Archinect
anchor

I need inspiration/guidance for when I'm too damn tired.

archKash

A while ago I made a post about whether I should go to M.arch graduate school or join the successful family business in low voltage security. 

I studied business in university and really hated it. I taught myself Rhino, V-Ray and Adobe software out of self interest. I have been designing/rendering products for a couple of years as that is what I love doing. But after getting married, my father swayed me to join the business, even for just a few years. I am currently working 10-12 hour shifts doing jobs that I really hate like programming TV remotes and testing fire systems... etc. There is a lot of workflow streamlining that I am planning on implementing once I am more familiar with the business in general -there are a ton of issues and the environment is very cut-throat. I am thankful for the opportunity but I really cannot see myself doing this into my thirties. I really dread going to sleep and redoing just another day of alarm installations. I feel so misplaced because I love designing. Even if his company was a product company instead of a service company, I would be more content. 

Anyway, on off days I do spent a lot of time designing products and buildings. I do freelance work and personal projects. However, after a long day on my feet I have a hard time being vertical. I always thought designing was not work to me but after a 10 hour shift, I can't sit on Rhino. 

So if anyone has any encouragement or guidance, it would be much appreciated. I'm sure this is not a unique situation. I have been sketching a lot more. I just really want to create a great portfolio for M.arch programs and I'm only getting older. 

Thanks!

Jul 11, 22 8:55 pm
newbie.Phronesis

Sounds like you have burnout. I hope you recover/feel better soon, but there isn't much I can say not already in a variety of guides out there. Short term, I'd cut back on the hours and/or be more relaxed on the job, and take a day off now and then (seriously, three day weekends are the best). Streamlining and improving workflow sounds like a great goal and should help alleviate stress, work towards it and make it happen!

Hope that helps a bit, cheers!

Jul 11, 22 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

If that successful family business can get you a self-designed custom build $2M house and a Ferrari. It probably beats working in an architecture office with a typical salary making ends meet. If you only get paid a typical salary, then it probably is worse than working in architecture jobs. 

Jul 12, 22 5:31 pm  · 
1  · 

If you're mediocre at any career then you'll realistically only make mediocre money. This is the case for every profession.

Jul 12, 22 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
archKash

My father is great at what he does. He great at managing people, rational quick thinking and networking. He would be impatient spending hours on a design. I mean he started the company in the first place doing something he is interested in. But these two comments are at the heart of my dilemma.

Jul 12, 22 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Well, OP. With a successful family business, I would assume you are financially stable. You definitely could pursue a master degree and work in Architecture to try it out. The worst case is to come back to the family business if it does not work out as you imagined. But honestly, most likely scenario is another job with only a portion of work being "design". Even If you start your own architecture firm after you have your license and professional knowledge, it will likely be doing small projects. Big fancy jobs goes to the big name large firms. It will be even less design work. You have to do client management, project management, consultant management, accountings, drafting, agency filings, dealing with contractors, etc. If you think you will be the next starchitect, only handling the big designs, leave the rest boring work to the employees. Well, good luck.

Jul 13, 22 11:24 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

maybe try not designing in rhino? Pen and paper for a few days/weeks will be a good change of scenery and can be much more spontaneous. 

Jul 12, 22 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

oh you sound like my design studio coordinator.....

Jul 12, 22 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I was one, many years ago. I figured my cliche comment would draw some long-buried memories.

Jul 12, 22 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
archKash

Thanks for the advice!

Jul 12, 22 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

don’t ask us, ask your 90 year old self.  

Jul 12, 22 7:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: