Archinect
anchor

Manual J Chart?

mookey

My permit application for a small residential addition was denied by the building department.

Among the items I need to address, they want me to provide a "Manual J Chart"  which I guess is a heating and cooling calculation.

Have any of you done that before?  And is there an easy way to do it?

Thanks,

Mookey

Jun 4, 22 8:25 am
OneLostArchitect

you need to hire someone that can do the reports.

Jun 4, 22 9:41 am  · 
1  · 
proto

About as easy as it gets

Jun 4, 22 11:25 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Hire a guy named Manuel J. to install the HVAC and I'd call it good enough.

Jun 4, 22 10:42 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I prefer his brother, Stephen P.

Jun 4, 22 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Either learn how to do it properly from qualified professional who has experienced with Manual J (or any reputable educational source) or you hire a consultant.

Jun 4, 22 3:44 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

you don’t know how to use the three seashells?

Jun 4, 22 5:14 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

Who was that to? 

Jun 4, 22 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

To John Spartan, obviously.

Jun 5, 22 5:39 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

I knew the reference's origin. The question was what was the point you were trying to make or not.

Jun 6, 22 1:46 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nope. I don’t even know anyone named Manuel J. But I did stay at a holiday in last night.

Jun 6, 22 7:39 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

While I have a PDF of 7th Edition. I have the 8th Edition of Manual J. If you work residential projects, it is fairly standard stuff. Although, if you have the manual, you have the equations, you can make an Excel spreadsheet to work the calcs if you need to. You need to possess some basic math skills. Stuff, I would be doing by hand if the building official is a stickler for manually showing the math which a building official we had was a stickler for.

Jun 4, 22 10:30 pm  · 
1  · 
t a z

Preparations A thru G were a complete failure so we shall call this "Preparation H."

Jun 6, 22 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: