Archinect
anchor

Haven't practiced architecture since I graduated; Accidentally accepted a freelance job that might be too much for me. What do I do?

kibugogo

I graduated 3 years ago. Architecture school was a rocky journey for me but it culminated on a high note; I landed my very first project not too long after graduating and then I went out to find a job... right as the pandemic started. Not even a fully realized project on the CV was able to help me land a job when there was so much uncertainty, so I ended up getting a completely unrelated job at a friend's print shop. 

I recently started checking architecture job listings, and not only do I get a little discouraged because the wages are kind of terrible, but also because after 3 years of hiatus, I don't have the "experience" to even apply. 

Today, however, I received a call from one of the shop's usual clients who was told that I helped design some brand identity for a clinic, as well as some furniture, and now wants me to be his architect for his own project. I didn't know how to explain that I didn't literally build a clinic and that I simply helped my graphic design friend make some measurements so we could put some vinyl decorations on the walls and that all I did was simple furniture designs to outsource, so I accidentally agreed to meet them up a couple days from now to actually hear what the project is all about. 

I think I said yes absentmindedly because a lot of issues were piling up in my head: My family who comments on how I went to college just to end up not doing architecture for a living, my friend who has his own business and is growing whilst I'm stuck not knowing where to progress and time going by and me not practicing architecture in the least. 

I found this forum by chance and it's inspiring seeing so many people enthusiastic about architecture. I've never been passionate about it, but then again I've never even had the chance to get fully involved in the field post-graduation. Right now I am terrified of this job being way too much to handle, or me not being the right person for it due to a lack of experience and the lack of a team. Is it wise to go into this project like this? How can I at least pretend to be knowledgeable in the subject for the day of this scheduled meeting? Man, I sure sound pathetic, but I don't have a circle of architect friends whom I can talk to and I really am desperate and all up in my thoughts. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Jul 7, 22 5:12 pm
atelier nobody

Depending on where the project is located, they will almost certainly need a licensed architect. There's no harm in you meeting with them, as long as you tell them you are not a licensed architect and that the purpose of the meeting is to ascertain whether the scope of work is even within the limitations for an unlicensed designer.

Assuming it turns out they do need a licensed architect, then bringing a project with you could be of immense value in your job search.

Jul 7, 22 5:18 pm  · 
1  · 
kibugogo

I had not even considered bringing said project along for my job hunting, so thank you immensely for this idea.

Jul 7, 22 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

Be honest with the person.  This is only an initial meeting to see if each of you wants to work with each other. 

As AN mentioned; you realistically need to be an architect (aka licensed) to do commercial work.

On a side note; for this person to want you to be their architect because you did some graphic design and built some furniture is not a good sign.  It shows that this person has no idea what an architect does or what it takes to design a building.  

Jul 7, 22 5:51 pm  · 
3  · 
kibugogo

You brought up the exact thing that's on my mind ever since I hung up. I genuinely believe that they're overestimating my reach because they saw an already finished project and our shop's client very generously gave away my name and the fact that I'm an architect, so it's definitely a misunderstanding. 

I will still meet up with them! Maybe they do want me for interiors only or maybe they want me to help with iconography and graphic design, but I'll only find out once we talk. 

At any rate, thank you so much for your reply! 

Jul 7, 22 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

kibugogo

I'm assuming you're in a country that requires a professional license to be an architect.  

I don't think the 'client' is over estimating your reach. I think they're over estimating their understanding of what it takes to design and construct a building. Typically these types of 'clients' are difficult to work with. Regardless of your experience they want your services cheaper and faster. Clients like this are not worth it in my opinion.

Jul 7, 22 7:23 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball's comment has been hidden
bowling_ball

@kibugogo I'm only writing this because you're new here, but rcz1001 is an unlicensed know-it-all who literally knows nothing about the actual industry. From time to time there might be something accurate or interesting coming from them, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you take their advice seriously. Not to say they're right or wrong about this (I'm not bothering to read that wall of text) but they are a wannabe, plain and simple. Most of the rest of us are licensed architects with varying degrees of experience and knowledge. Just a heads up.

Jul 7, 22 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Team up with a licensed architect in your area. 

Jul 7, 22 6:24 pm  · 
5  · 
Miyadaiku

FIrst things first, confirm you are legally allowed to perform the services. If you are in the US, this will likely be written within the state's statuates/laws, which the state's board of architects should have a link to. Otherwise check whatever authority that is in that jurisdiction. You never want to break the law.

Let's say you are legally allowed to perform the services of the scale your client wants. If this is your first building project ever, then I'll be brutally honest: it's probably beyond your capabilities to do alone and very risky to try to do so. Either team up with someone who has experience or turn it down politely and refer them to a professional with more experience.

Building projects require contracts for a reason, it's serious business with serious liability. If you are in the US take a read on the AIA conract documents like B101 and see if you know what all of that means. The fact that you think you are "in" with what sounds like a verbal confirmation shows that you don't quite know what you are getting into yet.  

Jul 11, 22 3:19 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: