Archinect
anchor

What is the architectural style of these buildings

NOTANARCHITECT1

Hi there! Can anyone help me identify the architectural style of these tower blocks? They were built around 1957 during the postwar surge for social housing in the UK. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Oct 26, 21 12:54 pm
Non Sequitur
  1. not everything built had a “style”
  2. Style today is mostly a marketing term for slimy realtors looking to fluff up their sales
  3. When is your homework do?
  4. See points 1 through 3
  5. Profit?

Oct 26, 21 1:00 pm  · 
1  ·  1
tduds

Here's a free hint 

Oct 26, 21 1:45 pm  · 
8  ·  1
midlander

why downvote? This is literally the best name for this style. It's what architects actually use to describe it. https://www.google.com/search?q=post+war+social+housing

Oct 26, 21 8:28 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

Maybe I should've said Mid-Century Sub-Modernism?

Oct 26, 21 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

i guess if i were an architectural historian i'd try to distinguish these kind of functionalist modern housing styles (also popular in the US) from the more fanciful stylized work like corb's unites de habitacion and the slightly later brutalist stuff in england, and also distinct from the modular prefab housing in east germany and the communist states. but i'm not aware there is really any common term distinguishing them, and for laypeople there probably isn't much recognition of the difference. these brick housing blocks are the default flavor for postwar social housing.

Oct 26, 21 9:41 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm sorry, but I'm going to need to see some credentialing, citations, or we will not accept this.

Oct 29, 21 6:02 pm  · 
1  · 

****DISCLAIMER****The previous wall of text was submitted by an individual who knows nothing about working for a living, paying bills, or providing for a family.****DISCLAIMER****

Oct 29, 21 7:26 pm  · 
2  · 
Volunteer

This is the mother and father of Robin Hood Gardens, also in your Sceptered Isle, which has met, alas, an unfortunate fate. The style of all three is: "We can't make it any uglier or depressing, so we will stop now"

Oct 26, 21 2:07 pm  · 

These could be literally be anywhere. They all look the same no matter where they are. One could say with some authority that they are The Social Housing Style.

Oct 26, 21 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
NOTANARCHITECT1

Sorry I should have added that they are based in Edinburgh, Scotland

Oct 26, 21 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
NOTANARCHITECT1

Wow, a series of protentious events.

Oct 26, 21 2:38 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

must be your first day on the internets.

Oct 26, 21 2:41 pm  · 
3  · 

NOTANARCHITECT1 - people can be pretentious, events cannot. If you're going to insult people who won't do your homework for you at least do it right.

Oct 27, 21 10:31 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Looks like Chad is cruisin' for an excruciating thumbs down....

Oct 29, 21 11:21 am  · 
 · 

I'm looking forward to it. :) Too bad the OP has run away . . .

Oct 29, 21 11:27 am  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

When I was a kid we called the ones similar to these in my city the cockroach buildings

Oct 26, 21 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

This is what Alvar Aalto designed for Berlin in 1955. They had hardly finished pulling down the bombed-out buildings by then,

Oct 26, 21 5:05 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Aren’t those the blocks featured in the Red Road movie?

Oct 27, 21 11:50 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Never mind that was in Glasgow...

Oct 27, 21 11:52 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This bears repeating.

Oct 29, 21 1:26 pm  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: