Archinect
anchor

Could this work you think?

HobbyArchitect

I'm guessing about 1000 square meter.

Jan 22, 22 2:17 pm
citizen

.Young Frankenstein - Gene Wilder - It Could Work! GIF by revwaldo1 | Gfycat.

Jan 22, 22 2:52 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

OOo, happy you did not forget that sauna.  Is the hobby room the space you plan to use to keep pumping out bland plans?

Jan 22, 22 3:13 pm  · 
2  · 

​No that would be the study.

Jan 22, 22 3:22 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

We would have thought that would be the hobby room for a HOBBY 'architect'. The study room would be where you would be glossing over the magazines.

Jan 22, 22 3:34 pm  · 
 · 

Aha, that joke got lost on me. Why is it bland...

Jan 22, 22 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

A villa with a winter garden with pool in it for a cold country where you wanna pretend it's summer all year round. Grey house with dark brown/red wooden windows and almost flat moss roof. Should it be a wooden or a stone house? 

Jan 22, 22 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Should be strawbale, or concrete domes. Maybe remove the top of a shipping container and use it as the pool?

Jan 22, 22 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

I'm thinking the roof should not be leaning so much like in the picture, I'm thinking almost flat roof, but I don't know if that fit with the roof going out so far from the side of the house (whatever that's called).

Jan 22, 22 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

It would be a nice house to live in a pandemic quarantine wouldn't it? A lot to do there. :-)

Jan 22, 22 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Only if you can use the 2nd floor corridor as a bowling alley.

Jan 22, 22 5:39 pm  · 
3  · 

Or golf putting. :-P

Jan 23, 22 2:01 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Could work, but would be a boring course unless you can fit a small draw-bridge or a windmill. I guess it could be worse, if this house was in the USA, that would be a shooting range.

Jan 23, 22 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
leonizer

I cant tell if this is a joke or not. 

Jan 22, 22 8:05 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not an architect obviously, just drawing for fun.

· 

What would you change with it, or is it a hopeless case?

· 
rcz1001

What do you think the response is going to be?

Jan 23, 22 2:09 am  · 
 · 

That you hate it, or that you think it's ok.

Jan 23, 22 2:23 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

When you make a statement like "what would you change with it, or is it a hopeless case", what do you think the response is going to be by the snarky bunch that you should have by now, are familiar with. The snarky folks will say something like "it is a hopeless case".

Jan 23, 22 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

I'm not going to judge this because it would be unfair to compare you with professionals. Generally, I don't really spend time judging non-architects (in every sense of the word as it is understood in Sweden... where there isn't an architectural licensing law) designs because that's like comparing the quality of different turds as that is what you would expect non-architects to produce. They don't have the education and training to hone the skills. 

Jan 23, 22 4:28 pm  · 
rcz1001

Besides, others have already given their opinion of your work. I just am not interested in putting the time and energy to judge it.

Jan 23, 22 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

luv u so much, luvu.... lol. Pretty much anything coming from anyone not an architect (in Sweden, architect title is not regulated by licensing laws) or even architecture school students is generally going to look like crap because they haven't the education and training to execute designs well enough for them and how to make good compelling designs.

Jan 24, 22 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Hobby Architect, you may want to take a course or two in some intro to architecture where they would teach you stuff like pattern language, the use of dichotomy / use of diametric opposites (highs & lows, light and dark, large and small spaces) the make the spaces more compelling and dynamic. You need to think the design in 3d as a structure and then execute the design accordingly. I have thrown out there some sources of good study material in the past.

You would need to use pattern language together with the use of diametric opposites. It's like making 'visual music'. 

Jan 24, 22 2:09 pm  · 
1  · 

Is it impossible to have an aquarium as a window between the sauna and the winter garden, if the glass is thick enough so the fish does not get cocked?
:-D

Jan 23, 22 2:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

load-bearing aquarium, triple glazed tank, and a security guard on site 24/7 to prevent cocking of the fish.

Jan 23, 22 4:51 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Keep your towel on in the sauna to avoid cocking the fish.

Jan 24, 22 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

What famous architect designed this home that you have redrawn to troll for negative comments?

Jan 23, 22 10:49 am  · 
2  · 
proto

I had the same thought; it does look way more thoughtful than past efforts

Jan 23, 22 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Thank you.

Jan 23, 22 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This looks quite similar to a house I designed for myself in 7th grade. I'm not famous though.

Jan 24, 22 11:50 am  · 
 · 

Will the living room be too dark because of the terrace? It comes light from above the dining though.

Jan 23, 22 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

What is the building location and orientation? On the original design, I mean. That's important information when talking about things like light.

Jan 24, 22 11:16 am  · 
 · 

Something like this. (I don't know if you can see the picture?) https://i.pinimg.com/originals/58/d9/b2/58d9b286b86410f93b2e4db165ab2cb6.png

Jan 24, 22 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I mean North/South/East/West and roughly what latitude and longitude.

Jan 24, 22 1:24 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

I don't think the house is going to fit where those chairs are.

Jan 24, 22 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Right is south.

Jan 24, 22 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Are you in the northern hemisphere? How far from the equator? If you want constructive feedback, you need to provide relevant details.

Jan 24, 22 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

Could country like Sweden for example.

Jan 25, 22 3:39 am  · 
 · 

Jan 25, 22 3:40 am  · 
 · 

Maybe this works better...? (If you get the idea.)

Jan 24, 22 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

sharpen that pencil.

Jan 24, 22 10:18 am  · 
3  · 
Almosthip

Rotate your pencil while drawing your lines to maintain a point at all times

Jan 24, 22 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Good old-school 2mm drawing tip Ahip... but it won't work if you start with a blunt HB pencil.

Jan 24, 22 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

Who did you copy this from?

Jan 24, 22 10:51 am  · 
 · 

No one.

Jan 24, 22 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

I don't believe you.

Jan 24, 22 3:55 pm  · 
1  · 

Why?

Jan 24, 22 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Fool me once, shame on you

fool me twice, same on me

Jan 24, 22 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Hobby - you've lied several times before and attempted to pass other people's work off as your own.

You've lost most of your credibility here because of it.  That's why many of us don't believe you came up with this design on your own. 

Jan 25, 22 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

That was a prank.

Can't you see this house is bad enough to have been made by a real architect?

Jan 26, 22 4:58 am  · 
 · 

You've used other people's designs here other than your 'prank' though. Also - a couple of users here let me know that you only admitted to your 'prank' because they privately called out your plagiarism and threatened to expose you. You then made the post into a 'prank'. Nice work troll.

Jan 26, 22 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

My suggestion:

Get some modeling clay and do some massing studies. 

Jan 24, 22 11:18 am  · 
3  · 

I'm thinking removing the houses there, placing the house slightly to the left of the middle and flatten the earth a bit. 

Värmdö outside Stockholm, Sweden.

(Is it called plot or property or what?)

Jan 25, 22 4:02 am  · 
 · 

I wonder if you can see the sun go down from the terrace then though.... But of course the house can be at a completely different place, a more suitable place. I am just dreaming like I always do. :-)

Jan 25, 22 4:09 am  · 
 · 

I realized this plot is not good enough because you can't see the sun go down because of the mountain.

Jan 26, 22 3:56 am  · 
 · 

Someone showed me how you can se the sun hours online, this is June. I guess the house would not suit this plot, maybe if you mirror flipped it? But that might feel a litte werid too since I want the boat house and guest house by the beach to the right…

Jan 25, 22 6:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Houses are designed to suit location, not the otherway around. We tried very hard to hammer this very fundamental point to you during your last round of comments a few months back. This is why plans and graph paper are poor design tools by themselves.

Jan 25, 22 8:36 am  · 
1  · 

I know. But since this is only a hobby for me I don't think about the location. This time I just saw a nice plot and thought maybe the house I'm working on could be there, but now I have changes the house so I don't think it suits so very well there anymore, but who knows. 

All I know it's meant to be in a cold country.

Jan 25, 22 8:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It being a hobby does not mean you can't actually do it properly. Cold country? It's -36c outside my office window today. That house would not work here.

Jan 25, 22 8:53 am  · 
1  · 

I don't think you guys realize how cold it is in Scandinavia for example. This is a viking fantasy.

Jan 25, 22 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

One way to quantify "how cold it is" is by heating degree days (HDD). Using Farenheit, Norrnas has about 7400 HDD, almost identical to what I design to here in Maine, USA, and Ottawa, near Non Sequitur. So I'd say we realize exactly how cold it is there.

In case anyone is interested: find a weather station near your location, download the Excel file, sum a year's worth of heating degree days. https://www.degreedays.net/#

Jan 25, 22 12:29 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

looking at the mystical -40 tonight WG.... it's that perfect singularity when the rational and silly temperature scales meet in perfect frozen harmony.

Jan 25, 22 2:38 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

That's cold. We're getting it tomorrow night, but only -11°F (-24°C).

Jan 25, 22 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Hobby Architect, actually we can comprehend how cold it can be in Scandinavia. There are places in the U.S. that gets cold like ALASKA. Then we have our Canadian friends and they know parts of Canada that gets cold. Sweden as with all parts of Scandinavia isn't all cold, all year round. Yes, it's colder overall and often have more know than where I live but still, any of us can engineer our way through any climate anywhere habitable on this planet. It's called science. In your locality, I would probably have walls thicker (and insulated) than where I am but that's the idea.... but you still have to properly ventilate, design for snow loads, etc. Additionally, where you are in Sweden will be something that is important to consider for literally everything. I can design houses for any climate but however, that doesn't mean every house design is appropriate for a location. 

This is why it's all site-specific. If you were a client, I would advise you to pick a site location before I design but before picking a particular site, I would want to need geological studies even at preliminary level. This would be a feasibility study because it would be stupid if I am designing a house on a bog with the wrong foundation design. The soil needs to support the structure. A bog would rule out most conventional foundations. If we are talking hillside locations, I would need to know what the soil and below surface soil conditions are like such as bedrock. If there isn't competent consolidated bedrock, then the design may be radically different then if I had competent consolidated bedrock or even unconsolidated bedrock could be suitable. Site location and where I can make best use of the site. 

For example, you don't necessarily want to put the home on the nice ground area where the sun is always shining on it. Why? You might want to have that nice yard. However, I can design to the site so that with appropriate site work, I can capitalize on the sun. Even in northern parts of Alaska or Greenland, I can still employ passive solar design. I may have to have large aperture areas to get as much solar energy through the glazing to store in thermal mass storage. When you are near and north of the arctic circle, things get tricky because of the long periods of little to no sunlight even in the middle of day during the winter months. In which case, you have secondary design solutions to employ such as ground-source heat pump technology (geothermal heating & cooling). This means I may possibly need a field area where geothermal heating and cooling system can be laid in the ground below frost depth sufficiently so it would be useful at keeping at heating the home to reasonable warmth like 65-75 degrees fahrenheit, all year round. In my opinion, site location is important for multiple purposes. In most cases where there is a lot of rain and also where there is a lot of snow, you want to have a pitch roof. You will want to avoid having issues such as ice-damming. Therefore, the roof design and structural systems are possibly going to call for something more stout than say a 2x4 or 2x6 rafter system. In which case, having rafter beams (say....8x12 or rough equivalent in built-up beams) every 3-4 feet and possibly purlin rafters in between of 2x8 @ 12" o.c. Then on top, using possibly 2x6 to 2x8 Tongue & Groove sub-floor decking the roof with sheets of 5/8" structural to marine grade plywood on-top of that for roof shear resistance. Then you have all the moisture penetration barriers on top of that. At the very top layer, you may have roofing of a variety of types. If I am going to support a sizable snow load, you must not be thinking of puny rafters that are suitable for 1-2 ft of snow when you might have something on the order of 10+ feet of accumulated snow. 

Wrong design decisions that are inadequate can be outright disastrous. As you can imagine, with the type of roof system presented, I would likely need to have a stout structural system that takes that load down to ground and soil and ideally, to adequate bedrock. Once a site is chosen, before any serious designing is done, thorough geological studies on a more intense level with bore samples and pit tests are made by geotechnical engineers at each proposed build area. Not doing so on a hillside can be quite disastrous. 

So many ways you can f--- it up and cause a disaster such as landslides. While you are doing these sketches for personal enjoyment and not for any real client, it doesn't matter but that is a whole different story if you are going to use those designs to actually build a house from. At which, I advise you to seek a professional architect and engineer for their respected services to design and engineer the house, and a qualified competent builder/construction contractor to build it.

Jan 25, 22 10:53 pm  · 
1  · 

I know real architects have so much to think about that I know nothing about, I have never tried to become an architect and I know I'm not one, therefor I call myself hobby architect. This is just for fun, something I've done since a kid. Don't think I don't respect architects or anything. I'm just curious if you think this house is worthless or not. Thank's for the info though, that's very sweet of you.

Jan 26, 22 4:06 am  · 
 · 

https://hallbartbyggande.com/wp-content/public_html/2016/04/Kiruna_square_winter_White.jpg 

This is a city they are moving in north Sweden, not all houses have saddle roof. And I think my house would fit anywhere in Sweden when it comes to climate.

Jan 26, 22 4:08 am  · 
 · 

​(I guess it's always hard to find a plot for a L-shaped house.)

Jan 26, 22 5:14 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

It isn't necessarily hard to find land to plot an L shape house. The size of the plot of land and factors likt how to best use the site. Then you have to have to apply appropriate foundations for the design of the house and the kind of soil it is on. If the soil has suitable yet relatively uniformed soil structure with a uniform bearing capacity adequate to support the building, you could use a lot of conventional foundations otherwise, you have to shift to more sophisticated foundation systems usually in the category called "deep foundation" systems because they usually go deeper than ordinary foundations. Of course, your design is actually a T-shape (rotated counterclockwise 90 degrees). This type of design requires a plot that is large enough and a driveway that curves around the house to get to the garage on the backside. This doesn't mean the lot needs to be super huge but it would be a lot larger than the kinds of lots of land you would find in a residential neighborhood inside a town. When you are not located inside a town or city itself and in the rural lands outside the cities/towns, you are almost certainly going to be on a septic system because are less likely to have public utilities to the plot of land. In those locations, it is not just about designing the building but the site (plot plan or site plan and how you are going to setup the required infrastructure to support the house. This includes septic systems. Definitely not my favorite subject but it is a reality that needs to be considered. Before we can confidently judge your sketches as having worth. What gives a design its worth to any project is if it addresses the needs and the desires, and performs efficiently. Your design is without a context. A design with a clear project program... without defined needs, desires, and challenges/obstacles it needs to adress. As a building designer, I tend to approach projects with some element where "form" addresses the "function and purpose". This means, it is my responsibility to look at all the issues and devise a complete design solution. Sometimes, that involves consultants. Your sketches would require work on those details before it is suitable to a particular project site. It is the kinds of problem you face with taking schematic/conceptual level plans of stock house plans and try to use it for any particular project or project location. You have about the same level of information as a stock plan advertisement you might find in a newspaper or magazine.

Jan 26, 22 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

technically, a little less information than what is on a stock house plan advertisement as this is not even a very well-executed drawing or sketch rendering.

Jan 26, 22 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

I'm sure it's now impossible to find a plot for this house. Although finding plots are always hard do find anyway.

Jan 25, 22 11:03 am  · 
 · 
tduds

That's why you find the plot first, design the house second.

Jan 25, 22 11:36 am  · 
1  · 

In Swedish it's called typhus, but I don't know what it's called in English.

Jan 25, 22 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

In English that's a disease.

Jan 25, 22 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Hobby Architect, are you sure it's typhus in Swedish. I believe it means exactly what it means in English... "Typhoid Fever"... Typhus Disease.

Jan 25, 22 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

Yes. https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhus

Jan 26, 22 3:48 am  · 
 · 
randomised

typ = type/sort or typical, hus = house, so a typical house, perhaps from a catalog or prefabricated of some sort.

Jan 26, 22 4:36 am  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

ok, thank you for clarifying (both HobbyArchitect and randomised). In English (mainly speaking from United States perspective) - What this is called is "pre-drawn house plans" or "stock house plans" or catalog house plans or a variety of terms. There is a variety of terms. When we talk about the plan books like the Sear Roebruck catalogs of house plans, then yes. Today, we really don't have books like that anymore but there are websites for that stuff.

Kind of ironic that they use a term that also means a particular disease in Swedish language. 

Jan 26, 22 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

* now = not  :-D

Jan 25, 22 11:19 am  · 
 · 

Could you guys just answer if you think the living room will be too dark because of the roof above the terrace?

Jan 25, 22 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

There's not enough information to really tackle that question with any sort of seriousness. But, maybe more importantly, since you're just doing this for funsies, it doesn't matter. Work on your lineweights.

Jan 25, 22 2:25 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Draw a section?

Jan 25, 22 2:36 pm  · 
1  · 

Without knowing the project site, the buildings orientation, and a few sections through the living room this cannot be answered.

This is why architecture is site dependent.  

Jan 25, 22 4:19 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

^THIS IS WHY ARCHITECTURE IS MORE THAN BASIC PLANS

fixed it

Jan 25, 22 4:29 pm  · 
2  · 

She did provide elevations of sort . . . .kind of . . . .

Jan 25, 22 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

What do you want me to do, make up plots or look for plots on Google maps or plots for sale...?

This house would have been perfect on the plot I grew up on.

Jan 26, 22 3:52 am  · 
 · 

If you were serious about your hobby then you'd find a real site. Since it's a theoretical project the site doesn't have to be vacant or for sale - it dose have to exist though. All of this information could be found through your local municipality. Not that you care - you're just a troll.

Jan 26, 22 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

Well, place it where I grew up then.

Jan 26, 22 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

The short answer is that there are too many unknowns and variables to give you a difinitive answer.

Jan 25, 22 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

What information do you need for that? If it's built on a hill or not? The roof is not made of glass, but maybe that's an option...

Jan 25, 22 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Where is it located? How is the structure oriented? Are there any adjacent structures or landscape? How about trees? Are there skylights? What's your ceiling height? What material is the floor? The walls? The ceiling? Where are your windows? What's the sill / head height? What's the SHGC on the glass? What interior lighting is there? etc. etc.

You can get as detailed or as vague as you want. People make entire careers doing daylighting studies for a reason. It's not a hobby. 

Look, it's obvious that you find some joy in this, which is cool and I'm trying not to be overly cynical about it. But just FYI I think the aim in most of these replies is to not give you answers but gently steer you towards asking the right questions. Like I said above, this doesn't really matter for what you're doing. I'd encourage you to focus more on space adjacencies and flow. Learn to draw sections. Look at three-dimensional massing. Humans don't live in floorplans. We live in the vertical. The lineweights comment above wasn't flippant, you ought to work on clearly communicating your ideas. Look at drawings done by architects and mimic their style until you develop your own. Now go have fun.

Jan 25, 22 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

It's just a simple sketch before I draw it in detail in 3D on my computer, just so you know.

Jan 26, 22 5:05 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Be sure to put a hammock between those columns in the hobby room.

Jan 25, 22 5:04 pm  · 
2  · 

Great idea, didn't think about it. :-)

Jan 26, 22 3:49 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I am 100% convinced that "Hobby Architect" is Rem Koolhaas conducting research for his next, and final, book.

Jan 25, 22 6:55 pm  · 
1  · 

No idea who that is. Must be a severe noob.

Jan 25, 22 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

Love squares, so I'm thinking some of the windows can be square shaped. Maybe also at the end of the winter garden...?

Little funny you don't dare to criticize my house, I have turned you elite people into little boys. ;-)

Jan 26, 22 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hard to criticise when there is so little effort in the design or representation of the space qualities. We've all repeated this to you ad nauseum on more than one occasion.

Jan 26, 22 9:27 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Wow way to gender assume.

Jan 26, 22 10:41 am  · 
3  · 

Weird you critisized the first sketches then.

Jan 26, 22 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

The first sketches were not any better. 

Walls have thickness 

Doors have panels and swing directions and long dead end corridors are only good for books like The Shinning

Jan 26, 22 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I see you sharpened your pencil.

Jan 26, 22 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

Working on it in SketchUp now. Will make it in 3D as well, with furniture and drawing every little list. (But I know that's not enough info for professionals like you of course.)

Jan 26, 22 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

If you model it accurately then it should be enough. In fact - it will probably answer your own questions. Then again you really don't care. You're just a troll.

Jan 26, 22 1:22 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Ah sketchup (make). Making lay people think they can architecture since 2004.

Jan 26, 22 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
square.

i love the lack of ambition for a blank slate project.

Jan 26, 22 1:39 pm  · 
3  · 
rcz1001

I don't diss SketchUp. It's an okay tool for quick and dirty rendering a 3d model. It has its intended purposes but in professional hands, it can actually be decently used with decent results.

Jan 26, 22 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

I can't afford SketchUp Pro or AutoCAD.
And making a detailed plan in the computer from the simple sketch on paper is working just fine...

Jan 26, 22 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but you can afford pens and paper. Use them for drawing spaces instead of boxes on plans.

Jan 26, 22 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

That's because you are not a professional and even then, if you had professional skills, you can make 3d rendering with paper & pencil and also do the drafting. Architects done that for quite some time before the invention of AutoCAD. You might consider downloading Nanocad.

It's generally compatible with AutoCAD. I have seen weird quirks issues from time to time when taking a CAD drawing produced in Nanocad to AutoCAD and vice versa. 

Jan 26, 22 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

I do it in SketchUp, do you think I should draw detailed on paper instead?

Jan 26, 22 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

SketchUp is not the best tool for drafting. For conceptual 3d models, it's fine. For drafting, it is best to use Autocad or a clone of that program like Nanocad (which you can download for free by the way).

Jan 26, 22 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Drafting by paper & pencil is okay but you might actually want to buy some Architectural scale rulers that are in metric scale for what you would be using in Sweden.

Jan 26, 22 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

For 2d drafting, free, Nanocad ( https://nanocad.com/products/nanocad-free/ ) can be used.

Jan 26, 22 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

For plans and orthgraphic elevation views, you can draft it in Nanocad or pretty much any traditional drafting can be done in Nanocad. 3d modeling, you would need to pay for a subscription. SketchUp free could be useful and that its free without some of the features of the Pro edition. For a hobbyist like yourself, you should be able to use both and you can import CAD line drawings from Nanocad and use it in SketchUp so you can take your 2d floor plan and work on modeling the elevation for a 3d model view. It takes time learning these programs to get pretty good with it.

Jan 26, 22 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

Thanx, but that only seem to work for Windows. I know SketchUp is not made for making 2D plans though wich is a bit of a hell for me. What I like with drawing in the computer is that you get the exact measurements.

Jan 26, 22 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

My advice to you is to try to worry less about 2d plans or exact measurements. SketchUp is a good tool for beginning to understand three dimensions. Lean into it.

Jan 26, 22 3:24 pm  · 
1  · 

Didn't I say I draw in 3D?

Jan 26, 22 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

You can use 2d information to model a 3d object in say SketchUp but what is important is to develop your skills in THINKING in 3D and communicate in 2d and 3d.

Jan 26, 22 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

Almosthip: "long dead end corridors are only good for books like The Shinning"

You must really hate these then. I love it! And The Shining is my favorite movie. :D

Jan 26, 22 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There are significant differences between that example and the double-loaded apartment building-like corridor in your original plan above.

Jan 26, 22 2:21 pm  · 
2  · 

Like what...?

Jan 26, 22 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

the differences are excessively obvious.

Jan 26, 22 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

For the same reason z1111 mentioned?

Jan 26, 22 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

Of course, what do you mean.

Jan 26, 22 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

These corridors go to interesting places.

Jan 26, 22 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, tha t's what I asked.

Jan 26, 22 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe I should have said little girls instead of little boys. 

Jan 26, 22 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

You have yet to grant them an audience my liege.

They are also too humbled by you brilliance to dare speak and thus make themselves a fool in your presence.

Jan 26, 22 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

No they are afraid they will be negative to a real, good architect.

These people humble. Yeah, that was the joke of the day. 

Jan 26, 22 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

Those corridors go somewhere (a space
). Yours don't go anywhere.

Jan 26, 22 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

*doesn't*

Jan 26, 22 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

My guess is people just don’t see the fun in starring in your Game of Trolls…

Jan 26, 22 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

Aha. Personally I don't see the problem, but interesing to hear your opinion.

Jan 26, 22 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Well, thanks for all your amazing advice! Bye.

Jan 26, 22 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
proto

2 things occur to me:

1) I'm baffled by the trollish binary thinking in this thread. As if there's only one way to do anything...I can only lay it at the feet of current social media interaction mores.

2) Hobby Architect, there is a limit to our interest in critiquing your work. It's revealed here via the variety of responses. It's nice that you're interested, but you might be better served enrolling in a local class, where the ongoing conversation about the work is easier & more expected as a matter of course. 

Jan 26, 22 4:52 pm  · 
3  · 

​No one should have replied then.

Jan 27, 22 1:19 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Proto has a point. There is only so much people are willing to spend time critiquing your work. Why? Most people have other things they are interested in. Additionally, unless they are paid, there is only so much any one person is going to want to spend. We aren't paid to teach you an entire curriculum in architecture. Proto is suggesting you might want to take some courses in architecture from somewhere. You might not need to go through an entire curriculum to attain a degree but the training will further your skills development even if you don't end up making this your career. 

HobbyArchitect, there may be some online programs that might be useful. Even taking that curriculum from SFIA (or whatever they want to call themselves) without an official degree from a non-accredited institution might be useful (it could cost some money) and it would be helpful to develop your skills even if the program is worthless for architectural licensing or anything like that but in Sweden, you don't need a license anyway but the quality of education would be more useful for professional training but even that program like the old "correspondence schools" of architectural studies can be useful in helping you develop those skills of drafting, modeling, designing. There are many options other than SFIA and I would probably suggest them and others can. Bottom line: There are actual skills you need to develop in a lot of areas. 

You can do that and you will gain some skills and will over time show in your ability to draw but you have to take the step to develop those skills further than reiterating the same old drawing method you been doing which is very limited.

Jan 27, 22 2:48 am  · 
 · 

Working on the detailed drawing now...
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.c...

Jan 27, 22 3:21 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Keep it up! Ever considered making 3D models by hand?

Jan 27, 22 5:04 am  · 
 · 
tduds

This is still 2d.

Jan 27, 22 11:20 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

SSTduds... I have work to give you if you have that much free time. Hint, it's a house... and it involves plans... and a real site.

Jan 27, 22 11:29 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Don't mistake ADHD for idleness!

Jan 27, 22 11:55 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

I'd love to design a house though. It's been years!

Jan 27, 22 11:59 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Have fun doing it tduds.

Jan 27, 22 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

Will make it in 3D too soon.

Jan 27, 22 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I know the SU is 2D, that’s why I suggested physical models

Jan 27, 22 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

Hobby Architect,

There is nothing wrong with the basic architectural ideas of your sketches. You usually follow a logical organizational principle in the plans. With that basis, improving the functional planning will always be possible.

The main criticism would only be that these are merely sketches. It's hard to say one sketch is better or worse than any other - they're just ideas. You aren't drawing anything that shows the feel of the space, what your ideas about views and lighting will be, or anything else related to the actual built-space and how it will feel for people inside.

It's like if I posted one-sentence summaries of my ideas for novels to a writers' forum and asked if they will be good books. No one knows. It's all in the execution, the idea is only a simple first step. You can't get useful feedback on your book until you write the book.

Keep working, make some models, play with it. Ultimately no one can tell you if a work is good - that's always up to the architect and client to judge. And sometimes the clients are wrong ;) If you find the work interesting, keep doing it.

Jan 27, 22 10:06 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

A different approach you might find helpful is to post pictures or links to built architecture you admire (you seem to have a very clear interest in minimalist / rationalist modernism) and ask us to comment on them. You'll learn a lot about evaluating the design of a building when you ask architects to do it.

Jan 27, 22 10:10 am  · 
 · 

Don't feed the trolls mid

I highly suspect that the 'design' posted here was plagiarized by Hobby. 

She's done this several times in the past. 

The most notable was her 'prank' design. Hobby said she posted a design from a famous architect just to show that we'd have issue with anything she posted. The thing is it wasn't a prank or a troll post. A couple of users here let me know that Hobby only admitted to her 'prank' because they privately called out her plagiarism and threatened to expose her if she didn't come clean. Hobby then made the post into a 'prank'.

Jan 27, 22 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I believe she has tried to pass off other's work as her own here at least twice before. She gets defensive about constructive criticism and doesn't seem to learn anything. In other words, a troll.

Jan 27, 22 10:33 am  · 
2  · 
tduds

"It's like if I posted one-sentence summaries of my ideas for novels to a writers' forum and asked if they will be good books." Perfect analogy, thank you.

Jan 27, 22 11:21 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Her website has half a dozen almost identical house plans so it's pretty safe to assume she's recycling the same 2 or 3 "inspiration" houses for her own explorations. Everyone needs a hobby I guess.

Jan 27, 22 11:25 am  · 
 · 

I was willing to give her advice until I learned how dishonest she is. I don't deal with liars.

Jan 27, 22 11:50 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

I am not aware of Hobby Architect's gender. Is there a post somewhere that indicates that which I may have overlooked or not noticed.

Jan 27, 22 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Ricky, I recall it from previous posts where she linked to her site. I may be mistaken tho.

Jan 27, 22 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

I went to the website on wixsite and so far... at the moment haven't found anything to indicate gender specificially. It could be a vibe based on word choices that might indicate such but even then it is a difficult one to tell. You might be right or mistaken and I might have missed some of the previous posts or not recall it... which we can understand.

Jan 27, 22 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

Jan 27, 22 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I believe she has tried to pass off other's work as her own here at least twice before. She gets defensive about constructive criticism and doesn't seem to learn anything. In other words, a troll.

But it’s fun when people here try to rip someone a new one and burn a plan to the ground that is in fact a copy of proper architecture with a capital A…

Jan 27, 22 2:56 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I'm always up for dethroning Architecture but I can't stand dishonesty so I'm happy to cut the OP down a couple of notches as well.

Jan 27, 22 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I find it dishonest (a little) when people receive different critiques/criticism based on the assumption of them being a hobby architect, when they in fact might post some solid work done by a proper professional. That's not really trolling it is putting up a mirror for some...People apparently can't look beyond their own importance or something. I don't know, I enjoyed reading how people fall for a hobbyist trickster.

Jan 28, 22 7:36 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I mostly agree, rando, and actually liked this floor plan--which based on past experience made me even more sure that Hobby did not come up with it herself. If she did, good job to her. The devil is in the details but it could be a great house. Maybe she really did design it, maybe not, who knows. All I know is that she can't be trusted.

Part of why I agree with you is the fact that I'm not an architect, though I'm not a hobbyist either, and I hate it when people assume that I don't have skills or talent just because I have to call myself a designer. I also have many serious hobbies, so the word hobby doesn't bother me either. I'm going strictly on past performance of this poster. 

Jan 28, 22 9:41 am  · 
 · 

Rando wrote: But it’s fun when people here try to rip someone a new one and burn a plan to the ground that is in fact a copy of proper architecture with a capital A…

Jan 28, 22 10:22 am  · 
 · 

You can still criticize the works of an Architects though. To think that an architect can't disagree with the layout of a floor plan done by an Architect is obtuse.

Jan 28, 22 10:34 am  · 
 · 
randomised

WG, people were treating what was posted by OP as something unworthy to be called architecture, as something done by a hack, a boorish amateur when in fact it wasn't...and they were found out for not being able to see architecture when it is staring them right in the face...and now their egos are hurt, they simply can't handle it, it's hilarious.

Jan 28, 22 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Chad, people were criticising what they saw based on assumptions of the person responsible for posting the drawings and you know it.

Jan 28, 22 3:27 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Rando, there are multiple storylines going on here. I'm not disagreeing with you, but you're focusing on one while I'm focusing on another. Both can be true. Also, presentation matters, regardless of source.

Jan 29, 22 10:44 am  · 
 · 
leonizer

You're better off playing the Sims 4. 

Jan 27, 22 11:56 am  · 
 · 

At first I posted some plans I had done myself, you all criticized it which was fair because I realized later it was shit. But you also criticized so much and bullied so I started to suspect that you exaggerated and where snobbish. 

So I then posten e couple of houses made by Swedens most famous architect but drew it in my own extremely simple way. I said "What do you think about this?" I never said I had done it, but I knew you would think I did it because I had told you guys about my hobby before. 

Some said  about the copied work, ”You should get some books to learn more about architecture.”, and someone showed how I should change the floor plan.

After all the whining I posted a picture of the real house that actually exist and said ”But it’s looks good, doesn’t it?” That’s when you understood I had copied a professional architects work and made you believe I made it. 

It was a prank! Kind of reminds me of David Bowie when he started to talk about a certain artist in media and people started to say they also liked him/her. The thing was Bowie had made up the artist, he/she din’t exist. And that way he proved how snobbish many people in the art world is. :-D

The latest floor plan I made though, and it’s a compliment that you don’t believe me. 

https://www.pinterest.se/coconutconfetti/architecture Here is some architecture I like, but you sure don't have to tell me what you think of it, I'll be leaving now. Sorry for everything. I fooled you, that was rude of me. Bye suckers.

Jan 27, 22 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The thing with Bowie is he was clever when he made the ruse. You just bastardize someone else's designs with terrible drawings. You've literally missed every single constructive comment here and you keep repeating the same bland plans over and over.

Jan 27, 22 1:20 pm  · 
2  · 

I don't believe you Hobby. You plagiarized other's work - passed it off as yours - and got caught. You only said it was a prank when you were threatened to be exposed. 

Don't let the door hit you on the way out you dishonest hack.

Jan 27, 22 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

HobbyArchitect, the way you drew it, lost most if not all of the character defining elements of the original Architect's work. In a sense, it's like looking at a cheap Chinese builders' knockoff of work by Cliff May. The knockoff might be derived or inspired from but was poorly executed that the knock off actually looks like crap but the original looks brilliant. It is about the execution. When looking at your execution of the floor plan, its hard to tell because your proportions are off, the use of single lines with nothing to indicate the wall thickness, very poorly drawn elevation view. The execution was that poorly done that recognizing it to that of the original is difficult as best. After all, even that Swedish Architect is not the first to use an L or T-shape floor plan.

Jan 27, 22 3:46 pm  · 
1  · 

Is the floor plan crap made in SketchUp too?https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.c...

(It's not done yet, I just upload it now and then when I have changed something. 3D will come and so on.)

Jan 27, 22 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

You see, I have seen similar floor plan typology and building shapes before for quite some time. What makes the design is the finer details of the execution which was clearly lost in you sketching. I wasn't really getting into critiquing such a crude sketch. Sure, if you think out the design and work on the execution of the finer details of the designing of the hope, it might work alright.

Jan 27, 22 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

I haven't really looked too much at the SketchUp model. I was referring to the original post, for example.

Jan 27, 22 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

I’m not trying to be unique, just make a decent idea for my dream house.

Feb 2, 22 6:41 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Well I went to their website and I saw some floor plans and, honestly, some of them are quite alright. But, as many (including myself) have been trying to explain in this and every other thread made by Hobby Architect, floor plans are not architecture.

Jan 27, 22 4:19 pm  · 
2  · 
rcz1001

I agree. Floor plans is often a part of the architectural design process, it is not architecture because architecture is a whole of many different parts of the whole process. As tduds said here and previously, I agree with him in his points made so it is unnecessary to repeat what was finely stated. Architects aren't designing floor plans. They design buildings and elevation is as important and the designing of spaces THREE DIMENSIONALLY. Spatial volume like higher ceiling heights for larger rooms being common treatment among architects to accentuate the experience of the space. I referred to these aspects already so no need to really rehash it.

Jan 27, 22 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"I agree with him in his points made so it is unnecessary to repeat what was finely stated." and yet.

Jan 27, 22 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

As fine as you wrote, I suspect it goes right over "HobbyArchitect's" head so I had to convey that the role of architects is not just about drawing floor plans. It's about the whole process of designing buildings and spatial experience.

Jan 27, 22 7:25 pm  · 

All houses I have put up here were made by Nat Tate. So long.

Jan 27, 22 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Given the number of goodbyes you've made in this thread I am now convinced you're x-jla.

Jan 27, 22 6:24 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

and butchered by Hobby Architect

Jan 27, 22 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Who?

Jan 27, 22 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

An imaginary artist. OP is going meta.

Jan 27, 22 7:29 pm  · 
2  · 
rcz1001

A fictional character by William Boyd.

Jan 27, 22 7:29 pm  · 
 · 

He's amazing isn't he. 

Jan 28, 22 12:56 am  · 
 · 

I thought you were leaving? Bye.

Jan 28, 22 10:26 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

My dude...

This is still 2D

Jan 28, 22 11:46 am  · 
 · 

https://www.pinterest.se/maklarannonser/ingar%C3%B6-%C3%B6sterg%C3%A5rdsv%C3%A4gen-2-stockholm-sweden

He has not built the house yet, but here is where it will be located. If you let the terrace go round the left side you can watch the sunset there. The guest house is the only house on the lot that will not be torn down and the boat house will be to the right.

Sorry for saying good buy so many times, I always think I should walk away, but then you say something even ruder and I can't help replying. Don't feed me, I'm a troll. A female troll by the way. 

Jan 28, 22 1:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That looks like the same site as one of my projects... although mine has a helipad.

Jan 28, 22 7:57 am  · 
 · 

Hobby - your gender doesn't matter. Your dishonesty and lack of credibility do matter. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Jan 28, 22 10:28 am  · 
 · 

HAHAHAHA

Jan 28, 22 1:30 pm  · 
1  · 

Bye little troll. Next time try harder.

Jan 28, 22 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

With winter garden for a cold country.

Without winter garden for a warm country.

Jan 29, 22 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Don't make me do it.

Jan 31, 22 11:40 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Jan 31, 22 3:14 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Architecture does not exist in two dimensions.

Jan 31, 22 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
square.

well technically that "architecture" is existing in 3-dimensions.. but it's certainly not fulfilling its potential of the 3rd dimension.

Jan 31, 22 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

tduds: You have already said that, and I have already said that I will make it in 3D soon. I have already tried a little bit on a similar house, but what to start over with this one.

square: How come?

Feb 2, 22 2:48 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

HobbyArchitect: In the time since you first said you were going to put this in 3d, a student in their first architecture course could have already done it... even if crudely. Have you ever heard of rotate and draw lines in the Z-axis (vertical axis) in Sketchup. It is not that hard. You already drew something in 3d in CAD and imported it. You can use those elevation drawings to compare you're 3d model faces. Lets stop procrastinating.

Feb 2, 22 3:12 am  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

Ha! I have been doing other stuff too. But thanks for your concern.

Feb 2, 22 3:17 am  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

tduds, Do what?

Feb 2, 22 5:47 am  · 
 · 
proto

you have a blog; post there

Jan 31, 22 11:45 am  · 
5  · 
HobbyArchitect

Do you mean my website out my architecture or my personal blog.
https://anythingtobelong.tumbl...

Feb 2, 22 5:45 am  · 
 · 
SlammingMiruvor

This fucking project is in Sweden and OP has made zero mentions of Alvar Alto, Sverre Fehn, or Gunnar Asplund. 

What the FUCK. 

Jan 31, 22 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Or any of the names on this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Swedish_architects --- note: two of the architects you mentioned are not "swedish" but were of Finnish and Norwegian origins, respectively. However, it they may have done projects in Sweden but I haven't checked to confirm it so forgive me if I don't mentally recall exactly where all their projects are located.

Jan 31, 22 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Heard of this US project where the architect didn't even mention Barragán or Safdie, WTF!

Feb 1, 22 5:18 am  · 
4  · 

I have done it myself. (new link)

This one I have not done though, may I just share it because I think it's brilliant.

Feb 1, 22 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Please see proto's comment above.

Feb 1, 22 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

What's brilliant about it, to you?

Feb 1, 22 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

Small yet a good floor plan and very good looking.

Feb 1, 22 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

it has a nice kok

Feb 1, 22 4:29 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

*kök

Feb 1, 22 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

Where you can have a good kock.

Feb 1, 22 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

HobbyArchitect, what are the aspects or attributes of the house in the photo above that you like. This is actually stuff to get you to see and communicate about the architectural design and its character those features that defines the character and it's brilliance or charm that you like. Lets not look at the floor plan. Lets look at the elevation and how the composition of the elements of facade, it's pattern or rhythm, and so forth. Just as rooms and spaces defines spatial composition on the floor plane, lets look at the spatial composition of the elements on the vertical plane. Then look at how the composition of the horizontal plane and vertical planes come together to define the space. It's about composing and visualizing in 3d.... in my mind as well as in the medium. In YOUR words, can you describe what you like about the composition of the elevation view in the photo and how the composition defines its character and the brilliance. In your words, how does the elevation view define the spatial experience and brilliance of the space within in connection with the floor plan.

Feb 2, 22 12:50 am  · 
1  · 
HobbyArchitect

No I can't because I don't know what all of that means, sorry.

Feb 2, 22 3:15 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Go take some art courses on the basics and principles of basic design. An introductory course or two in architecture as well. Certain terms I used are described here: ( https://www.cadcrowd.com/blog/what-are-the-principles-of-architectural-design/ ) and https://horacemannptsa.ourschoolpages.com/Doc/Art/12.%20Elements%20of%20Art%20and%20Principles%20of%20Design.pdf

Feb 2, 22 3:23 am  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

Architectural elements (elements for short) definition: "Architectural elements are the unique details and component parts that, together, form the architectural style of houses, buildings and structures." (Wikipedia).

Feb 2, 22 3:25 am  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

This concept related to definition of "elements" of any design whether it be fine art, sculpture, industrial art, etc. You can broadly relate them to any elements of the design of visual design (like fine art paintings, sculptures, industrial art, etc. even to the art used in desktop publishing, magazine artwork, books, etc.) They are like visual counterpart to the elements of music.

Feb 2, 22 3:30 am  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

There are plenty of resources out there on architectural and visual art terminology.

Feb 2, 22 3:33 am  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

What I am asking is for you to critique the work you are looking at from these architects and designers and to also "see" how the architect/designer defines the character of the buildings they design. Every single architect and most building design professionals on this forum has in some form undergone education in this and studied this either formally (through college/universities) or through self-directed studying with mentors as guides. Some of what I am talking about, I learned aspects of when I was took classes in Art Basic Design with Royal Nebeker as Professor. Some of these concept, I then further connected to architecture when I was studying architecture (through self-directed studying which I looked at numerous course syllabuses and curriculum of architecture degree programs as a model for my own self-study. In addition to those materials, I studied other related subject. I later on had courses in these areas that covered these subject matters and the various concepts, principles, and theories. Some people are more elegant at writing than I am so they can be more elegant in their explanation of the terms, principles, and theories.

Feb 2, 22 3:42 am  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

When I was referring to elements of the house in the photo above, I was talking about the windows, doors, the balance or pattern of the fenestrations (ps: that's referring to the transparent elements like the windows and doors in this case). When I am referring to composition, I am referring to it in the same sense as in 2d but in the facade plane. Composition refers to how the arrangement of elements within the 'form' of the facade of the elevation going to this outdoor patio. The shape of the 'form' is a rectangular form. Right? There is particular terms for 2d and 3d elements. Rooms are spatial volumes and in architecture serving a function of some kind. Function is more than its mere utility. There are functions of expression. Functions of experiences. How these functions are orchestrated defines the experience of a place. What I am asking you is to challenge you to see the design and brilliance and identify those 'elements' and how the architect (the artist) orchestrated the composition of shapes, composition of volumes, the use of textures, color, etc. and to express why it is brilliant to you. This last part, I can't write for you. Only you can write how it is brilliant to you. I am in no way dissing the design. If you can even answer half of what I am asking, you would have gain more understanding and insight in what Architecture is....... yes, with a capital 'A' as in the art of Architecture.

Feb 2, 22 3:57 am  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

Another site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_design_elements_and_principles (although it's Wikipedia, there is some other sites and referenced sources which you might want to go through and look at).

Feb 2, 22 4:02 am  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

The term "Form" - in art (architecture being a field within art) can have multiple meanings like mentioned here: https://www.thoughtco.com/definition-of-form-in-art-182437

Feb 2, 22 4:09 am  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

Here's a definition of form in architecture: https://www.firstinarchitecture.co.uk/architecture-design-basics-form/ but here is another reference of some credibility: https://www.wbdg.org/resources/form#:~:text=Form%20refers%20to%20the%20shape%20or%20configuration%20of%20a%20building.&text=A%20number%20of%20aspects%20must,texture%2C%20color%2C%20and%20light. Here is a definition of form and other associated terms, as expressed by an Architect: https://www.yourownarchitect.com/properties-of-form-in-architecture/

Feb 2, 22 4:15 am  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

Here's another one from Andrew Hawkings at Life of an Architect website: https://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/architecture-form-function-object/

Feb 2, 22 4:16 am  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

Here's a book on this subject: "Architecture form, space, and order" by Francis D.K. Ching https://www.amazon.com/Architecture-Francis-D-K-Ching/dp/1118745086

Feb 2, 22 4:20 am  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

An Architect not only is thinking about design in 2d, and 3d but also in 4d (when thinking about design in space-time as we talk about the movement in space and time). Like the experience of space as you move from one point to another like the experience you may have as you move from exhibit to exhibit in a museum that gives you an experience of the narrative. As you go through a work of ARCHITECTURE, every step, turn, through the space is experiential. In addition, the experience of a place at different times of day, or different times of a year. Landscape architecture is an experience that is dynamic like when the landscape is dynamic and living. The time when the flowers bloom, and the time when the leafy trees transition colors throughout the year. Like during the spring and summer, the leaves are green, then when autumn comes, it changes through colors, and then when winter comes, the trees are bare because the trees shed their leaves. The snow comes, and you see, the landscape is a different experience different times of the year. Movement through landscape (space) over time. Architecture experience during the morning, noon, afternoon, evening, and night. You're not just thinking in one present moment in time.

Feb 2, 22 4:44 am  · 
1  · 
HobbyArchitect

We don’t have courses like that in my town. That would be online then maybe. We used to have one about architecture but I have only gone to one about urban planning. 

I have one book in Swedish, but I con’t say I’ve read it. :) https://www.smakprov.se/bok/pocket/arkitektens-handbok-2020-9789144137964

Thanx for all your advice, you didn’t have to do that. But I prefer to use my eyes, I’m not a word person, especially not in English. But I understand it’s a good exercise when studying architecture.

Feb 2, 22 5:34 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

The book you mentioned is fine for more of the technical side of architecture. There is basically two broad sides to architecture (aside from the practice/business side of things), there is the artistic side of the architectural designing and the technical side (science and regulations that impacts the design like building standards regulation that regulates how the building is to be built, width of egress, egress door widths, minimum ceiling height, etc.). This book is more on the technical side. Note: Architecture is a profession where the architect would be thinking both artistically and technically... sometimes simultaenously.

Feb 2, 22 1:41 pm  · 
1  · 

...it's Swedish therefor you probbly have not seen it. And here is some Swedish interior design: 
https://www.pinterest.se/cocon...

Althought I prefer Danish of course.
https://www.pinterest.se/cocon...

Don't you love scandinavian furniture? But our architecture... I don't know...

Feb 1, 22 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

About space-time, that's why I wondered if this plot would be good enough for my house (mirror flipped). If the big red house was removed. But the sun goes down behind the house. But I imagen the terrace going round the house to the left side aswell.https://www.pinterest.se/makla...

Feb 2, 22 5:39 am  · 
Non Sequitur

You know what would really help? A fucking site section.

Feb 2, 22 1:54 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Site section:

Feb 2, 22 2:02 pm  · 
3  · 
HobbyArchitect

By the way, I just saw a Swedish tv-program about building houses. (Gert Wingård is actually one of the tv hosts.) One guy used to be a hockey player and built a house he had designed himself. When they revisited him he had started an architct firm. I thought that was very strange. He had no education at all from what I know. Don't know who else was in the company though, cus I guess he was not alone. I know architect is not a protected title in Sweden, but still. 
https://www.linusfernstrom.se
https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ...

Feb 2, 22 7:55 am  · 
1  · 

I thought you were leaving?

Feb 2, 22 12:05 pm  · 
3  · 
HobbyArchitect

Don’t click on the thread, baby.

Feb 2, 22 3:16 pm  · 
1  · 

Nope. 

You're the one that got upset when people questioned your sincerity and credibility then threatened to leave. You haven't left. I'll continue to post here if I want. 

Deal with it troll.

Feb 2, 22 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

HobbyArchitect, In Sweden, there is not an architectural licensing program. There is a professional association and a sort of certification based on completing certain degrees (hence those letters like MSA and SAR, respectively). The SAR designation is kind of like getting the CPBD certification and MSA is like the AIBD designation by those who join the AIBD as professional members. 

NOTE: This is probably the closest analogy in the U.S. as there isn't quite exactly as close of an analogy with architectural licensing in the U.S. 

This is because, in the U.S., you have to be licensed. In Sweden, the title architect is much like the title building designers in the U.S. The main difference between the title architect in Sweden and the title building designer in the U.S. is that in Sweden, an architect can design any type of building and size as the title and practice is not regulated by licensure. A building designer in U.S., is unregulated and is usuallty used by those not licensed as Architects, and without the architect license is limited in scope of practice for projects in the U.S. as defined by each state's laws. 

In Sweden, the title that defines what I do is "Architect". "Building Designer" would merely be an somewhat awkward synonym. A certification of CPBD through the AIBD would be somewhat comparable to the minimum credentials of SAR certification. I wouldn't necessarily require the SAR certification. Local officials may not be familiar with the AIBD's CPBD certification so I could face issues of local officials hesitation for accepting a set of plans prepared by someone not an SAR. 

However, the type of projects you are drawing/sketching would not require an architect license in the U.S. and are the kinds of projects I work on. Therefore, in Sweden, you have to assess the architect more by their portfolio of work and types of projects they have worked on. You probably don't need a complete formal architectural education and training and get the SAR certification to design house. Really, you don't.

If you design commercial, institutional, governmental, etc. type buildings, you probably need it to be competitive and have the experience and portfolio of work to qualify you for such work because someone or some committee of the client's organization that is making the decisions, is probably not going to select you to do something they can't do. 

You don't necessarily need to get a degree from an educational institution to learn how to become an architect and work on projects. There are different ways to obtain knowledge and study the resources from many avenues. 

However, to get good at any of it and be competent, you need to put the effort to learn. You can't just over a weekend learn what it takes to be a competent architect at any scale of building for human occupancy. It's literally impossible.

Feb 2, 22 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

Chad Miller, I did not get upset, I took it as a compliment. I already said that.

Feb 2, 22 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

You got upset and threatened to leave several times. Yet you're still here.

Feb 2, 22 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

I just think it was odd that he started a firm just after about 1 year after he decided he like to design houses.

Feb 2, 22 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Frank Lloyd Wright did that. Others have done it. Houses are usually simpler and less complicated and if you comply with prescriptive code requirements, you will usually be fine even if the first designs are not as good. Education (Learning) doesn't stop the moment you go into practice.

Feb 2, 22 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Regarding Linus Fernstrom, he probably has some more experienced people than him employed such as an engineer and others. He may conceptually sketch out the designs and the rest of the work of putting into a professional set of plans for construction is probably done by people who work for him. There was an architect in Astoria, Oregon who learned a 3 year curriculum in architecture in a single year. That meant, he spent something like 15-18 hours a day, 5-6 days a week or so learning and studying and doing the curriculum work. The reason he was able to do that is he put more than 8-10 hours a day that a student averagely spends during a day studying and doing the homework, as well as not taking downtime for vacation like you find when going to college. Therefore, 2-3 years can be crammed in a year. Another factor is, when you are under such mentoring and study regement, you are going through the curriculum at your rate which for some students is significantly faster than the average pace of teaching a curriculum in a classroom where the pace is set by the slowest and dumbest idiot student in the room. Realistically, a 5 year architecture curriculum can be done in 1.5 years by a highly gifted student good at learning and grasping the subject matter and learning the skills and doing the work at that student's pace. What slows things down is repetition and the slowest & dumbest student in the class asking so many questions in trying to grasp what was taught to them. A 3 year curriculum is going to consist of about 2 years of architecture and 1 year of general education. A student can learn what they need to learn to designing and drafting houses in a 2 year associates degree curriculum which can easily be done in 1 year for students who are committed and diligent in putting 12-14 hours a day. I looked at Linus's work, most of it is pretty simple and straightforward. If he has or works with an engineer or consults one then his designs should be able to be adequately spec'ed for the structural matters. His designs are rather simplistic facade. Much like the works of Mies van der Rohe, Richard Neutra, Le Corbusier. So, if he's patterning off their style, it's not really hard to design such buildings with concrete, wood stud framing (wrapped in drywall and smooth finish cement panels) and painted white, then frame for good spans and large openings. A little bit of detailed structural engineering might be needed but then to make the design work, the structural engineer does his or her engineering magic like using a pre-tensioned or post-tensioned high compressive strength concrete capable of supporting such roof load over a large span. I can do projects like that. The need is clients that are seeking such types of projects. Locally, it's unlikely. Linus Fernstrom's work appears to be limited but his designs aren't entirely complicated and supplement his limited extent of education with a fully trained structural engineer, it is not really a big problem. In time, his knowledge and skills will develop further and he'll be able to do more advance designs.

Feb 2, 22 6:43 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

There was a building designer name John Yeon who designed a rather nice house in the Portland, Oregon area called the Watzek House. A little google searches and you'll see the house designed by him. He designed it when he was 26 years old.What was interesting with him, he only had one semester at Stanford. He did have mentors and a little bit of time when he was 16 years old learning from an Architect. Then he went to Stanford for a semester and then left that and continued through non-formal mode of learning. He had some mentorship with Pietro Belluschi. Not sure if he was officially employed or simply doing his own work at the office of A.E. Doyle (ran by Pietro Belluschi at the time). In the osmosis of the atmosphere of the architectural studio, I suspect he picked up some things along the way.

Feb 2, 22 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

Maybe I should start a firm then, haha!

Feb 3, 22 3:32 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

At the moment, I wouldn't recommend it. If you are very wealthy then perhaps. However, I wouldn't recommend you starting one if you are going to be doing all the designing and engineering. Sure, you can offset your deficiencies with engineers and others who may be architecturally trained and have as employees but you should shore up your own knowledge and skills in designing buildings and not just drawing floor plans. You should extend your knowledge and skillset. I understand that with the "haha" part, you were stating in jest. 

However, lets not forget that some of these individuals that I mentioned, had probably informally studying architecture like John Yeon, before he went to Stanford like a period of having an architect as a mentor when he was 16 and continued learning about the subject matter, then a semester at Stanford where they probably instilled some of the most important fundamental principles in the introductory architecture courses. Then he went on and was working on his designs in the office of A.E. Doyle where there was Pietro Belluschi and numerous other architects and architectural apprentices/interns whom were all in some form mentors to John Yeon. All these individuals may have provided various inputs to the young John Yeon and that knowledge is valuable. Not much different than how architects you went through an experienced based path to licensure and obtained their license. The key is, they kept learning while working. This is true even with projects for clients. 

Frank Lloyd Wright's own story isn't much different, either. What you should know is most of Frank Lloyd Wright's work is residences. In fact, Frank rarely venture into doing non-residential buildings on his own until after some years designing residences aside from work he did while he was apprenticing under Silsbee and Sullivan and a boathouse. He did study a little engineering but not long in the formal setting. Since he was probably already adept to some degree in mathematics, he could have continued his understanding of engineering principles for structures through the available books on the subject matter at the time. He did also have some architectural mentoring and for a short time, 6 years of apprenticeship with Joseph Silsbee and Louis Sullivan, collectively. He opened his own practice in 1893 and then established a studio in Oak Park, Ill. In 1897, Illinois adopted the first architectural licensing laws in the U.S. This may have somewhat impacted what kind of projects Frank Lloyd Wright (FLW) was allowed to work on... depending on the exact language of the Illinois architect act of 1897 as well as how things were enforced at the time. FLW primarily focused on residential buildings and some churches and other low-rise buildings. 

These low-rise structures are actually much simpler to design properly and safely as taller buildings (high-rises and skyscrapers). Even medium rise buildings are going to have an increase in sophistication of design. Although, in those days, they are simpler to design and deal with than what we are designing today. 

Today, things are more complicated than they were. Therefore, when I recommend developing your knowledge and skills like finding an experienced architect as a mentor and develop your skills and knowledge areas which we can point to.... then every developing such work with them guiding and critiquing... even informally, redlining things for you to point out issues (with mock project... as in not real projects but assessed for compliance with real work). 

Do that for a few years, then you might want to venture in doing the work for real but stick with residential projects at first. Don't do things too much that you would fail the client. You'll need to be able to execute not only floor plans but also elevation views, section views, ceiling views, details, foundation plans, framing plan, etc. You'll also need to develop skills for rendering. Sketchup can also help in that front. You need to develop in those areas. 

You'll need to learn about how to properly prepare plans not only for conceptual floor plans like what you are doing but full technical construction documents which you'll need to do before you should open your own firm. It would be a rough road if you don't. Especially in a more litigious environment than it used to be.

Feb 3, 22 2:07 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

I stated this info so even if you are serious that you have been told you need to develop those skills.

Feb 3, 22 2:10 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Chad, you're a feeder...you keep calling people trolls yet you can't stop yourself from feeding them :)

Feb 2, 22 6:54 pm  · 
2  · 

I just like leading the sad little trolls on by giving them attention that doesn't feed their vanity or narcissism.  Like any narcissist this type of non validating attention infuriates them and I get to live in their heads rent free. 

Feb 3, 22 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

That would technically make both you and Hobby Architect, a couple of trolls. Just saying what you probably already know is as obvious. Some on here is probably annoyed by that. I'm kind of ignoring it.

Feb 3, 22 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: