Archinect
anchor

Finders Fee

shellarchitect

Do architects ever get finder's fees? My attorney friends always do but I've never heard of it in our profession.

I have an existing client who wants to renovate a 40 unit apt complex.  Too big (and too far away) for me to do afterhours.  Would love to pass it off and get something out of it.

Feb 9, 22 3:54 pm
SneakyPete

I've heard of it, but it was not codified in the employee manual.

Feb 9, 22 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
betonbrut

When you start to pass off existing clients to other architects, they quickly become former clients.

Since you have the relationship with this client, why not offer to manage the work. You go hire someone with capacity and knowledge and then you can charge your client a bit for your time and maintain this client as yours!

Feb 9, 22 4:20 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I thought the AIA had language about this?

Feb 9, 22 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I have tried to bring work into the office when I was just starting out... nobody seemed care about it ( wasn't big stuff, but tried to illustrate I was keen ) never really worked out so I ended up leaving and starting my own firm!

Feb 9, 22 5:02 pm  · 
2  · 
reallynotmyname

Me too!

Feb 11, 22 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

how profitable will this project be? Figure that out, and you have some basis for asking.

Not being able to say upfront how profitable a project will be is maybe why finder's fees are uncommon in architecture.

Feb 9, 22 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Ethically questionable at best, and good will is far more valuable. In this case you can (potentially) generate 2X, from the client and from the firm you recommend. 

Feb 9, 22 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

good advice all...  I certainly don't want to lose this guy as he's been a good client for a couple years now.  My firm already passed as multi-family isn't really their thing.  

Anyone here in Flint, MI?

Feb 10, 22 10:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: