Archinect
anchor

Graphics Cards for Revit

Hi everyone, I'm building a computer for running Revit for the next 5-10 years. What do you like for graphic cards currently? Autodesk currently recommends 4 GB. I was thinking 8 GB or more would be best.

Nov 25, 21 11:59 am
Non Sequitur

5-10 years?

um... sure.  if that's the case, buy the 12gb 3080.  4gb is so 2010.

Nov 25, 21 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

To your experience, which functions in Revit require the most graphics card power? Enscape?

Nov 25, 21 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

GPU power for when you need to turn everything on (including S, M, E) and set fine detail. I don't care about renderings, that's not what revit is for.

Nov 25, 21 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

OK I see. Do you also know if more than 16gb RAM makes a difference?

Nov 25, 21 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It does if you're working on large models, but it's all moot unless you have a CPU that can keep up.

Nov 25, 21 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

I'm far from an expert but I had success with my last build running from 2011 to 2021 with only a graphic card swap in 2016. The CPU is still up to the task today honestly. I do like Revit for rendering and realistic/fine line display. I am recycling a third of the components into my new PC. I'll take a look at the 3080. Is there a preference for AMD or NVIDIA?

Nov 25, 21 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have a healthy hatred of AMD... but that's mostly from a previous gaming laptop and probably because it was a stupid HP machine. but I default to Nvidia, it's never let me down. Just checked my office rig and it's a rock with Nvidia Quadro p2k & 32gb ram & 4-core 4GHz CPU. The 3080 I mentioned is about $2000usd (if you can find one) and is overkill for BIM. Nvidia 8gb (1080 I think) will run a quarter of the cost and should be suficient.

Nov 25, 21 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

My office rig uses a RTX 2080 Super, 32gb ram, and what is now a sort of mid level i7 chip (can't remember which offhand. Gets hot, but performance is excelent. From what i've gathered, most offices are running a bit lower quality n the graphics card, but that's pretty standard chip and ram stats. My previous laptop used a 1050, which was well underpowered for revit.

Nov 28, 21 12:57 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I'd second the 1080 comment, that seems like a good middle ground quality. though I thin you'd be real lucky to only spend 500 on one at the moment. I think the 2060s have a similar quality level at this point too, maybe slightly less, with slightly lower cost.

Nov 28, 21 1:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: