Archinect
anchor

Looking for help to identify this house style. Build in 1870 its about to be refresh and I would like to keep some key element

Simone1977

This house is located in PA close to an old railroad astablishement. May have mountain cabin feeling but is located near the city

Oct 23, 21 2:14 pm
citizen

You mean 1970, correct?  I presume the 8 is a typo.

Oct 23, 21 3:17 pm  · 
2  · 

Yeah. That’s a 70s house.

Oct 23, 21 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

It's pretty impossible from the photo to ascribe any historic style to this house.  There may be some parts of this house that date from 1870, but the exterior appears to have been altered in a way where all historic items like the original, siding, trim, and windows were removed and replaced with non-historic materials.  It may have had rooms and or stories added to it as well.  Where did you get an 1870 construction date from?   The present exterior siding and windows look like they could date from some time between 1965 and 1985.

Oct 23, 21 4:00 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

That BBQ is too small.  

Oct 23, 21 5:07 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

^ Yes, but it dates from the 1790s, so....

Oct 23, 21 7:31 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

this is fascinating. it would make a great horror movie set.

Oct 23, 21 8:52 pm  · 
2  · 
midlander

those are really big fixed windows. how do you get fresh air in the house?

Oct 23, 21 8:54 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Would be nice to see the remaining 16 photos, or did the Feds not allow publication of the crime scene?

Oct 25, 21 5:50 am  · 
4  · 
midlander

the bad photo is the one looking inside the grill

Oct 25, 21 7:09 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The house evokes images of old Pennsylvania coal-mining buildings

Oct 25, 21 7:35 am  · 
8  · 
citizen

I was going to praise this, then noticed all those funny window sashes and mullions. Where are all the huge sheets of fixed glass?

Oct 25, 21 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Hijacking this thread because it's repetitive. Question for the room.

What percentage of houses in the US would you say have a discernable "style"? That is, that it can be definitively placed within the timeline / dialogue of Architectural history. What percentage of all buildings? I'd say 25-30% tops, maybe lower when you start to think about all the tilt-up structures that dominate the exurban landscape.

Oct 25, 21 10:54 am  · 
2  · 
joseffischer

Atlanta has a lot of stuff from original timelines, though with tons of additions over the years, from the 1910s-70s. Not much of it would be considered historically significant, but I've been surprised by how much of it has been restored in the last 20 years of my experience where the clients really want it to look like it did. We've done our best to recreate and have a bunch of trim companies where you just send them the existing profile and they make it to match. Windows are generally entirely replaced though, and I say good riddance. I hate spray insulating a house and then being told to rebuild the roped weights and acting like that 1/8" single pane glass is doing anything.

Oct 25, 21 11:22 am  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

I would say almost all houses have links to a discernable style, especially if you throw in the 'ranch' type. Bercoviz Design Architects of Durango, Colorado, has designed ski houses they call the 'mining house ski style', so they may have invented their own style the OP may be interested in. And the timeline of given styles may ebb and flow with different 'Revivals". Some styles, such as the 'center-hall colonial', have never gone out of style.

Oct 25, 21 1:28 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

We've been hijacked! And usefully so. 

This is a great point, and I have no idea of a proportion. But it's safe to say that A LOT (millions and millions?) of buildings defy a clean and clear style attribution. Critics and historians (and realtors, of course) are the ones who pay the most attention to this; practitioners less so, unless it's part of the oeuvre.

Oct 25, 21 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

tduds, on point. I think nearly all American Architecture is pastiche on pastiche. Making it nearly impossible to discern a "style". That's why I wonder, who is selling this narrative, that a home has to have, or can be understood to have a style.

Oct 25, 21 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I have the same bbq grill collecting dust on my porch, haven't used it in 2 years.

Oct 25, 21 1:53 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

I hope yours is equally, uncomfortably close to big bundles of dried-out fire wood. Maybe store those extra gas cans nearby, too.

Oct 25, 21 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

actually, the gas canister isn't even connected, I guess it may be empty now. And no, no firewood anywhere near. I live in a very windy condo, looking over a river  - this thing exploded on me a couple of times when the flames went out and I ignited it again.

Oct 25, 21 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: