 23 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
Har1arch

Money aside

Mar 10, 23 3:14 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^no. Money is never aside.

Mar 10, 23 5:50 am  · 
1  ·  1
ham1

Do the two-year at USC. I'd say if you got $ it's cheaper than UCLA or UT (but knowing baseline USC tuition it's probably not). It also means you can get out and work/earn a salary faster, which helps in the long run. If you want to live in LA or California, USC and UCLA are two of the top three programs in the state. Tulane two-year could be cheaper but alumni + names could give you an advantage in the long run if you wanted to move to the west coast either way. Sometimes you've got to spend money to make money, why else would anyone pay more for college than they needed to?

Mar 10, 23 11:38 am  · 
2  · 
bbygrlpro

Did you end up choosing a school yet? I'm considering ucla but on the fence

Apr 9, 23 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Anyone hear from Notre Dame or Virginia Tech? 

Mar 10, 23 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
_kaleidoscope_

Did you hear back from Virginia Tech. I saw one admit on grad cafe today

Mar 14, 23 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

no, but the portal was updated to "awaiting confirmation" Rejected from Notre Dame yesterday

Mar 14, 23 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

Accepted to VT about 10 pm last night

Mar 15, 23 7:24 am  · 
 · 
meteoricc

accepted to VT as well, really late in the night

Mar 16, 23 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Have you heard anything on funding or which track? We did apply for 2 yr. Were you able to create your PID?

Mar 17, 23 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
PAULRAND00

Just received admission to GSAPP. Got an email to check portal

Mar 10, 23 1:56 pm  · 
2  · 
Miss.Dani

Let the anxiety begin

Mar 10, 23 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
maki991

MARCH I may I ask?

Mar 10, 23 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
ktmango

did you get $$?

Mar 10, 23 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
aloogobi

didn't get an email yet but admission updated in the portal

Mar 10, 23 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
maki991

did you get offer letter when you check the portal?

Mar 10, 23 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
aloogobi

yes

Mar 10, 23 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
weathers

May I ask what program you are applying for?

Mar 10, 23 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Miss.Dani

again, proud reject of Columbia!

Mar 10, 23 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
PAULRAND00

@weathers @maki191 yes MArch I and the email led me to a letter in the portal

Mar 10, 23 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
ham1

Notification email went to "promotions" tab FYI. Got accepted to the dual M.Arch + M.S.RED program

Mar 10, 23 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
PleaseArchi

in MSAUD.

Mar 10, 23 7:28 pm  · 
1  · 
ZahaHadont

Was waitlisted.

Mar 10, 23 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
z._.zzzz

i got in too!! no information about $$ tho

Mar 10, 23 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
PAULRAND00

Yes no info at all.. I emailed them asking

Mar 10, 23 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

Let us know if you end up receiving some form FA. I had it on my email and was able to see what they were going to give me, so it's weird they would leave it out.

Mar 11, 23 12:54 am  · 
 · 
i_wish_i_were_lucky

I also got accepted with no info on FA nor scholarship. I would assume im not getting anything right?

Mar 12, 23 9:50 am  · 
 · 
PleaseArchi

in at Yale M.Archll, Cornell MSAAD $, GSAPP MSAUD,

out GSD.

Anyone advice on choosing between Cornell MSAAD with 35K and GSAPP MSAUD? Both programs provide great courses for me, but while the 35K from Cornell is attractive, I prefer the experience of living in NYC. As an international student, I find it difficult to determine which program would offer better job prospects and networking opportunities. I understand that it ultimately depends on my portfolio, but any insights would be great.

Mar 10, 23 8:02 pm  · 
1  · 
Miss.Dani

as a fellow international student that is currently working in the state. the ultimate answer is the location doesn't matter. i did my undergraduate in the middle of no where midwest and i still landed a job by networking and connections. the key is not were you are located but your relationship with prof, connections to the industry and how strong is the career team in school. you can always fly out for interviews and i did that multiple times. as an international i am also worried about cost of living and crime rates in the area as living in a small town gives me a better chance to save, focus on my stud
ies and really take some time for myself. but the ultimate decision is up to you. for me, i would rather pay 1k to live with 1 roomates with a decedent apartment in a small ish town than 3k for a shoe box in a crowded gutter for 'experience'

Mar 10, 23 9:30 pm  · 
6  · 
PleaseArchi

Thank you for your advice. I should consider my expected living expenses and compare them with what I want. As a fellow international student, I want to thank you and also support you.

Mar 10, 23 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
CTXIV

Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

Bachelors of Science in Architecture / University at Buffalo / 2023

GPA

3.6, no GRE or TOEFL

Letter of recommendations 

Three from my previous studio professors, though some schools only required two.

Personal Essay/Statement 

I introduced some topics that interested me such as urban based architecture, and building for urban communities. I also explained what I learned in school and how studying in Buffalo helped me to not only learn about architecture, but aspects of urban and communal needs and responsibility in design. Also explained why I wanted to attend the school (such as specific things in their program I found interesting, location, and even affordability for one of them) For Parsons, I wrote about a real building as a case study for their prompt that related back to my interest in housing.

Portfolio

Projects from my sophomore, junior, and my senior year. (Though I recently update my portfolio with stuff from my construction technology class for internships, but I unfortunately I didn't include it in any of my grad school applications.)

Schools 

- University at Buffalo

- Bernard Anne Spitzer at CCNY

- NYIT

- Pratt

- Parsons

Open house impressions 

Only attended one open house so far for NYIT. Thought it was ok. Graduate studio director explained some stuff for the curriculum such as design-build courses and study abroad opportunities.

Results 

University at Buffalo (Accepted)

CCNY (Accepted)

Pratt (Accepted)

Parsons (Waiting)

NYIT (Waiting)

I am holding off on making a decision for now regarding if I want to stay in Buffalo or go back to NYC until all of them come in, and I also get an idea of the professional opportunities and paths (such as internships) that are available to me.

Mar 11, 23 3:38 pm  · 
1  · 
CTXIV

(Update) Accepted to NYIT M.Arch track II, now only waiting for Parsons

Mar 13, 23 1:03 pm  · 
1  · 
darcyarchy

Do you know when Parsons should be coming out?

Mar 13, 23 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
CTXIV

I think it should be soon though I'm not sure exactly when. Last I checked, the application status in my portal changed from "awaiting decision" to blank.

Mar 13, 23 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
waterbottle

Same here. I thought blank meant rejected lol. I called the admissions office and they said mid to late march so probably soon

Mar 14, 23 12:32 am  · 
 · 
CTXIV

(Update) Accepted to Parsons with advanced placement and 75% scholarship.

Mar 15, 23 8:31 pm  · 
2  · 
waterbottle

Same here! 75% scholarship and advanced placement

Mar 16, 23 3:05 am  · 
1  · 
meowpypurrfday

Anyone else waiting on UCLA? It's my last school and it's killing me! 

Mar 11, 23 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
vivekkpatell

Yup waiting on ucla as well!

Mar 11, 23 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
ychans

Reading through last year’s thread has been more or less helpful and informative… So I’ve decided to post my backgrounds + tips here.

• Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

Public School in Mid West

B.S. in Architecture + A.B. in Political Science. Graduating in 2023.

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.9 - V157Q170

• Letter of recommendations 

3 studio professors. 1 I only know in the academic setting, 2 I’ve got to know them personally over the years.

• Personal Essay/Statement 

Briefly talked about my upbringing, shifting social class, and moving to a different country, having a degree in PolSci prompted me to think abt architecture in more sociological/political ways; worked as an editor for several journals during my ug years, which informed my interests in HTC; my interests in design in Spatial Narratives and Politics, architecture as a medium of socio-cultural criticism… Wasn’t super school-specific though.

• Portfolio

5 Projects in total. 4 school projects + 1 competition.

• Schools 

Princeton, MIT, GSD, Yale, GSAPP, Cornell, Rice

• Open house impressions 

Princeton - Didn’t go to the open house, but my college roommate is now a student at the school so I visited him during the school year. Lovely studio, with a lot of workspaces, a lot of advanced machines in the FabLab, great curriculum (especially for people who have a profound interest in HTC). I have a couple of friends at Princeton Architecture already so I know that the student body is amazing.

GSD (online) - somewhat corporate. Didn’t learn a lot from the Open House though - basically, it was Mark Lee reading a bunch of stuff you can find on their website…

• Results 

In w/ $$$ - Princeton, Rice

In w/ $$ - Cornell

In w/ $Pending - Yale

In - GSD, GSAPP

Waiting for MIT...

• Tips

Perfecting a Personal Statement takes wayyyy longer than you imagine… Start early, not only on the portfolio but also on PS. Get as many people as possible to look at your stuff. Showing works and PS to people who are outside the field is also interesting and can lead to inspiring, eye-opening conversations.

Mar 12, 23 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Annakeichline

Hi, congrats!

Mar 12, 23 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Annakeichline

GSAPP MArch II?

Mar 12, 23 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
ychans

All MArch I programs...

Mar 13, 23 8:23 am  · 
1  · 
sleepy

Several of my classmates got accepted to Columbia GSAPP (AAD, AUD, ) without completing/submitting their applications. One uploaded just one recommendation letter, one didn't write the PS, and one didn't even finish the portfolio. This is super weird. Anyone of you has the same situation? Is GSAPP running into financial issues this year?

Mar 12, 23 7:32 pm  · 
1  · 
boy racer

Not sure, but I also think of my acceptance as very odd lol. I got waitlisted from RISD, denied from Harvard, Princeton, Yale, etc... but got into GSAPP.

Mar 12, 23 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
eieizzz

Has anyone heard from the MIT SMarchS programs?

Mar 12, 23 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
pogo91

Has anyone heard from Financial Aid Office of Yale? Acceptance letter said they will reach out with funding information…

Mar 13, 23 9:22 am  · 
 · 
ExpansiveBox

Yes. Did you submit your CSS profile to Yale? If you haven’t receive an award email then that is probably the issue. I’m not sure what the problem is if you have already submitted.

Mar 13, 23 10:22 am  · 
 · 
pogo91

Yes I did submit CSS profile. When did you receive your award letter?

Mar 13, 23 11:04 am  · 
 · 
pasdedeux

I got my letter on March 10th, and I submitted all the financial stuff way before the deadline so that could be why it's taking longer for you.

Mar 13, 23 11:59 am  · 
1  · 
pogo91

I finally got my award letter!!! I was so stressed about it. a congratulations to all of us!

Mar 15, 23 12:34 pm  · 
2  · 
shele038

Definitely relied on this forum this year so thought I would share!

Applied for M.Arch I AP. 

• Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

State school, graduating in May of 2023.

B.S. in architectural studies and B.A. in Spanish

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

1 studio professor, 1 history professor (capstone advisor), and 1 other professor

Tailored each letter to the school, spoke mainly about the complex area of cultures I am in at the moment and how to bring narratives of underrepresented people forward through space, my time abroad and capstone project. Definitely talked about intersectionality with language and architecture too as that was my capstone project. 

• Portfolio

2 school studio projects, 1 professional, and 1-2 for my capstone

• Schools 

Rice, UW, Michigan, RISD, GSD (two programs), GSAPP, Princeton

• Open house impressions 

Did not attend any, did speak to students at some schools though before applying. 

• Results 

In at UW with scholarships

In at UMich with scholarships

In at RISD with scholarships (all these above are for advanced standing)

In at GSD for MDes degree with scholarships

Out at Rice, GSD M.Arch I, Princeton, and GSAPP

• Tips

I think having a very clear focus of what you want to study and can bring to the school is really important and something I wish I could have honed more before. Time is quick and the portfolio I wish I had represented things a bit differently. But, happy with where I am in!

Mar 13, 23 11:33 am  · 
 · 
SZCR

Hi! congratulations! I was also admitted to MDes, can I ask how much you received in scholarships? I did not receive financial aid and am now trying to negotiate.

Mar 13, 23 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
shele038

Thanks! I think I received 20k for this year.

Mar 15, 23 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
k22vsam

Congrats. I got into MDes too with same amount of scholarship like you

Mar 15, 23 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
starkkitect

may i see your portfolio for MDes?

Mar 30, 23 4:43 am  · 
 · 
kiff

Has anyone gotten a rejection email from Pratt? 

Still haven't gotten anything at all and am thinking I should just assume that's what it means?

Mar 13, 23 11:37 am  · 
 · 
aspiringarchitect12

I still have not heard anything. I would not assume rejection either though if you had a decent app.

Mar 13, 23 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
meekiko

Hello, I have not heard anything back yet either. I believe they are rolling. I submitted my application last day. when did you submit yours?

Mar 14, 23 9:13 am  · 
1  · 
aspiringarchitect12

I also submitted mine last day

Mar 14, 23 10:12 am  · 
1  · 
kiff

Hopefully we’ll hear soon. Mine was later as well.

Mar 17, 23 9:41 am  · 
1  · 
meekiko

Still waiting...so anxious, fingers crossed

Mar 20, 23 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
aspiringarchitect12

Has anyone been able to get in contact with Pratt about admissions decision? Their admissions team does not answer emails or phone calls

Mar 22, 23 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
aspiringarchitect12

are schools for M. Arch required to notify applicants of their admission decision by March 15th?

Mar 13, 23 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

Don't think that is set in stone, but this week is probably the last main week we will be waiting. MIT states they will be starting by then, and UCLA has already been extremely delayed.

Mar 13, 23 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
pogo91

I sent an email to MIT asking when they would be releasing the decisions and received no response so far. It is odd that there is still not a single acceptance mentioned in grad cafe or here.

Mar 14, 23 8:59 am  · 
 · 

I don't think so. Virginia Tech has on its website says notifications are released up to April 1.

Mar 14, 23 11:23 am  · 
 · 
ham1

Last year March 15th-22nd was when they started releasing decisions, so end of this week to next week is when we'll start hearing back

Mar 14, 23 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
otterworldly

pogo91, is there any response from the admission office?

Mar 15, 23 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
pogo91

no :(

Mar 15, 23 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
MooseOnTheLoose
  • Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

USC, B. Arch, 2016

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.31 GPA, not taking GRE or TOEFL

2 Letters of Rec: Former thesis instructor and project manager from architecture firm I worked at for five years after graduating

Reflecting on undergrad and work experience, detailing some of the projects I did/worked on, why I want to go back to school and how each specific school can help my career go in the direction I want it to

• Portfolio

25-35 pages depending on each school's requirements. 3-4 undergrad projects and 2 professional.

• Schools 

Architectural Association, UCL Bartlett, University of Edinburgh, University of Manchester, Royal College of Art & Royal Danish Academy

• Open house impressions 

I wasn't able to attend any open houses but I did attend an applicant drop in call for AA with the director of the program I applied to and it was very beneficial. There were only a few of us so we got to each ask questions and have a decently long/detailed conversation. I think it was crucial for them to be able to put a face/personality to the name.

• Results 

IN - AA, Edinburgh, Manchester & RCA

Still waiting to hear back from Bartlett & RDA. I had an interview with Bartlett and they said they would update the portal shortly

• Tips

I personally had to do a deep dive into what exactly I wanted from grad school (if it was worth it to pursue or just continue working in the field). Once I started to work on my personal statement it became clear what I wanted and how each grad school could get me there. If I didn't find a specific program or studio within the architecture school that offered exactly what I was looking for, I didn't apply. I felt like each application was very tailored and expressed how we could both benefit from one another.

As far as the portfolio goes, I was concerned that my graphic skills weren't up to par. I tend to lean more towards clean, yet affective graphics that let the projects speak for themselves as opposed to flashy renderings, etc. Based off my acceptances, I think this was appreciated. Not to say that more aggressive graphics are bad, but I think it's more important to stay true to yourself as a designer than to follow what you think is trendy at the moment.. just my thoughts.. who really knows!

I'll update once I hear back from Bartlett and RDA. Good luck to everyone out there!

Mar 13, 23 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
waterbottle

When did you hear back from Edinburgh?

Mar 14, 23 12:29 am  · 
 · 
MooseOnTheLoose

Jan 26th - they were the first to get back to me. Did you apply?

Mar 14, 23 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
watermelonsunday

Did you apply to AA Diploma Part 2? I’ve also been accepted and thinking of going! Still waiting for RCA though, applied round 2

Mar 15, 23 2:02 am  · 
 · 
MooseOnTheLoose

No I actually applied to their MArch Design & Make program! Ahh congrats that's so awesome! Yeah, RCA seems unique being surrounded by all of the art majors. From what I've gathered they are pretty open to you making your own path within the program.

Mar 15, 23 2:34 am  · 
 · 
waterbottle

Yess I applied more than a month back. It still says that we're reviewing your details

Mar 15, 23 5:51 am  · 
 · 
MooseOnTheLoose

Ah, makes sense. I applied super early.. I was too anxious and didn't want to play the waiting game. Good luck!

Mar 15, 23 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
MooseOnTheLoose

In at Bartlett!

Apr 5, 23 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
Monish

I am currently in the process of applying for a Master of Architecture program and am wondering if anyone has information regarding universities that are still accepting MArch applications for Fall 2023. As the application deadline for many universities has already passed, I am hoping to explore additional options that may still be available. (United States)

If anyone has any insights or suggestions, I would be grateful for any assistance you can provide.

Mar 14, 23 3:42 am  · 
 · 
watermelonsunday

USC has rolling admissions till July 1. Pratt as well, says they are rolling on their website, but not sure of the exact date.

Mar 14, 23 4:22 am  · 
 · 
pogo91

Parsons also has rolling admissions. Reach out the Masters of Architecture department.

Mar 14, 23 8:56 am  · 
 · 
meowpypurrfday

I just got an email from Sci-Arc saying their deadline is tomorrow

Mar 14, 23 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
maki991

u of Oregon still accepting too

Mar 15, 23 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
AristoTelecome

Has anyone else still not heard back from GSAPP? My application status is still on submitted..

Mar 14, 23 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
weathers

We're in the same boat. I applied to the MSAAD program, but I haven't received any response to my inquiry about the result yet. I'm guessing they may be on spring break.

Mar 14, 23 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
Annakeichline

I got rejected today

Mar 15, 23 5:00 am  · 
 · 
weathers

I ended up getting rejected today

Mar 17, 23 1:41 am  · 
 · 
gradkid

Got into MS.AUD on 10th March. A friend got accepted to MS.AAD on the same day.

Mar 17, 23 10:36 am  · 
1  · 
puhahaga

has anyone heard from MIT? I heard people got into mit today. 

Mar 15, 23 6:10 am  · 
 · 

MIT Undergraduate released last night "Pi Day" at 2xPi (6:28pm). If I remember correctly I think MIT came out a day or 2 after Pi day last year.

Mar 15, 23 7:26 am  · 
 · 
ahjun

any reply from Mcgill, Carleton and waterloo ?

Mar 15, 23 6:52 am  · 
 · 
steelydag

Have heard back from McGill, accepted.

Mar 17, 23 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
waterbottle

Is anyone applying in Germany? Particularly TU Berlin?

Mar 15, 23 7:46 am  · 
 · 
otterworldly

Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated

BArch / International / 2019

GPA - GRE  - IELTS

3.46 - not taking - 8.0

Letter of recommendations

Three letters. One from my supervisor at work, one from undergrad thesis advisor, one from a professor whose class I enjoyed the most. All of them know me personally, so I think the letters would not be too generic.

Personal Essay/Statement

Talked about how my backgrounds and experiences culminates in misbelief in the usual heroic narrative of architect(ure), and how I want to challenge my own understanding of spatial practices in relations to the urban development and ecological processes. Hence, I applied to mostly urbanism and/or landscape programs. I put effort to weave my statement and portfolio (+cv) as reciprocal components in telling who am I as a person and my interests.

Portfolio

30 pages A4. For most schools I included 8 projects (3 school projects, 3 competition projects, 1 professional project and 1 personal essay) - except for Delft and ETH. Categorized the projects into several themes.

Schools

ETH Zurich (MSc Landscape Architecture)

RCA (MA Environmental Architecture)

MIT (SMArchS Architecture + Urbanism)

TU Delft (MSc Urbanism)

Goldsmiths (MA Research Architecture)

Parsons (MS Design and Urban Ecologies)

Royal Danish Academy (MA Political Architecture: Critical Sustainability)

Open house impressions

Attended/watched the zoom sessions of ETH and RCA.

ETH was candid and informal but immensely stimulating to the point that I spent the rest of the night finishing my motivation letter that day. Tbh, I didn’t even think of applying to the program before the zoom session. Being a new program, I appreciate the balance between the openness towards interdisciplinary approaches and the technical rigor. I think Teresa Gali-Izard is an excellent educator.

I only watched the recording of the RCA open day, but I think the perspective of the program very much aligns with my interests. Seems very radical and transdisciplinary. The ongoing studios have interesting research themes as well.

Results

Goldsmiths - In 19/01 (only a week after application submission! Props to them. Also, Forensic Architecture!!!)

RCA - In 15/02 with a negligible amount of gift card awards for printing and supplies.

MIT - Interviewed (short call 14/02)

Parsons - In 15/03 with 35% scholarship.

Tips

Make sure to apply for programs that align with your interests and where you can imagine yourself spending your life for 1, 2, or 3 years.

P.s. MIT, ETH, and TUD are playing mind games. I hope I will hear from them this week. MIT is my top choice.

Mar 15, 23 1:05 pm  · 
1  · 
otterworldly

In at ETH (20/03), also in at MIT with 75% fellowship! (21/03)

Mar 22, 23 1:11 am  · 
 · 
NotYetParanoid

Congratulations!

Mar 22, 23 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
NotYetParanoid

When did you hear back from MIT?

Mar 22, 23 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
otterworldly

I got an email on Mar 21, around 11am ET.

Mar 25, 23 1:49 am  · 
 · 
otterworldly

In at Delft (27/03)!

Apr 1, 23 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
otterworldly

That concludes my grad school application for this year. I really appreciate the support (and a rather unhealthy amount of constant anxiety, lol) this forum gave me. Wish you all success pursuing whatever path you’re on!

Apr 1, 23 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Annakeichline

Is anyone waiting for MIT MArch? Any news? 

Mar 15, 23 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
mrcutout

nothing so far on my end...

Mar 15, 23 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
pogo91

nope, nothing.

Mar 15, 23 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
pogo91

Hello everyone and congratulations to all who got accepted to one of their choices. Now that we all have some options, I wonder if anyone tried negotiating scholarships? If yes, do you have any advice to share? How did you negotiate? What approaches did you take? It is one thing to get accepted, it is another thing to afford these very expensive schools and I personally can not without decent scholarship if not full plus stipend.  If you know some other external scholarships that I can apply please share. Any idea and resources are welcomed. One issue - I already have tons of loans from my previous degree, so not an option to take a loan.

Mar 15, 23 4:50 pm  · 
7  · 
meteoricc

I would also like to know the best way to frame the negotiating scholarship process between schools, how to pose the question as a necessity but not necessarily sounding pushy about it

Mar 16, 23 3:56 pm  · 
1  · 
lukie

Has anyone heard about funding from UCLA or UW? 

Mar 16, 23 8:30 am  · 
 · 
meowpypurrfday

I haven't even gotten a decision from UCLA, let alone funding info

Mar 16, 23 8:33 am  · 
 · 
meteoricc

I haven't gotten funding info from UW yet either

Mar 16, 23 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
OMAYYEEE123

For UW I was told they’ve already released all their scholarships to those chosen, but will re-release to others if people start rejecting their offers. So I’m assuming we may hear again sometime near beginning of April

Mar 17, 23 7:37 am  · 
3  · 
maki991

Thanks for the info!

Mar 17, 23 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
pogo91

Did anyone reach MIT admission regarding the results and heard back anything? 

Mar 17, 23 10:39 am  · 
steelydag

No, I've heard from every other school. Just not MIT :(

Mar 17, 23 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
z._.zzzz

nope

Mar 17, 23 10:55 am  · 
 · 
aspiringarchitect12

For people who have heard back from pratt M. Arch, have they announced the date of when the open house is? I still have not heard about my admission and if admitted, I would like enough time to schedule work around the open house

Mar 17, 23 11:33 am  · 
 · 
lukie

There's an admitted students day on 31 March. Unclear if this is in-person or virtual though

Mar 17, 23 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Jack Mint

Got into Upenn (3 years no$) and Rice (3.5 years with half tuition covered). Any thoughts on both schools if money is not an issue?

Mar 17, 23 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Judging by the students and grads we have employed, Rice appears to be a very good quality school. I don't know any Penn M Arch grads, so I can't offer a direct comparison in that regard.

Mar 17, 23 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Har1arch

I vote Rice

Mar 17, 23 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
steelydag

I'm from Houston and I know some folks at Rice. Seems to be a good environment and they're building new facilities; should be an exciting time to be there! Only reason I didn't apply is that I wanted to try a new place.

Mar 17, 23 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
darcyarchy

Anyone have thoughts on USC vs. UVA? With scholarships, the schools come out around the same price. 

Mar 17, 23 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
steelydag

Hi all, here's my info:

B.Eng Architectural Design, Stanford University, 2023

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

4.05, N/A, N/A

3, all from Arch dept.

I am interested in a really niche sort of architecture that matches my background. I wrote a lot about it and how it can advance the field.

• Portfolio

Several group project, solo art, wood and metalwork, and the racecar I helped work on.

Results (all M.arch I)

University of Texas at Austin, Accepted, $$

University of Pennsylvania, Accepted, $$$

McGill, Accepted, Awaiting Funding

Columbia GSAPP, Accepted, $

Yale SoA, Rejected

MIT, Awaiting Result

Mar 17, 23 7:43 pm  · 
2  · 
z._.zzzz

hi did columbia mention your $ in your award letter, or did you receive us information through your portal?

Mar 17, 23 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
steelydag

The aid I got was in my acceptance letter, yeah! I haven't seen a "financial aid doc" incl. loans yet.

Mar 17, 23 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
steelydag

Edit: McGill gave $$

Mar 17, 23 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
ZahaHadont

Congrats on the acceptances, will you be attending Penn?

Mar 20, 23 12:17 pm  · 
1  · 
steelydag

@zahahadont I will be going on tours first to make sure I have a good feel of each department! But very strong lean towards Penn right now, for sure! Thanks :D

Mar 20, 23 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
ZahaHadont

Good chance I’ll see you in class this Fall. We should connect, if you’d like.

Mar 21, 23 1:37 pm  · 
1  · 
steelydag

Yes, let’s! I will be at UPenn’s open house.

Mar 27, 23 9:27 am  · 
1  · 
ZahaHadont

Send me a DM. I’ll message you my socials.

Apr 15, 23 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
zohayahid124

any thoughts on UCLA vs Penn vs UC Berkeley?

Mar 18, 23 12:40 am  · 
 · 
atankguava

UIUC is taking so much time!!

Mar 18, 23 11:59 am  · 
 · 
Miss.Dani

They are out; I just received their email.

Mar 21, 23 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
suhaalkuhaimi

Has anyone heard back from MIT regarding M.ARCH or SMARCH?

Mar 20, 23 10:16 am  · 
1  · 
ZahaHadont

MIT has begun sending out decisions 5 days ago. Should expect to receive a decision by the end of the month at the latest.

Mar 20, 23 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Miss.Dani

Like admissions? If they are like Penn and send out admissions first, should we just assume if you haven't received anything that, you are rejected? Asking for a friend :)

Mar 20, 23 1:19 pm  · 
2  · 
pogo91

@ZahaHadont, have you heard someone being accepted? I have not seen anyone being accepted, that is why asking.

Mar 20, 23 2:13 pm  · 
1  · 
boy racer

@ZahaHadont, For M.Arch 1 as well? Sent this outside of the thread by accident

Mar 20, 23 2:55 pm  · 
1  · 
ZahaHadont

MIT has said on their website that they will
begin releasing decisions on March 15th.

Mar 20, 23 3:12 pm  · 
1  ·  1
boy racer

Nothing on GradCafe from MIT Architecture since the 15th. Hmm.

Mar 20, 23 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
pogo91

Guys, that exact text were on their website last year too but they sent acceptances much earlier in February end.

Mar 20, 23 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
pogo91

Ok, I am sorry for being negative. I hope this year is going to be different. So far, I have not seen any single acceptance either, may be this year they decided to stick to the timeline that they shared in their website.

Mar 20, 23 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
otterworldly

A part of me have considered myself rejected at this point, yet on the other hand I still want to believe they hasn’t released all the decisions yet because we have seen zero, null, nada from the entire department. Even a school as small as Princeton has at least one acceptance.

Mar 20, 23 6:00 pm  · 
3  · 
gradkid

It's so disheartening to keep waiting though because you have no clue if it'll be an acceptance or a rejection either way and knowing how minuscule the batch intake is doesn't help

Mar 21, 23 10:19 am  · 
3  · 
boy racer

Waitlist appeared from MIT M.Arch 1 just now

Mar 21, 23 4:04 pm  · 
1  · 
pogo91

You got waitlisted? Did you check portal?

Mar 21, 23 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
pobi123456

I also just saw that. From MIT’s previous years, they release admissions, waitlists, and then rejections. I will save myself and feel at peace to just consider myself as out!

Mar 21, 23 4:12 pm  · 
2  · 
puhahaga

Im just curious there is only waitlist appeared on the portal, no single acceptance? That is so strange

Mar 21, 23 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
pogo91

That is the pattern, unfortunately. Last year there was only one acceptance in the grad cafe.

Mar 21, 23 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
pobi123456

I’m not sure where @boy racer saw the waitlist (whether their portal or they
meant grad cafe) but I saw one on grad cafe at around 4pm today. Right now there is no update on my portal.

Mar 21, 23 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Miss.Dani

I saw someone getting their admission letter on another forum. I haven't received anything yet so I can proudly say that I am a MIT reject!

Mar 21, 23 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
jordanmcnamara

Whatabout SMarchS

Mar 21, 23 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

@Miss.Dani could you link it?

Mar 21, 23 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
otterworldly

Got an email earlier today about SMArchS Urbanism decision!

Mar 21, 23 9:20 pm  · 
1  · 
jordanmcnamara

I applied HTC the anticipation is killing me

Mar 21, 23 9:38 pm  · 
1  · 
Miss.Dani

its in Chinese. but that poster posted around central time soo. just March1

Mar 21, 23 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
gradkid

Someone on GradCafe got accepted to Smarchs Urbanism today and @b
oyracer got waitlisted. So they're not following the previous pattern of acceptances then waitlist

Mar 22, 23 1:13 am  · 
 · 
lasagna

Seems like it might be just international students receiving results as of now?

Mar 22, 23 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

Sorry, I meant to say that I saw the waitlist appear on Gradcafe, not on my end

Mar 22, 23 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
pogo91

It is absurdly late for even rejection letters and they are not responsive to my emails either.

Mar 22, 23 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

Yup, it's annoying at this point lol. But no way this isn't the last week... Next week they have spring break

Mar 22, 23 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
Otto Desc

And according to their website their accepted student event is on April 4th

Mar 22, 23 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
KJLarch

I got wait listed letter

Mar 23, 23 1:59 am  · 
 · 
eieizzz

Anyone has news from the SMarchS HTC program? No portal updates/emails on my side so far

Mar 23, 23 10:32 am  · 
 · 
jordanmcnamara

Still waiting for the same thing …

Mar 23, 23 10:34 am  · 
1  · 
pogo91

I have received an update from MIT. I have not checked it yet though. I forgot my password hahaha

Mar 24, 23 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

Finally received my rejection!!

Mar 24, 23 12:27 pm  · 
3  · 
pogo91

cheers to that!!!

Mar 24, 23 12:28 pm  · 
1  · 
Miss.Dani

Cheers to the Rejectssss!!!!!

Mar 24, 23 2:38 pm  · 
1  · 
ZahaHadont

@Miss.Dani I’m actually intrigued, how many schools have you applied too?

Mar 24, 23 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Miss.Dani

12 in total, got into 5. 2 safety 3 targets and the rest were ivy and mit. Got into a surprisingly good reach school w $$ by the end of the day and I am happy. Might do a conclusion at the end of the day

Mar 24, 23 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
superrrduperrrr

@Miss.Dani
must have spent like a grand on applications. You are the backbone of this community

Mar 24, 23 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Miss.Dani

i was scared that i wasn't going to get into any. but now im like 'hell yeah i was right' will write a detailed process essay

Mar 24, 23 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

For M.Arch 1 as well? 

Mar 20, 23 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
vivekkpatell

Does anyone have updates on when UCLA will release admission results? I've only seen a few acceptances on here and gradcafe. 

Mar 20, 23 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
meowpypurrfday

I can't believe we're still waiting

Mar 20, 23 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
voguescholar

Has anyone heard back from University of British Columbia or University of Toronto for M.Arch I?

Mar 21, 23 12:44 am  · 
 · 
boy racer

Gradcafe has had some acceptances from UBC: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?per_page=20&q=&institution=&program=Architecture&degree=Masters

Mar 21, 23 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
maki991

Someone on gradcafe received ut, you heard anything back?

Mar 21, 23 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
mrcutout

UofT's decisions were out, at least on my end!

Mar 22, 23 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
aspiringarchitect12

Finally heard back from pratt, luckily was accepted

Mar 23, 23 4:33 pm  · 
2  · 
meekiko

Congrats!!! What time did you hear from them?

Mar 23, 23 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
aspiringarchitect12

Thanks! 4:15 EST. Unfortunately I heard back so late tho that I had already made a decision for next year, they really shouldn’t send acceptances out this late

Mar 23, 23 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
wawalala

Yes!!! me too!!! I thought I didn't have a chance since many ppl received acceptance so early on.. anyways, congrats to u and me!! (just saw that ur not going, congratz anyway! may i ask where ur going?)

Mar 23, 23 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
aspiringarchitect12

Congrats to you as well! I have not put down a deposit yet but I plan to attend UVA

Mar 24, 23 10:11 am  · 
2  · 
meekiko

Hi! Still anxiously waiting on my end. Did either of you apply for scholarship, specifically the Diamonstein-Spielvogel Fellowship?

Mar 24, 23 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
wawalala

Question:

Penn vs Pratt?

Ive heard from my friends that Penn's studio is very intense and the critique culture/some of the profs are quite toxic, but I don't really know about Pratt... suggestions? 

Mar 23, 23 10:17 pm  · 
1  · 
wawalala

also, which school in terms of employment? i know penn is ivy but pratt is in NYC ? would location matter?

Mar 23, 23 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
aspiringarchitect12

I would think in terms of location they wouldn't be that different since Philly is a big city with plenty of job opportunities. Also I think the reputation of an ivy like penn carries more weight than pratt

Mar 24, 23 10:12 am  · 
 · 
ZahaHadont

Not only that, Philadelphia is like an hour away from NY.

Mar 24, 23 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
ZahaHadont

@wawalala if the cost works out to be the same, it makes more sense to go to Penn. As aspiringarchitect pointed out, the name holds considerably more weight and could open up the doors to more opportunities. Still love Pratt though.

Mar 24, 23 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
tecnicamente

Any input on Cornell vs. UCLA?
Also does UCLA grant merit scholarships? I didn’t see any mention of it in my acceptance letter. 

Mar 23, 23 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
z._.zzzz

I’m having a hard time choosing between more prestigious (but very expensive) universities like cornell and columbia,  or choosing a more affordable one like UIUC or UMich. 

I barely received any $ from Cornell and Columbia, if anyone’s decided to go there how do you plan on funding the next 3 years? I am eligible for the fafsa but they haven’t received that information yet. (I also tried emailing Columbia about giving me $ but it was pointless)

Mar 24, 23 11:26 am  · 
 · 
boy racer

If I may ask, how much did you receive? I plan on using the scholarship and (hopefully) the assistantship options to fund a big portion. I think I calculated it to be $76k that I would have to pay in total through other means. Sucks that GSAPP assistantships don’t carry a tuition waiver or liveable stipend. Think I can pay that $76k through FAFSA low interest loans.

Mar 24, 23 12:01 pm  · 
1  · 
z._.zzzz

I got 15k for Cornell and none for Columbia. I’m also hoping that the FAFSA will come through but they haven’t sent us any information regarding federal aid yet, which is why im hesitant to make a commitment.

Mar 24, 23 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

15k is alright. Btw, FAFSA does not give pell-grants to graduate students, only undergrads. It might be different if you're international, but yea, it will just be more loans lol. I think the most loans they will give out are 23k/semester, but at least they are low-interest because they come from the government.

Mar 24, 23 2:07 pm  · 
2  · 
normansfosterchild

@boy racer have you reached out to Columbia for additional aid? I have received about 30k from the school and am wondering if that’s the max?

Mar 24, 23 2:18 pm  · 
1  · 
boy racer

Yes, but it is pointless, they will just redirect you to some basic info.

Mar 24, 23 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
z._.zzzz

@boy racer have you received the fafsa information from any unis yet tho? UMich is the only one for me to have released official financial aid packages yet.

Mar 24, 23 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

Not yet, Columbia stated they would get it ready a bit after you confirm your decision, if I rmemeher correctly. SCI-Arc gave me it really fast lol

Mar 24, 23 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
SZCR

I received 45$ deans scholarship from Columbia, and an email saying that financial aid award packages will be decided next month (?)

Mar 25, 23 3:30 am  · 
 · 
boy racer

I got my financial-aid package just now. As expected, it's just the scholarship listed on your admissions letter and a loan.

Mar 27, 23 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
superrrduperrrr

**taps microphone for MIT**

Is this thing on? 

Mar 24, 23 11:48 am  · 
2  · 
z._.zzzz

Just got rejected! They emailed me a link to the portal and that’s where i got the decision lol. (completely fine w being rejected lol since i got into every other school i applied to)

Mar 24, 23 12:48 pm  · 
5  · 
Annakeichline

got an email just now

Mar 24, 23 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
NotYetParanoid

Just got rejected from SMarchS HTC

Mar 24, 23 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
pogo91

Good luck to everyone in making the right decision! It was fun hanging out and being part of this clearly very talented, smart, and genuine community! It felt good to wait anxiously together! I will see some of you at Yale probably!

Cheers to us! 

Mar 24, 23 5:45 pm  · 
3  · 
ahjun

do u have any tips for negotiating scholarships

Mar 25, 23 3:38 am  · 
 · 
pogo91

Unfortunately I do not have. I asked the same question but no one shared anything.

Mar 25, 23 9:26 am  · 
 · 
ahjun

Dang I hope someone did.

Mar 25, 23 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Miss.Dani

Top 50 Midwest big engineering school. Graduated Spring 2020. Majored Computer graphics, graduated with Dual Major in BIM and DV, Minored in CMT and OG Leadership. 3 internships during undergrad (print making, 2 big GC VDC positions) working in a small firm on BIM and tech stuff now. Did all kinds of activities in undergrad, research and published in house with DOI. Won research presentations and all that stuff. A transfer so looking at MArch 1 - 3 year programs. 

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.68/4.0 - Not taking that crap - been in the states since middle school am not going to take it. MIT was not the exception

4 letters of recommendations: 

1. Undergraduates Major 1 prof, super close to me since it was a tight nit major. Asked for his recommendations before I graduated just in case. Submitted his LOR request in October and got it done the next day. Was a Good prof and prob a good essay. He did all my schools
  2. Undergraduate Major 2 prof, was my research director of 2 years, did 1 DOI under her and 2 poster conferences in undergrads with her 2. Was a dumb ass and ruined my relationship with her before I graduated. Was able to built that back and got 5 letters from her. Sent those to my reach and main target 
  3. Boss at work, submitted his relatively quick. However he didn’t believe in LOR? So i doubt his letters were super good. But he submitted for all my schools
  4. Mentor in the industry. Super sweet and provided some good professional developments aspects of me as well since I had a turbulent education/professional early developments. Submitted to the majority for my schools.

My essay was mainly about me rediscovery of my passion in design and the arts. Since I was a art student in high school, I was able to regain a lot of those creative kills after working in an Arch firm for 2 years. Also mentioned my tech background at work and how I bring a unique perspective to the table. Also mentioned a shit load of humanistic design approaches, sustainability and community building work to balance off my more technical portfolio. 

• Portfolio

5 main projects, a tone of undergraduate modeling work, (revit only) research posters and art work at the end. All self directed project with a lot of colors. You can definitely tell that this was super personal (maybe a little too much chaos?) and not the old school black and white with a splash of color portfolio.

1. Traditional architecture work of a community building for little kids. Renderings, sections, floor plans, research, site studies, the whole nine yards. Even did a shitty lil 3D model IRL. About 4 A3 pages
  2. Big city urban study about access of education. Sounds legit, was one of those weird ideas that blasted out of my head. Similar to the previous project but was not really buildings? About 4 A3 pages
  3. Local theater design idea with Rhino and GH work. First time venturing into that realm and you can tell. There was a lot of love in this project since its a local work. The site studies and SD was all done IRL. About 4 A3 pages
  4. #2 on the weird ideas range. A partner manga/comic project with a friend on transhumanism, end of the world, sustainability, space travel and all that stuff. You can really see the direction of the portfolio getting into personal territories. About 5 pages of A3. Came up with all the ideas and drawings, my partner did a lot of the modeling in Rhino and GH (the only parts that’s really “architecture)
  5. IRL model of a shadow study. #3 on the weird ideas range (we can see a pattern here) I still don't know what’s going on here but I guess I’m trying to communicate with people through their shadows? About 3 pages of A3 paper. 
  • Schools 

Do as I say not as I do. I was panicky and applied to 12 schools :): 

Safety: UIUC, Syracuse

Targets: WashU (main target), Rice, U Mich

Reach’s but hopeful: Penn, Columbia

Lottery: Harvard GSD, Princeton, Yale, MIT, Cornell

• Open house impressions 

I didn’t do open house and I am in the Midwest so I’m not going anywhere. But I was able to schedule a 1 on 1 with Wash U. DO IT IF YOU HAVE A CHANCE. The director came out and basically crit my portfolio at the time and it was super helpful to get their perspective as well. 

• Results 

Accepted into: UIUC, Syracuse w $$, Wash U, U Mich w $ and Cornell w $. (someone needs to explain what $,$$,and $$$ means because its all $$$ in my eyes)

Rejected from everywhere else, no WL. Proud IVY League Reject (Cornell I love you)

BTW, Penn did early admissions, from my observation on various sites, if you didn’t get that email before the 7th you are out. If you wanna reject me just flat out reject me. I know its exciting to get in and get that email but for the ones that didn’t get it. It freaking sucked hard. 

• Tips
  1. It’s all a game. The moment you submit your application you can’t do anything. Don’t want to admit this but it is very much you against your peers that we try to support. You only need to get into one since you are going to one
  2. Start early, I did this shit for 3 years and it was basically eating my weekends and free after work hours away. Stay organized with all your school requirements because some need special stuff (IRL mail, weird prompt for PS, sealed transcript) have a separate email for grads school app things
  3. Q&A and any kind of info session dont do much to your application, I went to all kinds of info sessions for Harvard Penn and didn’t get any tip from them other then some pretty vanilla suggestions. So save your time on that. Won’t say much about open house but one on one IRL tours are super helpful 
  4. Have resources, have mentors and friends that would read your things and crit your portfolios, connect with people from the school to see if it is a good fit or not. It’s sad to say but schools have preferences. Rice and Yale are clearly looking for student (if you are an transfer) from an artistic background. Do you research and see if that school is what you are looking for and matches your background
  5. From here is all my speculation so take it with a grain of salt :) because of Involving and overqualified people applying for basic schools. The bars and criteria’s of the top schools are getting worst every year. I have a mentor that works with helping proof read and crit portfolios and he said that this year was particularly hard because he saw a huge jump from people from all walks of life apply to MArch. This is ok and I am not gate keeping, but this means the whole process is getting VERY COMPETITIVE. Especially Ivy schools, they are definitely looking more at your background now. I would even say that your portfolio isn’t that important comparing to your undergraduate diploma and recommendations in their POV base from what I have read online. 
  6. Know your school before you commit. Learn from peoples comments in this forum. Dont just commit to a school because its prestigious. Connections are important but learning and education and importing as an architect is what why we are here (or at least me) Knowing the right people will take you a long way yes, but knowing how to do things right is also important, besides your merit based scholarship depends on it :)

I gained a lot of insight from this form and I could not thank the community more. I think getting into good schools definitely deserves a round of applause, but getting into regular schools also deserves to be taken seriously. After all only 0.12% of the US holds a degree from the Ivys. My application said a lot about me, who I am and how I approach things and I guess that somehow, connected with the people at Cornell and I hope what I did can inspire the community as well. Keep on fighting and learning architects! We are not alone :)

Also if you are going to Cornell pleas DM/PM me i need friends to survive the winter in up state NY.

Mar 26, 23 6:37 pm  · 
2  · 
ZahaHadont

Loved reading this, and happy that you got into an Ivy in the end! Maybe we can connect on social media. Would like to stay in contact.

Apr 15, 23 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
vivekkpatell

Anyone else still waiting on UCLA? No response to inquiry email as well.

Mar 26, 23 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
meowpypurrfday

Still waiting. I'm just assuming it's a rejection for me at this point.

Mar 26, 23 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
vivekkpatell

Do they send rejections last? UCLA is my top choice so I hope not lol

Mar 27, 23 12:11 am  · 
 · 
meowpypurrfday

Any luck?

Mar 29, 23 1:22 am  · 
 · 
vivekkpatell

Nope, no updates yet.

Mar 29, 23 2:10 am  · 
 · 
meowpypurrfday

I’m still waiting over here. How how you?

Mar 31, 23 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
vivekkpatell

Still waiting as well.

Mar 31, 23 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
meowpypurrfday

Just got my rejection this morn. It’s been so long and I’ve gotten so far in the process with another school that I barely even care anymore LOL. But it is still a bummer.

Apr 1, 23 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
vivekkpatell

Just got my rejection too lol, really bummed out since it was my first choice. Regardless, good luck at whatever school you decide to attend!

Apr 1, 23 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
meowpypurrfday

Where do you think you’ll end up?

Apr 2, 23 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
_kaleidoscope_

Hello everyone,

It's been amazing to be a part of this forum. Amidst all the anxiety and restlessness that comes with the application process, it felt nice to know that I'm not alone. Congratulations to everyone on their admits.

I'm writing this message as a humble request to you all. Taubman College (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor) is my top choice where I am currently placed on the waitlist.

I know I have absolutely no right to ask any of you guys for this but I wouldn't feel like I gave it my 100% if I don't bring it up. If anyone of you with an admit at Taubman have received better offers which you have decided you're going to take (I don't intend to force anyone, only if you have already made a decision of going elsewhere), if you could be so kind to decline your offers at Taubman. 

I spoke to the admissions counselor and they told me they didn't accept anyone off the waitlist last year so I know my chances are next to zero, but it's just hard to give up knowing I'm close. 

I hope I don't come across as rude or anything via this post as that is not my intention and I hope you understand. 

P.S. I'm from India and I completed my B.Arch in 2022. I applied for the M.Arch program at Taubman College (2 year - advanced standing).

Mar 26, 23 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Miss.Dani

bro i got you, will be declining this up coming week. hopefully that gives you a bit more chance here

Mar 26, 23 11:26 pm  · 
1  · 
_kaleidoscope_

Thanks @Miss.Dani

Mar 27, 23 1:21 am  · 
 · 
layasusan

Hey Guys, 

Very late to this thread but I'm here now. 

I've been accepted to the M.arch 2 program (without Aid) at Taubman, Sci-Arc, Uni of Washington, UIUC and Georgia Tech. I am from India and although I've done my research on each of these schools, as an international student I would love to hear anybody's and everybody's insight on the pro's and con's of each college. (Literally anything would be helpful!)

At the moment, I am leaning towards Georgia Tech/ Umich Taubman, but Taubman is significantly more $$$, and so I am very torn. 

I would love to hear what you as an individual would do in my place. 

Thanks in advance :)

Mar 27, 23 1:48 am  · 
 · 
boy racer

All of those, except for Taubman, are of pretty much equal prestige/reputation, so it would mainly be a question of who gave you the most money. Then, it would be preference, which you could do your own research in and so on; SCI-Arc is the really experimental/visual one of the bunch. Sucks that Taubman didn't gi ve you money, it would be an easy choice then.

Mar 27, 23 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
novath

Congratulations to everyone! Does anyone plan to not accept an offer from GSAAP M.Arch? Was waitlisted and I'm unsure about my chances :/

Mar 27, 23 6:44 am  · 
 · 
nanhongan

Waitlisted as well here :(

Mar 27, 23 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
mrcutout

I am going to reject my M.Arch I offer from GSAPP so hopefully it increases your chance of being taken off the wait list!

Mar 28, 23 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
novath

Thank you, mrcutout! Good luck on your M.Arch pursuit as well!

Mar 31, 23 5:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: