Archinect
anchor

Architecture Debate

jarchitect

One of the unique aspects of architecture is its combination of design and theory. While architects give lectures promoting their firm's recent projects, should architects hold more debates? I am proposing an idea for a conference of architectural debate. Moreover, I am curious what other people in the community think of this idea.

The event would consist of a series of debates on long-lasting and recent topics in architectural discourse. Practicing architects, top scholars, and professors from around the world would be invited to debate various topics in hopes of drawing a consensus on these issues. More than that, most of the architecture community would watch this event online, causing a direct outburst of discussion within the field.

Some topics that could be debated include: aesthetics, pedagogy, modernism, ornamentation, hostile architecture, environmental policies, housing inequality, sustainable practices, the future of the field, etc.

Would you support this idea?

Oct 9, 21 1:41 pm
JLC-1

https://www.labiennale.org/en/...

Oct 9, 21 3:36 pm  · 
1  · 
RJ87

I lived in Italy just long enough to have "just missed the Biennale" & to have "almost been there long enough to see the Biennale". Regrettable timing, but some of the exhibits were still lingering.

Oct 12, 21 4:00 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

I was just pointing out there are venues for architectural debate already, venezia biennale is one of them , but in all countries and schools there's constant debate and discussion, not a lot of practicing architects in them because when you do, you don't have time to talk about it.

Oct 12, 21 5:41 pm  · 
1  · 
RJ87

Sounds like something I would have really enjoyed during in-class studio hours in college but now would just prevent me from doing other things that would make me money. 

Oct 12, 21 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

what's there to debate? less talking, more doing!

Oct 12, 21 5:27 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I do something similar, except on the science end of architecture, not the art/theory side: https://www.youtube.com/channe.... They aren't debates, exactly, but they are open discussions and often have contentious elements. I'd be interested in a similar approach, using your topics. 

Oct 12, 21 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

When architects debate it is invariably a hilarious clash of outsized egos.

Oct 12, 21 6:34 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

not sure who you have lined up, but I’m sure the tech bro in the M.Arch tread will make for a fine opponent on any topic. 

Oct 12, 21 7:37 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, I think it is a great idea.

Oct 12, 21 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: