Archinect
anchor

Housing at U.Michigan (grad student)

ruchachitale

I’ll be starting as a grad student at Taubman College (North campus). I am searching for the available housing options. (On-campus and Off-campus). How good is the on-campus housing? I am considering Northwood Graduate housing or Huron Towers as these are quite close to the arch school. Being an international student from India, I think living in on-campus housing would be easier in adjusting to the new environment. (at least for a few starting months). What do you think about it? Is there any other housing I should check out other than Northwood or Huron Towers or maybe the Central campus??

Thanks for any insight..                                                                   

Mar 30, 22 2:57 pm
SpatialSojourner

I think it all depends on what type of person you are and what you want. Huron towers has a lot of architecture students and so it can feel like an extension of school, will see lots of classmates and parties happening there. Northwood has smaller buildings and is located in almost a subdivision so very quiet and private. Kerrytown near central campus will give you a more going to Michigan feel that is missing from being on North Campus (game days, normal students, close to bars). I did a year at Huron and one near the main campus and each had its perks. 

Mar 31, 22 7:40 am  · 
 · 
architecture?

Any thoughts/knowledge on how the Munger Graduate Residence is?

Apr 1, 22 1:26 am  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

I briefly looked at it but I think that it seemed pricey and kind of far from getting to North Campus quickly. It's probably a nicer quality of place. Also make sure to get something locked in ASAP, I came from a city and wasn't used to having to worry about housing being sold out. IMO, Ann Arbor is kinda pricey for what you get in terms of housing.

Apr 1, 22 6:39 am  · 
 · 
architecture?

Thanks for the info. I would be coming from the city as well so thats good to know. I guess on that note, are you happy with Taubman? Do you feel well supported and have access to good resources/helpful faculty? Was it tough moving to ann arbor from the city? Also in terms of housing if I'm looking for a situation with a good social life and interaction, what places would be best? It sounds like maybe Huron Towers or Munger?

Apr 1, 22 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
SignPlease

I lived in the courtyards apartments for a couple years. Pretty decent 

Apr 1, 22 4:16 am  · 
 · 
natematt

If you end up in Northwood, Just make sure you keep your slider locked at night.

Apr 1, 22 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: