Archinect
anchor

Designing on a slopping terain

miguelcortez

Hi guys/ gals,

I would like to know how an architect would proceed with designing a house on a sloping grade. For example: What would you do in a sequential order? And. most importantly for my better understanding - how do you design on a slopping site using a topo map with grade elevations. This is an area I am not very familiar with, so any help of guidance would be tremendously appreciated. 

My thinking is the following: Step 1) Check with local planning department? Step 2) Hire a Geotechnical Engineer Step 3) get a TOPO map with grade elevations Step 4) begin design. 

Thank you all. 

Jan 2, 22 11:59 am
Non Sequitur

step1, get your client to hire a qualified professional, preferably one that does not google major questions with significant cost implications.

there is no step 2

Jan 2, 22 1:26 pm  · 
1  · 
Kinsbergen

Thank you for unfucking the world, Non.

Jan 2, 22 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^not all heroes wear capes.

Jan 2, 22 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

First you go visit the site. Walk around. Taste the dirt. Imagine what the site wants. Meditate. Consider taking some peyote and camping on the site for 3 days. The answers you seek will come to you then.

Jan 2, 22 4:38 pm  · 
6  · 
SneakyPete

Slopping site? You need a sponge. 

Jan 2, 22 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

As N.S. has said, the point is, if you have to ask the question then you are not qualified for the job. Your question is far too broad. All projects have common steps that are not project specific. There is some steps that are different between working with an existing or historic building and working with a new construction design. 

There are some things you should do with hillside design for new construction and that is to have a decent topographic survey profile done but you could somewhat get away with some things a little if you do photogrammetric modeling of the terrain. This may require licensure as a registered photogrammetrist depending on your state. 

I may apply image based 3d modeling of existing buildings or even terrain profile of what is. This detail should not be overlooked. Besides, the photos taken will give us also some image references for later. When Archanonymous said visit the site.... yes... visit the site. Taking photos is useful. 

Another crucial step you really need to have done early in the process is get geotechnical studies information. After all, you need to know if the project location is in a landslide prone location and design accordingly to that information. This means, you either find existing studies (if one exists) or that one be performed. This is something the client should have or have furnished. You don't do the geotechnical survey. There is qualified professionals for that. If I am designing on a hillside, these are among my first steps. Having a topographical and boundary survery (or verification of boundary markers and appropriate stake-out done.

Hillside design may require some important first steps. I would recommend that you to read the book by Arthur Levin, titled "Hillside Building : Design and Construction".

While this book isn't going to teach you all the nuances of engineering and there are other books and resources worth learning from, this is a good book that can help you with things to consider. When Arthur Levin refers to soil engineers (we call that geotechnical engineers, today). The book has some relevance to modern day practice. Arthur Levin has a career involving over 2000 hillside projects mainly in the Los Angeles area so there may be some differences with designing in places like Los Angeles and places like where I am, (Astoria, Oregon) where nearly every house in Astoria is on a hillside of silt/clay-silt loan on top of basalt bedrock which ranges from unconsolidated bedrock (rocks & boulders) to consolidated bedrock (where the rock mass is fused into larger rock mass in the scale of several blocks or so). We also have a lot of rain so the slicky clay/silt-loam can easily slide & shift and may drag some of the more loose rocks and potential boulder size rocks that will pancake your car if it fell on it. Therefore, solutions may include rock anchors to pin the foundation system to underlying bedrock or building can find its way down the hill. 

Most architecture school training and projects tends to involve flat ground location. Hillside design brings its own distinct issues that as professionals (you and your engineering team) needs to be attentive of and address. Foundation designs are particularly important. These are not necessarily projects for the typical slab on grade foundations.You are more likely to be using grade beams, wall foundations, possible use of tie-back anchors, and approach to distribution of mass so you prevent issues like "overturning".

While I am not an "Architect", I am a building designer that works on projects on hillsides and I do believe my points I made are important things to consider regardless of the building type. There are many other points that can be brought up and this is not intended as a complete and thorough coverage of every issue you may come across on hillside design and the challenges you may face at any particular project location.

Jan 2, 22 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Miguel, you are right about steps 1, 2, and 3 but I would think of them as concurrent activities. 

However, you will want study up more on specific kinds of issues common with hillside design such as the book by Arthur Levin that I mentioned. It's a decent primer. You will need to select engineers that has experience with projects on hillsides. 

Jan 2, 22 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: