Archinect
anchor

HELP! Going into MArch or Start Career in Hospitality Design?

anaisziwei

I hold a BA Architecture Degree. And also received an offer for MArch.

Currently I hold an offer for Hospitality Design (Junior Design) with Hirsch Bedner Associates. They do luxurious hotel designs.

Should I just give up the idea of doing my MArch and just begin my career in Hospitality Design? 

Mar 7, 22 5:59 am

What will you do if:

1. The company folds before you have enough experience to leverage a job with another company?

2. The hospitality market has a down turn?

3. You end up not liking hospitality design?

4. Do you have family responsibilities?

The decision is yours to make. 

Imo an March has a more certain future of possibilities.

Again, your decision.

Mar 7, 22 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
anaisziwei

Thank u!

Mar 8, 22 12:17 am  · 
 · 

Finish your accredited degree.  

Doing so will allow you to become licensed in all 50 states with only 3,000 hours or so of AXP. (vs 20,000 hours for just one state) You will be more marketable and have more opportunities in the future.  

Good luck

Mar 7, 22 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
anaisziwei

Thank you for ur advise too.

Mar 17, 22 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
anaisziwei

Thank you for ur advise too.

Mar 17, 22 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I would do your M.Arch - never put your eggs in one basket, you're trying to beat the house and you will lose - High end Luxo Hotels in wartime is a very risky bet. - This war in Ukraine is going to be a long hard slog, that has a 75% chance of causing a deep recession - 

Mar 7, 22 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Without something to back up your last statement that's some alarmist speculation.

Mar 7, 22 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
anaisziwei

Thank you guys.

After major discussion with my professors, families, friends etc, I am going to go with the opportunity for Hotel Design as I was promised to be transferred to their Thailand office after a year with them. 

This opportunity is beyond any MArch degree can offer and if I don't get it now, I will probably never be able to.

If it so happens that Hirsch Bedner Associates closes down before I can even get any substantial experience (>5 years of experience), I will then go back to Architecture School then.

I have very good results and university portfolio so going back to school anytime will not be a problem.

But thank you everyone. I just cannot resist the temptation to work in a seemingly "glamorous" design sector and the opportunity to work abroad at this very beginning of my career.

PS. I did a Summer Internship in Hotel Design with Smallwood Reynolds Stewart Stewart (Atlanta office) before, which is why I was so so soooo lucky to get this Junior Designer position with HBA.

xoxo

Mar 8, 22 12:22 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The schools aren't going anywhere; they will be there for your plan B (if necessary). Good luck. 

Mar 8, 22 11:52 am  · 
2  · 
anaisziwei

Alright thank u!

Mar 9, 22 4:18 am  · 
 · 
G4tor

I know that the OP has already made a decision. But here's my two cents - Depending on the state, NCARB offers the option of having additional experience in lieu of having an NAAB accredited degree. If you are in one of those states that allow an education substitution, work experience almost always trump school knowledge. In my daily encounters, many grads with masters degree lack fundamental knowledge and practical wisdom afforded by work experience. If you have the experience under your belt, then finding another job is easier than if you had a Masters degree. 

Mar 8, 22 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Less than 50% of states allow alternate paths to licensure. In addition your license is only good in that state. To obtain a license in another state you need to do more AXP. You're more marketable with an accredited degree.

Mar 8, 22 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

In addition to Chad's (totally correct) remarks above, in many (not all) of the states that still allow it, the alternate path requires more total years of experience than the time it would take to get the degree + AXP. Also, if you ever want to consider getting NCARB Cert on the alternative path, you'll be in for a world of hurt.

As someone who TOOK this path and got my license without an Arch degree (Comparative Religion in the house, yo!), I recommend anyone with the financial ability to do so get an accredited degree - the non-degree path is definitely doing it the hard way.

Mar 8, 22 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

Note that in my initial post, I didn't say anything about not having an arch degree. There are degrees that are not NAAB accredited but still count towards the alternate path. While i wouldn't suggest getting licensed without any architecture degree, I still hold to the idea that having work experience is more valuable than having a masters. Different strokes for different folks, I'd rather be working and earning a pay check than to be in debt for the next few years and not knowing much about how the real world works. This is my experience as someone in a state that allows alternate paths to licensure.

Mar 9, 22 2:31 am  · 
1  · 
anaisziwei

Thank you G4tor.

Surprisingly, this was exactly what my Family, Friends and Professors said too. They mentioned I can always go back to School if I EVER want to get Licensed.

Furthermore, working in an International Company does not require me to get registered at all. They (the one I accepted) usually outsource the signing of projects to their local Architects if needed. 

Anyways, just the part which they are transferring me within a year to their Thai office sold me immediately. lol.

Mar 9, 22 4:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: