Archinect
anchor

Competition Submission Dilemma

koziko

Hello to you, wonderful people! I have been wondering how the copyright/author right works if for a competition I submit a project which my partner and I did together at school, but then I edited and developed it a lot myself, but still some things remained of what we did together. Will my partner have a right to sue me (or ask for money/ honorary mention if projects wins) although there will basically be just a tiny part of what he/she did anymore? What would you do in this case, if you were a partner, or me? Just really curious. 

Thank you!

Sep 9, 21 5:10 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

Really? This is like those questions I see submitted in the Style section of The NYT. Give credit. You lose nothing. 

Sep 9, 21 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

be an adult and give credit. If you win (doubtful given the bad question) then split the cash 50/50 since they helped. 

Sep 9, 21 6:00 pm  · 
2  · 

Don't be a jerk.  Split the credit and prize money 50/50.  The fact that you have to ask this makes me question your morals and ethics.  

Sep 9, 21 6:08 pm  · 
2  · 
koziko

Probably I explained it the wrong way, but if basically only concept remains and the rest (the whole building design, landscape, technical part, renders, etc.) is fully changed by me, should I still give a credit to my partner? Like, why? Why should I spend several months redoing the project to then mention my partner who was not involved at the redesign and further research at all? 

And I am asking about it too here since my author's right was taken from me too when this project was in progress, and my faculty wanted to remove my name from the submission although we both contributed equally to this project. And, you know, I probably want to be fair and give my partner a credit, and at the same time, as said before - why? Since eventually it will be a very, like, COMPLETELY different project.

I really expect no judgement but more of a cold-hearted opinion since this situation is pretty tricky and I am definitely not a jerk, and everything is great with my moral and ethics. 

Sep 9, 21 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

So you had your 'author's right' taken away from you on this project yet you want to submit it as your own work and not give any credit to your partner? That seems unethical and possibly illegal.

Also - if you've redesigned the entire project and it's a 'completely different project' why dose the initial concept still remain?  It sounds like it's not a 'completely different project'.  

Sep 9, 21 6:24 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

See above answers.

Sep 9, 21 6:31 pm  · 
1  · 

Those don't seem to be answers . . .care to to explain it to me NS?  Is this a situation where the OP lost the authorship of a project so he / she is redoing the project by themselves?

Sep 9, 21 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
koziko

Based on what you are saying, I should give a credit to every reference or inspiration I find on, let say, Pinterest. The problem is, that the concept can be the same, but with a completely different result.

Sep 9, 21 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
koziko

And the situation with an authorship you got wrong, too. We did this project for a competition at the college and both contributed a lot. For this competition college can submit one individual and one group project. Then,
after the project was oresebted to Jury.

Sep 9, 21 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
koziko

Presented to jury*, since the only individual project was not strong, my faculty decided to basically remove my name from the group submission and submit it as if it was done by my partner only. They did not explain why they made this decision. I was notified pretty much post-factum, and my partner did not argue with their decision (of course) . Therefore, I do not want to redo it together, and therefore I am also redoing it, to actually make it my project at a whole.

Sep 9, 21 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, I was referring to the answers in the posts above, and you were not the target of my comment. 8-)

Sep 9, 21 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

If you are finding inspiration on Pintrest, you definitely should give credit to your team mate, cuz it sounds like you are basically copying ideas and dolling them up.

Sep 9, 21 8:40 pm  · 
2  · 

koziko - I don't buy that you didn't get an answer for why your name was removed from a group project. Something isn't adding up here. 

Was this a collection of individual projects that worked together to solve a larger design problem?   

Sep 10, 21 11:23 am  · 
 · 

OP, the concept is the basis for everything else on the project. In the working world the design principal gets the authorship of the design. By analogy the other person is the author of your project more than you are.

My 2¢

Sep 9, 21 7:18 pm  · 
2  · 

I had a whole thing I was going to write about this but then I realized ... I don't care. 

Do what you want, what's the worst that can happen? 

Sep 9, 21 7:49 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Hey, we're teaching here! Get back on your pony. Tout de suite.

Sep 9, 21 8:11 pm  · 
3  · 
Outsideofspace

You could list the partner as a collaborator without necessarily having to specify exactly how much work they did compared with you. 

Sep 10, 21 5:39 am  · 
1  · 

Yup.

Sep 10, 21 10:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: