Archinect
anchor

Revisiting old projects as a licensed architect

IDH-IBC

Hello all, a little conundrum I'm facing. 

I am recently licensed but before that I would take on a variety of projects as a designer. Generally small projects that are allowed by my state's (CA) practice act and usually with a SE/PE as the professional of record. 

The project in question is a deck with a spiral stair that I designed (with an engineering company overseeing the project and client interfacing). It made it through plan check ok, but when it came time to build, there was a mistake on the drawings and the GC/stair sub decided to redesign, build and install a stair that worked but are now asking for the plans to be redrawn to pass final inspection.

This is my concern: Since I am now licensed, I would obviously have to stamp anything I draw, but since the stair was drawn, designed, built and installed without my input, I am concerned with drawing something where I have not been consulted before they went on to build it. My stance is that somewhere along the line the GC should have submitted an RFI and since they didn't, they should at the very least have a shop drawing which they can use to resubmit plans to the city from.

I'd love to know some thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 10, 21 1:26 pm

Was the error in the engineering drawings?  If so then they should be redrawing everything.  Not you. Even if the error was in your drawings the engineer stamped everything so it's their issue.  The fact that the GG and stair sub redesigned things without informing your or the engineer is not your problem.  The GC can hire you to draft as builts but you shouldn't have to do this for free.  

Regardless, you don't have to stamp the drawings.  You didn't before and 'they' shouldn't be asking you to stamp the drawings now.  

If needed, write up and have everyone sign an indemnification letter if need be that explains everything so you can't be held liable.

Nov 10, 21 1:41 pm  · 
1  · 
IDH-IBC

Thanks for your response. I am actually getting clarification from the board because my understanding is that although this particular project doesn't require a stamp for an unlicensed individual, once I take it on, I have to stamp it.

I also kicked in back to the engineering company to have an in-house drafter revise the drawings, which is where the current back and forth is between me and the company. My insurance company says that I'm covered for any work I do from the date of my policy but even an indemnity doesn't mean someone won't try to sue.

Nov 10, 21 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
proto

installed?

that's on them...

Nov 10, 21 2:16 pm  · 
1  · 
IDH-IBC

yes, built the thing and so that's my issue with it. someone, somewhere had to draw something they built from. so my stance has been not to touch it and I'm sticking to that.

Nov 10, 21 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: