Archinect
anchor

A Better Workplace Discussion

dominiond

So most of us have probably heard of the "Great Resignation/Great Reshuffle"- since architecture firms are notorious for treating their employees badly (expectation of long work hours, toxic management, huge egos in leadership, low pay, sexism, bias, racism etc...), is the profession at all having an internal reckoning to retain and develop its talent or are firms digging in their heels and staying in old mindsets under the banner of "CREATIVITY"? In my U.S. Northeast city, most firms seems to be begrudging realize they need to do hybrid now, but all of the leadership are plotting to go back to "business as usual" as soon as Covid cases drop.

Personally, I am thinking of jumping to a tech firm which offers a remote schedule since my firm's leadership keeps thinking that collaboration cannot happen virtually and wants to phase out our hybrid work schedule. BTW: I have 15 years of experience and lead a studio before all the dinosaurs start griping about "these kids today..." Of course, our profession requires in person meetings and interactions at times- it just needs to be intentional and purposeful. Not because Mr. 25 year architect needs to pull out their trace, scribble and then drop it in the lap of a PA to "figure it out." 

Read these research findings below about the general work population so hope that others will share what they see their companies are doing to substantively improve the work culture, if it all- thanks all.  

"What Workers Want

Employees are shifting from live-to-work to work-to-live mentalities, after the pandemic forced them to re-evaluate their lifestyle priorities. Consumers are looking to recalibrate their work-life balance, demanding flexibility as a standard and pursuing value-led employment while banding together to ensure equity for all. 

• It’s All in the Balance: The most important factor for consumers considering a new occupation is good work-life balance, according to LinkedIn’s latest Employee Wellbeing Report. It’s therefore unsurprising that workers would rather take extra paid-time-off (PTO) than a pay rise, and are even willing to sacrifice income for improved personal-professional synergy.
    In December 2020, Unilever’s New Zealand branch announced a year-long trial of a four-day working week, while maintaining 100% salary, to help improve worker wellbeing and boost productivity. While not all businesses can adopt this model, companies should consider offering malleable working structures that resonate with their employees’ working styles and personal life demands."

Dec 17, 21 9:59 am
msparchitect

I agree with you completely. I along with a number of long standing employees left a “big name” firm in the northeast earlier this year for these reasons. The old guard… and getting older… just could not deal with those under 40 wanting a new work environment. It became evident quickly after the first month of COVID that the older guard felt they had to stand over us to ensure we were working. Actually, what became super clear, was that the office had grown to plan that all employees work extra hours voluntarily over the years. During COVID, so many of us clocked out right at 6 or when we needed to focus on other things. Our timesheets went from 50/60 hours per week to 40.00 and we were not sorry. Management felt like getting us back in the office asap would “increase productivity.” No. I joined the great resignation after five years with that firm. 

Dec 17, 21 7:54 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Ya'll are just dumb if you're pulling 50/60hr weeks without additional compensation.  

Dec 17, 21 8:20 pm  · 
4  · 
square.

not so simple at many firms, especially in high-intensity cities in the north east. it took my several firms before i found one where i didn't feel compelled to work more than 40 hours every week. but, after 15 years, i would expect the op to have figured that out.

Dec 18, 21 12:15 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: