Archinect
anchor

need help with the structural grid of my project

Blobfish

I'm struggling with my graduation project for several months to set up a structural grid. I searched and searched again on the internet whether a non-orthogonal grid can be implemented. However, it turned out as a failure. 

the major concern of my project is that most of the center lines have an angle of 37 degrees. Moreover, most of the design actions, such as putting a ramp, or a stair goes along that line. Therefore, it is hard to resolve the structure without implementing non-orthogonal structural grid. Therefore, I tried to make a grid structure that was of 37 degrees and a horizontal line that goes along. The red markings on the floor plan is where the column is to be placed. does it make sense?

I've tried to do other grid structures that are perpendicular or asked my prof about other resolutions such as not using a beam and implementing a flat-slab system with post-tensioned waffle slab. However, he told me that using such a structure does not seem to be the solution and didn't tell me the answer. I have a deadline to meet within a couple of days and I'm totally stuck on solving this. Any advice on how to solve this would be really very appreciated. Thank you!

Nov 15, 21 2:40 pm
JonathanLivingston

It appears you're trying to do too many things with one grid.  Consider breaking apart what looks to be three primary structures.  The grid from each does not need to interact with the other.  Think about how it would be built.  Beams and posts at angles are difficult and not typically as strong a connection with typical hardware off the shelf hardware  

Good luck with your homework.  

Nov 15, 21 2:54 pm  · 
4  · 
RJ87

This was going to be my response as well. If you squint your eyes your building is essentially two rectangles. Split the structures.

Nov 15, 21 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I see three. Hard to tell without more view I guess. Image below

Nov 15, 21 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Sometimes, very rarely, Eisenmann is the answer.

Nov 15, 21 3:17 pm  · 
4  · 
joseffischer

not enough sections in this project (1/A401 & 1/A402)  none posted or cut through the right rectangle... no idea of building/volume heights achieved

Nov 15, 21 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Looks like three: 

Nov 15, 21 3:38 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Let the building tell you where the grid wants to be, not the other way around. Grid lines exist to help contractors lay out the site and establish baseline dimensions. They're not real. In a sense, if you're not building the project, you don't need a grid at all (that said it's good to use one, as practice for real life)

Nov 15, 21 3:42 pm  · 
3  · 
Blobfish

I know that grid lines are there to assist in doing my project. However, as I have to go through a screening process of my graduation project, the important criteria of it is to make it look buildable and feasible. Therefore....I'm compelled to use the grids. Thanks for the comment anyway!

Nov 15, 21 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
Blobfish

I realized that there wasn't enough information on my building so I'm posting a screenshot of the 3d model. (It would be very welcome if anybody would comment on it!) As one would see, there are ramps and stairs inside the buildings sometimes protruding out into the top floor. This made it harder to decide what grid I should use.(And plus...about the grid, I agree that there should be 3 grid systems. the leftside for example, should implement a diagonal and a orthogonal grid. (The diagonal one should be used because of the stairs) Then the middle one, non-orthogonal ones. Lastly, the right side one could be a tilted rectangle like the comment above. I'm trying to tie all those grid systems where there are intersections by using a bigger column. Does it make sense?

Nov 15, 21 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Non-orthogonal grid is a bit of an oxymoron. Keep it simple.

Nov 15, 21 11:08 pm  · 
1  · 

A tesseract grid would solve this perfectly. 

Nov 15, 21 9:28 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: