Archinect
anchor

Polycarbonate Panels?

Anyone here have experience with polycarbonate panels?  I've only ever use the imbedded fiberglass types that don't rely on UV resistant coatings.  

The reason for this question is I'm looking at using corrugated ploycarb panels on a shed in my side yard.  I know, high Architecture.  ;)

Any advice on the material would be appreciated.  Crappy doodle of the badly designed shed below.  

Jun 16, 22 11:26 am
SneakyPete

Tthey're great. If you use the cellular type you will probably want to cap the ends so bugs and dirt don't end up in the cells. 

Jun 16, 22 11:30 am  · 
2  · 

Oh come on, it would be a little ecosystem of dead bugs and dirt in the walls. That would be super green! :P

Seriously though.  I will be capping the panels.  If not, ewwwww. 

Jun 16, 22 12:08 pm  · 
2  · 
reallynotmyname

They have worked really well for me.  We have some jobs that are coming up on 20 years old and the panels are still in great shape.  We usually use Polygal brand panels.

Jun 16, 22 11:46 am  · 
3  · 

Thanks for the info!

Jun 16, 22 12:08 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Hey?
Jun 18, 22 10:23 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Tomorrow

Jun 18, 22 12:13 pm  · 
1  · 

Plastic is high in fiber and thus good for you. You should eat more AAF. It would be good to clear out your colon.  ;)  

Jun 20, 22 10:22 am  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Plus, I'd rather have plastic in my colon, than fiberglass in my lungs.

Jun 20, 22 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

here's a cool project similar scale: https://www.pkstudio.design/ledge

Jun 18, 22 10:23 am  · 
 · 

Cool! Thanks for the case study. I'm trying to keep this shed small so I don't disrupt the neighborhood aesthetic. My house on on a corner lot at the 'entrance' to our neighborhood.

Jun 20, 22 10:20 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

If you attach the panels with sex bolts or similar you can remove the panels for a once a year thorough cleaning. 

Jun 20, 22 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

The plan is to make the panels removeable. Originally I was going to use untreated corrugated metal panels like what the house has. They patina to a nice burnt sienna / orange. I like the translucent nature of the polycarb though.

Jun 20, 22 1:34 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: