Archinect
anchor

Masters Tournament

Volunteer

Below is a photo of the iconic Masters clubhouse. The course and house occupies property that was originally a fruit farm. The style is French Colonial which is somewhat unusual for Georgia. The farm owner used to sit in the belvedere and supervise the workers. When Bobby Jones and his group bought the farm for their golf course they had plans to tear down the structure, which was in bad condition, but they didn't have the money to do so. The rest is history. 

Apr 7, 22 9:51 am
gibbost

And then there's this family that refuses to sell off their property to the Club--regardless of how much Augusta throws at them.  You have to respect that.  https://www.insider.com/master...

Apr 7, 22 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Good for them. I think the problem the Master's has is that the course is too short for todays game. The players, with todays clubs, are able to carry over many of the features on a lot of the holes that made the course what it was. The obvious answer is to extend the length of many of the course holes. I don't see the Masters using heavy-handed tactics to try and get these people out of their home.

Fun fact: The sons of Frederick Law Olmstead worked on the original landscaping for the course.  

Apr 7, 22 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

They never should have extended the course (so many times) in the first place. Just make everyone play with nothing longer than a 2-iron.

Apr 7, 22 2:34 pm  · 
1  · 
RJ87

They're extending two holes this year I believe. But the Masters is already something like the 6th longest course on the PGA tour, so it's not comically short. Eventually they'll probably move some of the hazards around to make it more challenging for average distances.

The challenge is to do anything to a course so steeped in tradition in the first place, while also facilitating the fact that the distances the pros are hitting are entirely different than the distances their members are playing. Considering that it's one of a handful of courses in the world where the regular members hold far more sway than the pros.

Apr 7, 22 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Kinsbergen

I thought this thread would be about people from different Masters programmes competing in a tournament. 

Apr 7, 22 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: