Archinect
anchor

New Zealand lake house

Volunteer

While on the treadmill watching 'extreme homes' I came across this house on Lake Wakatipu in New Zealand designed by a structural engineer. The roof is supported by suspension cables anchored in a boulder above the house. The inch thick glass can move almost three inches with high wind loads. Really seems unique. 

Dec 8, 21 7:45 am
midlander

i feel like i could have designed it better, but love it anyway. the facade detailing is clumsy, too corporate hq style. should have used thin profile steel mullions instead of a cable net. the ceiling beams are tragically bad.

still, admire whoever gets the projects like this. 8/10

oh rereading it's designed by a structure engineer and a bit disappointed - it's the structure that's clumsy! though audacious in concept the execution is mediocre.

good photographer.

Dec 8, 21 9:34 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Don't think the structure is clumsy per se, it is just very present as you would expect from a structural engineer (safety first!). Likes to admire their (line of) work I guess, can't admire what the architect wants to disappear...

Dec 8, 21 9:44 am  · 
 · 

I rather like it! 

Dec 8, 21 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Looks like we're paying our structural engineers too much!

Dec 8, 21 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: