Archinect
anchor

All my grad school friends getting 80k…s

AJgold

Ones took a gap year 

They are now being offered 70-90K range which used to be 60-80K just. a year ago

Feeling defeated.I work for K

Jul 19, 22 1:48 am
AJgold

inflation is real but employers don’t care about current employee

Jul 19, 22 1:49 am  · 
 · 
blackdogsketch

You typically make the biggest salary jumps when you go to a new employer.  Also a good chance to repackage yourself and move more towards what you really want to do.  If a firm can't even keep up with cost-of-living increases...that's not someplace that's going to be good long-term.

Jul 21, 22 11:10 am  · 
1  · 
ArchKid

good advice, except the whole industry is like that. Salary will never align with increase cost of living

Aug 4, 22 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

With very few expectations no industries salaries have kept up with inflation. This isn't unique to the architectural industry. For example, if pay had kept up with inflation then minimum wage would be in the $25 an hour range.

Aug 5, 22 11:51 am  · 
 · 
The_Crow

In what cities and at what types of firms are new hires getting $70-90k?

Also if you're feeling defeated, why don't you go to those firms as well?

Jul 21, 22 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

With a looming recession, I would not be asking for that type of money unless you are extremely intelligent and can shake things up. Average folks that are overpaid end getting laid off - too many are getting the big bux, when they can't pull that kind of weight. Look what's happening at Facebook - he's cleaning house of those that don't pack the right gear. Better to get solid experience and gradually move up in pay.  

Jul 21, 22 11:52 pm  · 
2  ·  1
baboo.fei

Would expect middle management to get culled first tho, the savings of getting rid of juniors don’t really justify the cost of losing those bodies since junior pay is low to begin with.

Jul 22, 22 7:10 am  · 
2  · 
reallynotmyname

When work slows down, a mid level person can pick up junior tasks to fill up gaps in their workload, while keeping a junior person occupied can be a lot more difficult. Especially the B and C team players who don't have a lot of initiative.

Jul 22, 22 9:08 am  · 
1  · 
ArchKid

its doable in big cities 

Jul 22, 22 7:53 am  · 
1  · 
przemula

Can someone confirm this? There's new thread right under this one about licensed senior PM making 100k with 12 years of experience, also saying that he tried really hard and switched jobs frequently. So the gap between seasoned professional like that and new hire would be 20k? I don't think it's possible

Jul 22, 22 10:01 am  · 
 · 
ArchKid

depends on role, city, market, skills etc...

Jul 22, 22 10:09 am  · 
1  · 
przemula

We're talking about large city like NYC, LA or maybe Chicago (?). OP with 12 years exp is based in NYC, and when it comes to role it usually is PA/PM or something in between. What role a graduate can take and what skills he can have to get 80k?

Jul 22, 22 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
ArchKid

With 12 years of experience, you shouldnt be just a PM. should be moving up in the ranking. Unless he doesn't want to get into management positions. Directors of departments make 150K+

Jul 22, 22 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe I got stiffed, but my first job out of school was for an average multi-family firm in NYC, where I made about $36k ($18/hr) as a 1099. Right before I left that job, I was making $20/hr (still 1099). This was back in 2018. Some of my peers who had just graduated were making as much as 50k a year in NYC, but I don't see how that would jump to 80k for new graduates over the course of four years...

Aug 5, 22 11:10 am  · 
 · 
przemula

Similar situation here; I started in small residential firm in Chicago in January 2018 with $40k which was around $20 being on W2 form though. Now I make $55-60k and ask for $75k while applying because around 10 recruiters contacted me recently. Not licensed but will take my first ARE soon. How can a graduate make 80k is beyond my imagination - people right out of school here don't know real lumber sizes, don't know how to measure building, let alone put any type of set of drawings together. I've heard first hand stories of people in IT making good money in big corporations not knowing anything, but I don't think it applies here

Aug 5, 22 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
przemula

^Jovan Millet, how much are you making now?

Aug 5, 22 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

Maybe its 80k with some type of bonus structure & they're just leaving that part out? Fresh out of school four years ago I was making 52k base with a 10k bonus each year. In the last 4 years the base has only gone up to 70k but the bonus doubled to 20k. So it's "90k" but only feels like it when one particularly large paycheck rolls around at the end of November. I'm not in a big market, so I could see someone in a large metropolitan area getting a higher base salary than I got starting out in 2018 & then getting lucky with bonuses perhaps.

Aug 5, 22 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
ArchKid

Funny part in all of this, I had interviews when I requested 80K, and they tell me "I'm assuming this is with bonus included". Im just like wtf? How am I suppose to know how much bonus I'm getting.

Aug 5, 22 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

Przemula, I make $70k base salary right now, working for a small residential firm in Florida. When I initially got my license, I had a pay bump from $50k to 60k.

Aug 5, 22 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
aDesigns
The AIA surveys US architecture firms and curates a helpful tool to see compensations across roles and regions:

https://info.aia.org/salary/

Check it out - I think you’ll find it relevant for this thread.
Aug 4, 22 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
ArchKid

- Data is current as of Jan. 1, 2021.
- You can get paid more than what is shown here

Aug 4, 22 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

Keep in mind that there is an upcoming recession that we'll be seeing cropping up around spring 2023. There are some pre-recession signs happening right now but a recession is all but absolutely certain. How bad the recession will be, hard to say but I would not expect it to be as bad as the previous unless the government does some really bonehead stupid shit.

Aug 5, 22 2:26 am  · 
Bench

Regular reminder that you should probably disregard anything RB posts about with any certainty here.

Aug 5, 22 9:10 am  · 
 · 

I only stated what many economists are alerting about regarding a recession looming. 

It seems like this site's administration/moderators were full of it when they stated: "We removed all comments that were posted by anonymous users and left all posted by people using their real names. Too much anonymous, toxic chest-puffing going on. We'll continue moderating it and will only allow people commenting with their real names OR comments sharing thoughtful contributions to the discussion. Negative comments are welcome if they're smart and informed.

Bench's comment above is not really a thoughtful contribution and is really a flame bait. My comment above, although I did not go further than stating about a recession looming and anchor it further to the particular thread specifics, it was to alert some caution about demanding more pay, at this time. What I was alluding to, is that right now, careful consideration about approaching discussions with the employer about a significant increase in pay. Many of the firms' owners are looking at the prospect of a recession and slow down in work and potential slow down in account receivables... such as when clients decide to put their projects on hold or even cancelling such projects. I didn't get into that because of other things so I haven't got into it or expressed what I wanted to convey and even still is somewhat haphazardly stated.

Aug 8, 22 4:49 am  · 
 · 
Bench

My comment stands.

Aug 8, 22 8:25 am  · 
 · 

No one should even care what you say, bench. Anonymous people... no accountability. If you are going to talk about someone else, do it in your real name and stand behind what you say/write in your real name and stand accountable to what you say or write.

Aug 8, 22 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

To the contrary, you'd do best going back to the anonymous posting (you know, like you had for 3 years)

Aug 8, 22 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

As I understand it, the forum administration and moderators had explicitly stated they were going to be deleting posts of anonymous users. It was stated in Thread Central. I have a better idea in mind.

Aug 8, 22 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

That was speaking specifically about that news article. Reading is fundamental.

Aug 8, 22 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

I didn't want to sift threw all the back and forth between "Archinect" and "kikkidy". It sounded to me that while it was with regards to the particular thread but also that it was going to also be a new operational policy going forward as well. Perhaps, it's just a weaseling around what was being which further implies the administration / moderation practices of this forum are problematic and haphazard to say it in the kindest way I can.

Aug 8, 22 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You mean the owners don't feel like they owe anyone consistency? Man. Private property sucks, eh?

Aug 8, 22 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

It's what it is. It doesn't mean it doesn't cause frustration for the users on the forum.

Aug 8, 22 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
aDesigns
As I researched more compensation benchmarks, it turns out that Archinect also curates a considerable database:

https://salaries.archinect.com/

This is a useful repository; worth checking out (especially in conjunction with the above-referenced ‘AIA Compensation Survey Calculator’)
Aug 11, 22 7:33 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: