Archinect
anchor

Cricut for Models

dmarindin

Hello everyone!  My daughter is an Architecture Student and I am wondering if anyone has used a Cricut craft machine to help cut materials.  I was thinking abut buying her one for Christmas as she has been up all night so many times this semester cutting materials to make these models as required by her program.  She ends up with sore and cut-up fingers from the utility knives.  I make silly little crafts with my Cricut so I have no idea if it would work with Rhino or other programs you guys use.  Any advise would be so helpful before I spend the $280-350 depending on the model.  THANK YOU!

Dec 10, 21 10:15 am
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Don't do that. What are the materials that she is using to build models?

Dec 10, 21 10:24 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

There are some really good knife cutters out there, Cricut is not one of them. Check out KNK. I can cut thin wood, chipboard, and clear poly on mine.

Dec 10, 21 10:53 am  · 
1  · 
josephbrand

I am a grad student. I have a cricut, and I love it. 

Apr 28, 22 4:00 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

do you have any photos you can share? how does it work with CAD files?

Apr 28, 22 11:23 am  · 
 · 
gibbost

Cricut is limited to material thickness of 3/32".  If the physical models and studies you create use thin materials, then it might be a worthwhile investment.  There is a wide variety of the types of materials it will cut--cardstock, balsa, acetate, fabrics, etc.   The vector files that it uses can easily be converted from .dwg, etc.

Apr 28, 22 11:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: