Archinect
anchor

Hand drawn plan scanned PDF file scale is incorrect

MS90

Hello, 

Is there a method to scan hand a drawn plan  to PDF and keep the scale correct(as per the original hand drawn scale). I noticed that scanned full size drawings are losing their initial scale (a little off compare to original drawings) .  I usually scale drawings in AutoCAD model space,  this time i just  need to create a duplicate of the hand drawn plan. Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated for this workflow. 

Nov 15, 21 3:10 pm

WTF are you talking about?  

Nov 15, 21 3:13 pm  · 
2  · 
MS90

Is my question too confusing for you?

Nov 15, 21 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

your scanner/software/PC setup must be messed up somewhere, it should be scanning exact.

Nov 15, 21 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

never happened, nowhere.

Nov 15, 21 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

Always happened, everywhere I worked. I suppose the scans could be off by 1/256" but at that point it's not noticeable with line thicknesses when scaling.

Hence why you don't scale drawings.  :)

Nov 15, 21 3:53 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

"A little off" is un-fixable, it's the way scanners work, they distort the image because the paper is moving and not always at the same speed/direction - if you scale one axis correctly, the other will be off.

Nov 15, 21 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

Odd. I've never had an issue with scanners like this. Guess ours have always been calibrated correctly.

Nov 15, 21 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I guess you also don't believe paper has shrinkage and expansion depending on humidity and temp. go scan a 30 yr old set of plans and let me know.

Nov 16, 21 10:33 am  · 
 · 

Oh I know that paper will shrink and expand. Just like I know that a properly calibrated scanner won't be off enough to make a difference. Sure the scan may be off a wee bit - no more that the margin of error that line weights create. Hence why you don't scale drawings.

Nov 16, 21 10:43 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Fortunately, scale and dimensions are just estimates anyway.

120 Construction funnies ideas in 2021 | funny pictures, construction  fails, you had one job

Nov 15, 21 4:47 pm  · 
3  · 
atelier nobody

Funny how we always tell contractors not to scale the drawings, then don't listen to our own advice...

Nov 15, 21 5:48 pm  · 
4  · 

The trick is to scan your scale. Then print it out and use it to measure the PDF.

Nov 15, 21 6:38 pm  · 
6  · 
bowling_ball

Seriously, how hard can this be? Alternatively, scan it, bring it into Photoshop / AutoCAD / Revit/ sketchup / anything that allows you to resize a drawing. Then print. This is assuming the scale is actually off in the first place. I think copiers might resize things slightly but not scanners. Flatbed would be best.

Nov 15, 21 8:15 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

Yes, flatbed is the best thing to use. It is possible for automatic feeders and rollers to stretch a scanned image, albeit slightly. You can find it discussed on manufacturer support sites for Canon, HP, etc.

Nov 16, 21 9:45 am  · 
1  · 
x-jla

just import the image into cad, do a ref scale, plot to paper size, and print…

Nov 16, 21 9:49 am  · 
2  · 
pamp

This. Just draw a graphic scale on your sketch first.

Nov 16, 21 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Just scan the drawing with a banana at the same time.  That way you can always know the scale.

Nov 16, 21 11:12 am  · 
5  · 
whistler

or a ruler, or am I just being too obvious!

Nov 16, 21 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

or better yet a banana with a hand drawn scale on it! Sharpies work great!

Nov 16, 21 5:07 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: