Archinect
anchor

Technology sidetracks

JonathanLivingston

I find that the deeper I wade into architecture tech the easier it is to get sidetracked.  Perhaps it's just the way my mind works. Probably ADD but that's something that's always been with me. Perhaps it's just less than stellar hardware. Or maybe a greater shift in what it takes to design these days. I find more moments that allow for easier forks in my train of thought.  The constant need to "sync" a team-shared model. The moments of the spinning circles while a computer processes a command or interprets a data set larger than our perception, heck each save with bigger models (can you save too frequently?). The constant chatter in work-related communications channels. The ever-present internet of all information. Increasing options for customization and the battle to not go into too much detail. The fact that I can spin a 3d model around forever and for no reason. It just feels increasingly difficult to get into that flow state of focus and productivity.  

I began working all in hand drafting and have evolved with the times to Cad > SketchUp > Revit, Dynamo & Inscape. I have dabbled in and played with a lot of software down into coding. I believe in the evolution, see the value, and appreciate the advances, just pondering the roadblocks and wondering how others deal with them. Have you had similar experiences?  Or do you think my brain is just slowing as I get older? Should just pick a lane and "do the Architecture"? I have always felt strongly that I should not ask people I work with or manage to do tasks that I could not do myself (just less efficiently). Maybe that's the real thing that needs to change. But I was always drawn to architecture because of the opportunities to constantly learn new things. 

Aug 30, 21 6:41 pm

Constantly learning, yes. Constantly learning different (and often more difficult) ways to do the same things I was already highly proficient at, no. 

As an artist I use 3D modeling to create 3D printed components for my work. This saves an enormous amount of time and expense by simplifying the fabrication process.

That was not my experience with tech in architecture. To the contrary, placing a machine between my hand and my eye interrupted both design and execution processes. Having to become fluent in software (plus hardware and maintenance of both) is not jist superflous to the practice of architecture but also detracts from it in many ways.

Every technology is a double-edged sword. 

Aug 30, 21 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: