Archinect
anchor

Architecture Boat Tour Chicago?

The_Crow

I'm going to Chicago soon and heard the architecture boat tour was worth taking. Anyone ever done it before and have a tour that they recommend?

Also are these entertaining for architects or will it be too surface level? Sorry if this comes off as arrogant, just don't want to drag friends and family on it if it won't even be enjoyable. 

Thanks!

Apr 6, 22 9:48 pm
citizen

I did this about ten years ago-- one of several Chicago Architecture Foundation tours we took that was great.  It included buildings (newer, older) of course, but also infrastructure (streets, bridges, the river itself), planning and urban history.  Plus views that you don't get elsewhere.  Plus (at least the one I was on) a short stint through the locks and out onto Lake M.  It was hot in the city, then cold and foggy on the lake.  2-3 of the best hours I spent in Chi town that visit.

Highly recommended.

Apr 6, 22 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

The Chicago Architecture Foundation boat tour is the definitive version.

You'll enjoy it even as an architect. Several firms I've worked at have done them as employee outings and we all still enjoy it and the boat is like 100 architects at those moments.

Apr 7, 22 8:28 am  · 
1  · 
przemula

I've done one from Wendella year ago with my family and IMO was great, for architects as well. A lot of interesting facts and history too. I didn't get all the 'sports' jokes as I don't watch any of them, but to each their own. Just make sure, that Dave Matthews Band won't be in town.

Apr 7, 22 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
The_Crow

Thank you so much for the tips, everyone! I will be sure to go with the Chicago Architecture Foundation tour.

Apr 7, 22 3:46 pm  · 
3  · 
quasi-arch

I think I also did the foundation tour. It’s a bit surface level but it’s a cool way to see a good bit of the city. I’d still recommend. 

Apr 7, 22 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: