Archinect
anchor

Graphics Cards for Revit

Hi everyone, I'm building a computer for running Revit for the next 5-10 years. What do you like for graphic cards currently? Autodesk currently recommends 4 GB. I was thinking 8 GB or more would be best.

Nov 25, 21 11:59 am
Non Sequitur

5-10 years?

um... sure.  if that's the case, buy the 12gb 3080.  4gb is so 2010.

Nov 25, 21 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

To your experience, which functions in Revit require the most graphics card power? Enscape?

Nov 25, 21 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

GPU power for when you need to turn everything on (including S, M, E) and set fine detail. I don't care about renderings, that's not what revit is for.

Nov 25, 21 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

OK I see. Do you also know if more than 16gb RAM makes a difference?

Nov 25, 21 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It does if you're working on large models, but it's all moot unless you have a CPU that can keep up.

Nov 25, 21 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

I'm far from an expert but I had success with my last build running from 2011 to 2021 with only a graphic card swap in 2016. The CPU is still up to the task today honestly. I do like Revit for rendering and realistic/fine line display. I am recycling a third of the components into my new PC. I'll take a look at the 3080. Is there a preference for AMD or NVIDIA?

Nov 25, 21 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have a healthy hatred of AMD... but that's mostly from a previous gaming laptop and probably because it was a stupid HP machine. but I default to Nvidia, it's never let me down. Just checked my office rig and it's a rock with Nvidia Quadro p2k & 32gb ram & 4-core 4GHz CPU. The 3080 I mentioned is about $2000usd (if you can find one) and is overkill for BIM. Nvidia 8gb (1080 I think) will run a quarter of the cost and should be suficient.

Nov 25, 21 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

My office rig uses a RTX 2080 Super, 32gb ram, and what is now a sort of mid level i7 chip (can't remember which offhand. Gets hot, but performance is excelent. From what i've gathered, most offices are running a bit lower quality n the graphics card, but that's pretty standard chip and ram stats. My previous laptop used a 1050, which was well underpowered for revit.

Nov 28, 21 12:57 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I'd second the 1080 comment, that seems like a good middle ground quality. though I thin you'd be real lucky to only spend 500 on one at the moment. I think the 2060s have a similar quality level at this point too, maybe slightly less, with slightly lower cost.

Nov 28, 21 1:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: