Archinect
anchor

Salary increase

leonizer

How should I begin the conversation regarding increasing salary? For context I've been with my current firm for 4 years. I basically have gotten a raise every year without having to ask myself. But the latest year I have not gotten one. I'm having ideas about moving to another firm for a fat salary increase similar to what other peers with my experience have done. But if my bosses gives me a raise I don't mind to stay a little longer.

Anyways, what's the based way to approach or finesse this ? 

May 19, 22 11:02 am
leonizer

I was able to find other threads with the same topic and found those helpful. How can I close this thead?

May 19, 22 11:14 am  · 
 · 

If you can't figure this out then you don't deserve a fat pay raise. ;) Seriously though, as the mods - they'll remove it for you.

May 19, 22 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The only guaranteed way to get more dolla-bills is to barge into the boss' office un-announced, drag a chair from the corner and prop your feet on the desk.  Then all you need to say is "bossman/woman, show me some more paper, I'm architecting for peanuts in this bitch".  Bonus points if you hawk a giant one into a brass spittoon (which you previously installed just for this very moment).

Key to the executive jet will follow.

May 19, 22 11:46 am  · 
2  · 
arhiarhi design group

Did u try?

Jun 21, 22 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
square.

unfortunately you have to "manage up" in this situation; good bosses/management will make sure they provide annual reviews for their employees, but it's all too common in architecture for these to rarely, if ever, happen. so yes, you need to press this issue.

May 19, 22 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Annual reviews are actually written into our staff handbook and are always scheduled at the same time every year. Smart employees see this as an opportunity to ask about the future of the office/projects and increase their role within and/or ask how they can better their performance in order to open up options. Dumb staff keep thinking these will give them a fat increase just because. nope, does not work that way.

May 19, 22 12:25 pm  · 
2  ·  1
leonizer

that is good

May 19, 22 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

tell them you need to add some seasoning to your dinners... show this picture mounted on a foam core. food always triggers empathy. these days it is especially appropriate.

May 19, 22 12:39 pm  · 
2  · 
torr

Have you not watched the news?  Their is a recession coming or is already here.  I know that talent hiring is tight, but history doesn't lie.  Every time we had any type of recession, layoffs came. 

May 19, 22 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Oh hush you foolish boy. Just because you can't get a raise and are stuck in a perpetual cycle of dead end jobs and layoff doesn't mean everyone is in the same situation.

May 19, 22 1:31 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

Not all employment changes right now will necessarily put you at risk.  Taking a new job at a firm better positioned to ride out a downturn might be good idea.

May 19, 22 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

The OP needs to go secure the fat salary offer from the other place(s) before they go see their current boss.  Otherwise it's just talk.

Also, the OP needs to find out if the fat salaries come with a tacit expectation that employees will work lots of unpaid overtime.  A set-up like that can leave you earning less on an hourly basis than your present job.

May 19, 22 1:44 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

If your firm is lame enough to not give automatic raises in this HOT economy, you should talk to your immediate superior (i.e. the person that needs you the most) and have them talk to the bosses. If you go directly to HR or the Principals, nothing may come of it...

May 19, 22 1:55 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

It's very true that many firms are poorly informed about current salary trends. You have to do some homework on the market conditions and many firm managers don't have the time to do it. I see a number of ads for jobs in my town right now where the offered salary is below average and the position never gets filled.

May 19, 22 2:29 pm  · 
1  · 

I think part of the issue is that some firms don't charge enough fee to pay more. It's not an excuse but simply a possible explanation.

May 19, 22 3:21 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

True, not all firm owners are malicious, and some genuinely cannot afford to pay more. That said, I have so seen SO much mismanagement of time and effort from firms for clients that do not pay, its no wonder they cant offer good salaries.

May 19, 22 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
arhiarhi design group

freelance?

Jun 19, 22 2:34 am  · 
 · 
trimtab28

Think it really depends on the office and exact situation tbh. I'm in a similar situation in terms of time at my office. We do a lot of public work though so I understood why they did pay freezes in 2020 and were conservative with our last pay raise. That said, did seem like people jumped ship with the hot economy and it led to retention issues. 

I've generally trusted my bosses to be fair- in the past they were generous during reviews and gave nice bonuses, notwithstanding that they're very approachable people, so the past couple years I do genuinely think were business issues. That said, now that a lot of work is coming in, they'll need to address the staff that stuck it through with them during COVID with how harsh it was, otherwise risk more people leaving. And in a recession, we're generally one of the few places that does well due to all the stimulus packages and shovel ready work- "anticipated recession" shouldn't be as big a driving factor. 

Jun 21, 22 7:08 am  · 
 · 

Sorry to hear this. 

Our firm does a lot of public work that is paid for with bonds. In Colorado any bond must be voted in by the community. Where I am in western Colorado the view on tax increases are not popular. 

Despite all of this we all got raises and bonuses every year.  

Jun 21, 22 11:14 am  · 
 · 
arhiarhi design group

Chad Miller how would your company look like without the Public projects?

Jun 21, 22 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Probably fine. We go after a variety of work depending on the current and predicted market.

Jun 21, 22 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: