Archinect
anchor

Trade Programs & Resale Certificates

_rococo_

Years into my first job at a big architecture firm -- way too late! -- I learned that I was able to sign up for trade discounts at stores like Crate & Barrel, West Elm, etc. Ah, the joys of 15% off purchases I would've made for myself anyway!

But now I've left the company and plan to do some design work as a sole practitioner with a PLLC. My question is: If I get a resale certificate just to be able to sign up for new trade programs -- without actually reselling anything, as an interior designer might -- is there any downside to that, re: taxes? 

Dec 30, 21 2:03 pm
reallynotmyname

Some states may require resale certificate holders to file sales tax collections reports every month no matter if you re-sold anything or not.  Audits and penalties follow if you don't file.  Be aware that a lot of stores will give you 15-20% off with just proof of your architectural license and/or your PLLC's business license.

Dec 30, 21 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: