Archinect
anchor

Moonlighting Advice

superkeith

Greetings All - 

I work in NYC at a good firm on core and shell for high rises for the past 3 years. I got a raise at the beginning of the year but I am interested in earning more money. I think I can make more money switching firms, than waiting for the incremental increase I am due for at the end of the year. I am currently revising my resume/work sample to see what else is out there. 

More to the point of this post. I do like my current firm and projects/experience, I am not sure something better is out there for me at this time. So I am interested in moonlighting to earn more money than I am getting through my firm. 

I ask you great members of archinect forum for any advice or shared experiences with moonlighting my questions are:

1. what websites/resources are good to find work?

2. what precautions should be taken to ensure proper compensation?

3. what are red flags to watch out for ?

4. How can I increase my visibility and get clients trust to start?

5. Any/all advice and input is greatly appreciated

--if there are previous posts/discussions on this topic that could answer my questions please direct me to them 

thanks for your time 

Aug 28, 22 2:56 pm
The_Crow

It's easy for visualization, but I'm unsure of the liability/risk you're exposing yourself to with more technical work. 

Aug 28, 22 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

If you moonlight, you are potentially putting your employer in jeopardy.  If you screw up, and your moonlight client comes after you legally, they can potentially go after your employer’s E&O insurance.  There is established president for this.

Aug 29, 22 1:24 am  · 
 · 
Kinsbergen

precedent *

Aug 29, 22 2:39 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

Thanks…autocorrect. :)

Aug 29, 22 9:12 am  · 
 · 

1. what websites/resources are good to find work?

I dunno, fiver?  That's what your initial clients you find online are going to want to pay you. A better resource is your current employer.  

2. what precautions should be taken to ensure proper compensation?

Contracts that define who's doing what and for how much

3. what are red flags to watch out for ?

The same red flags as any architectural project.  Clients who want you to reduce fees right away before knowing what you're going to be providing.  Unrealistic deadlines.  Ect.

4. How can I increase my visibility and get clients trust to start?

Talk to your current employer.  By getting your employers blessing they can pass you work that the don't want to take on.  

5. Any/all advice and input is greatly appreciated

Don't do it UNLESS your employer says it's OK.  Create an LLC and if needed get insurance.  

Aug 29, 22 10:38 am  · 
2  · 
Miyadaiku

I've done some minor "side hustle" early on in the past and it fizzled out and honestly was glad because it wasn't even worth the headache on top of full time work. It was irresponsible and I regret it. You have the solution in your own post.

"I think I can make more money switching firms"

Then just do that. As long as you don't burn any bridges it is the go to low risk, high reward way to increase your earnings. You can also grow as a professional by learning another organization's way of doing things. If your current place really wants you to stay, they'll counter offer. You run the risk of not liking your new workplace, though.

It sounds like you are on good terms with your employer so consider asking them if there is an opportunity to expand their portfolio into a different project type. Perhaps you can work together starting small at first and end up managing a division as their flagship architect of that type(aka, more money). Although moonlighting sounds cool and romantic, this is a much more realistic way to get into varied work and retain the good situation you have at your company. They may not be interested, but that is not a conversation that should cause any rifts in your relationship. An employee that expands a company's market is of immense value and is usually compensated accordingly.

Instead if you consider moonlighting and it is successful, how would your employer not find out? You better hope it blossoms into your own profitable business real quick because they'll be pissed. If it isn't really successful, you'll get burned out and probably mess things up at work as well because you aren't focused.

tl;dr - not worth it

Aug 31, 22 12:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: