Archinect
anchor

Advice on a successful portfolio applying for MArch 1 Harvard GSD, Yale YOSA and Columbia GSAPP

phivũtrầnhuy

Hello everyone,

I'm setting a goal for myself of getting into one of the 3 schools above MArch 1 programs. I know it might be late at this period for a portfolio process, but I really need advices on how and what make a successful portfolio. 

I put the link of my portfolio below wishing somebody can point out to me what is not working in my portfolio to get into three schools above, what is lacking/ what I should pay more attention to to convey the portfolio's ideas better,...

I am on the process of redoing/ creating some of the projects to show more of my deep thinking in design. I would really appreciate for any advices, either in general or in specific, on how to make a successful portfolio to get into these three grad schools.

Thank you,

https://issuu.com/vutranhuyphi...

And these are some of the drawings I'm remaking. (graphic,...)

Oct 20, 21 12:46 pm

This is meant as constructive criticism.

It looks interesting, however the yellow and the right justification of the text made it too difficult for me to read. Other people might see it differently.

Oct 20, 21 2:48 pm  · 
2  · 
Archithoughts2

Agreed. And too much text to begin with. The viewer needs to be able to understand the narratives of your projects through the progression of drawings and images. Admissions committees at these schools are not going to spend time reading your descriptions beyond the first few main takeaways or keywords, if at all. Separately - besides font, I'm not getting too much of a unifying presence throughout your portfolio. Try to think about this conceptually, with color, arrangement, etc. And remember to think about hierarchy of representation on a single page/spread. Guide the viewers with some larger images, some smaller, but all not all the same size (e.g. p.29-30 there's a lot going on at the same hierarchy and not sure what is happening or where to focus)

Oct 21, 21 3:27 pm  · 
1  · 
phivũtrầnhuy

Thanks for the comments. And I agree with that too.

Oct 22, 21 4:50 am  · 
 · 
phivũtrầnhuy

Thanks for the advice, I can see those problems too. Will work on that better!

Oct 22, 21 4:48 am  · 
 · 
kjpn

the images i'm looking at seem too unclear and graphically 'out there'... i think GSD and YSOA are looking more at content and project concepts than abstruse graphics...

Oct 22, 21 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
hiall

too much graphic design than the design itself

Oct 23, 21 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
simon1024

The first project has some really interesting graphics, might be "too much" for some architects. I do like the personality showing throughout the portfolio.

Btw, I laugh so hard at your dinosaur rendering with Chris Pratt... You are accepted!

Jan 12, 22 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
sanahmengi

I don't know if I'm too late. The graphics are amazing, esp for the 1st and the 4th last project. 

My suggestion is that maybe you could try aligning the text as the left justification instead of the middle justified text. 

Jan 15, 22 3:01 am  · 
 · 
hiall

Would you mind telling me how your grad school application is going?

Mar 25, 22 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Questions

very strong portfolio, between those schools, I am curious which school did you pick? and how much financial aid package did they offer? 

Apr 1, 22 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
ttttttttttttttttttttt

d

Apr 1, 22 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
sabbyyuu

hi

I think the portfolio could be reworked ALOT. You have too much text, especially under a lot of the diagrams... your diagrams and drawings should speak for themselves otherwise they aren't communicating effectively as architectural drawings. 

Simplify the layout way more, and reduce the font size (also pick a different font, the one you've chosen does not feel professional!) Make a consistent layout for each page, that way we can focus on the content more.

Maybe this is just my personal opinion but i think the orange graphic is so unnecessary and distracting... like, whats the point of it? question why you've used this as a critique and go forward from there... 

It would be more legible if the plan, sections and elevations were simple, not fully orange and more focused on line weights.. 

Additionally, reallly think about the hierarchy of images... some drawings are really small such as plans, but they should in fact be bigger so they can be read easier and they seem to be integral to understanding the architecture.. alternatively, some visuals which aren't great are really huge, so you notice the mistakes a lot... i would rethink this.

You have a while till you have to submit it could be worth redoing a lot of these drawings if you are serious about being admitted cos right now, I don't think it will succeed... sorry to say that! :( 

but personally love the chris patt/dino image it made me giggle haha. (but make it smaller!!!) 

Hope this helps :) 

Apr 4, 22 9:44 am  · 
 · 
sabbyyuu

looking at the drawings you've attached you are remaking, I like the new visuals but please use clear line weights on the section..!! 

Apr 4, 22 9:45 am  · 
 · 
sabbyyuu

oh i realised you have probabl7y already applied by now and received your decision hahahah but I hope that advice helps someone else in the future ^

Apr 4, 22 9:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: