Archinect
anchor

Building Code Expert

cacti

How do I become a Building Code expert? Like, the best.

Oct 1, 21 9:35 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

practice 

Oct 1, 21 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

start by being mediocre and steadily improve. 

Oct 2, 21 12:37 am  · 
3  · 
midlander

by reading and rereading all the codes until you can recite passages from memory. goodluck!

Oct 2, 21 2:29 am  · 
 · 
Koww

you have to be coached from a young age. the best code experts all went to summer camps, traveled to compete in tournaments, etc. in their youth. At your age, i'm afraid it is no longer possible to reach the top top level.

Oct 2, 21 4:47 am  · 
10  · 
Wood Guy

My friend Glenn runs this program: https://buildingcodecollege.co.... I'd suggest starting by reading the code books cover to cover, but it's impossible to memorize or even understand all of it. After a decade or two of putting it into practice across a wide array of projects you will get pretty good at it. There's more to it than theory, so without practice I don't see how it would be possible to be a real expert.

Oct 2, 21 12:08 pm  · 
1  · 
Jian Huang
I recommend the book Applying the Building Code by Ronald. It introduce applying code step by step from SD phase to CD phase. And examples in this book help you understand it better.

Besides, while reading this book, you may want to have a IBC on your side for reference.
Oct 2, 21 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

The best practice is not necessarily by memorizing the codes by rote. Codes are amended over time as well as states (and occasionally local jurisdictions) making their own amendments. It is important that you know how to efficiently go through the codes and understand the intent, on some cases, even the historical precedents and basis behind their adoption. Knowing what the codes say (interpreting) is important. How to apply that to your work where you are at... if that is design.... applying the code requirements in how you design to comply with the requirements and options like approved alternatives to prescriptive that complies with performance and accepted standards. It's not just the codes but also the accepted standards and alternatives that you should become familiar with and how they are applied and situations where they don't (caveats). 

Memorizing the codes word for word is not that important. You should know what is currently required. Continuous continuing education in building codes updates is important even if you don't use it for your licensure renewal or not.... and just doing them even if not required. 

What others suggested above may help you in doing that. Af for what Koww said, I am not sure I would agree with it. A way to help efficiency is understanding the layout of the codebooks and familiarize yourself with them. Those seen as "code experts" will be able to identify the correct code. Memorizing the important ones and being correct but it is better to not guess and be wrong thus know to check what the codes are and be certain. The few moments to verify and be correct is more productive than to give the wrong answer and have to correct it later and likewise be criticized for being wrong. 

Oct 2, 21 5:14 pm  · 
CrazyHouseCat

Love what Koww said!

Might I also add/clarify what everyone meant by "practice":  

A. having encountered enough situations to know the multiple issues & sections required to solve a given problem. I agree memorization of the code is not necessary or even beneficial.  Code experts I know can find the requisite code section and the related code and code commentary (more important, as it explains the intent of the code), in a heart beat.  

B. having argued, ok debated, with enough building official, fire marshals, etc. and hopefully have won a few in favor of the design.  Because knowing code by being extremely conservative and follow it verbatim does not make you a useful code expert. A useful code expert use creative ways to meet code AND preserve design. 

Oct 4, 21 5:49 pm  · 
1  · 
deltar

I'm no expert but I am in process of going through plans examiner/building inspector course in my state I've been doing prelim review and intake for a bit over a year now and I'm a B.Arch student. On top of what everyone said with reading the code books I'd say look for places to apply the code. Get a set of plans and go through the book with the plans to see where they meet code and where they are deficient. You don't need to recite the whole IRC in front of an audience for a grade, you do however need to justify why/how you are either meeting the prescriptive path or how you are meeting the intent through an alternate method. 

Oct 4, 21 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

The Detroit AIA has a building codes and regulationcomittee whose main function is to provide building code seminars.  Your local AIA may have something similar.

Oct 5, 21 8:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: