Archinect
anchor

Thoughts on a square (neither landscape nor portrait) landscape architecture portfolio?

otherplacer

Hi all! I'm beginning to format my application portfolio for MLA programs, and am seriously considering opting for a somewhat different style. Most MLA application portfolios I see online are horizontal (12x18in or 11x17in), while I've seen a few M.Arch ones that opt for vertical. But I've been considering taking a different route and going with a square portfolio (something like 12x12in or 16x16in). I think it would showcase my projects - many of which employ organizational grid layers - more appropriately, and maybe help my portfolio stand out a little more in a sea of applications. What are your thoughts? Is this sacrilegious, or is it worth a shot if done right?  

Aug 20, 22 3:14 pm
ivanmillya

Don't do it. Most admissions departments operate like businesses do with resumes. If yours doesn't fit neatly with the rest of their huge stack of portfolios, it's going to make someone frustrated, not excited. Rely on your content, not the shape of the booklet.

Aug 20, 22 4:32 pm  · 
2  · 
monosierra

If they specify a dimension, do exactly what is specified.

Also consider that some admission committees review portfolios on a screen. The specified dimensions might be due to the common screen aspect ratios. You don't want your portfolio to get squeezed into the middle when displayed to a committee. There's really little time to zoom in and out just for your sake.

As Millet said, shape is irrelevant compared to content. You are showing your work, not your shape preference.

Aug 20, 22 4:54 pm  · 
2  · 
robhaw

As others mentioned above, always follow the admissions department guidelines strictly. On a different note, from my experience with experimenting with various layouts I found that the square setup is rather impractical. This is because most architectural drawings (in particular sections) are elongated. What is more, if you need to have a print version, a square portfolio takes more pre-press and custom binding work.

Aug 20, 22 5:10 pm  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

I always advise students to use 8.5x11 or A3 (depending on geography) because it can be printed on a normal printer and a full spread is an 11x17, which looks quite good. 

Aug 20, 22 7:33 pm  · 
3  · 
ivanmillya

This is what I did for my portfolio. It made it physically fit really nicely with my resume, one-pager, and cover letter. I also used to bring a more custom 12x18 spread version with me to interviews, so I could show off my professional work to actual scale.

Aug 20, 22 7:44 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

I concur with those who recommend a conventional layout.

I formatted all the many sheets for my master's thesis project as 18-inch squares (or multiples thereof); I think I'd just bought a big 18" roll of vellum.  The sheets looked fine on the wall, but were a real pain to later print in a way that looked coherent and didn't lop off important parts.

Conformity is not always a bad thing.

Aug 20, 22 8:21 pm  · 
1  · 
whistler

Do what you want just make sure the composition and content are top notch.  It's a design program, show them you can design shit not check boxes.

Aug 24, 22 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

This is horrible advice IF the place you're applying to sets portfolio sizes.

Aug 24, 22 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

There was no "set format" noted or stated. I will stick with my advice UNO!

Aug 24, 22 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

. . . and most MLA programs have standard portfolio size requirements. I will stick with my advice.

Aug 24, 22 6:44 pm  · 
1  · 
Stasis

lol, i personally may get excited by triangular portfolios or pop-up cards as you open pages, it pops up a physical 3D model of the design... but after 10 of those, i may find it annoying.. :)

Aug 24, 22 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

It's those irregular heptagonal portfolios with recorded sounds at every page turn that catches reviewers' attention. That confetti burst and snippet of Stairway To Heaven in the last project will seal the deal and get an offer every time.

Aug 25, 22 12:44 am  · 
1  · 
Stasis

i was told by one professor that they really don't like portfolios not following the guidelines.  Almost seeing it as inaptitude.  They like portfolios stacked nicely, so that can carry a big chunk then review them one by one.  If one falls off or it's larger than the rest that makes it harder for a professor to carry, then they get irritated and review those incompliant portfolios with more critical eyes. 

Aug 24, 22 8:21 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

doing a portfolio that doesn’t conform to the size requirements does not make me think “oh what a creative person”.  It’s the lowest form of thinking outside the box, and imo unnecessary novelty.  Spend your time proof reading the text and editing the images and just follow the format rules.  Content is what matters.  

Aug 25, 22 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: