Archinect
anchor

Revit Interiors Course Recommendations?

ivanmillya

The firm I work for is starting to navigate the switch from AutoCAD to Revit for high-end SF residential; I generally do most of our Revit production work for architectural drawings, but we have a significant amount of interiors work we still do in cad (workflow being detailed SketchUp models for client presentations to AutoCAD for CDs, released separately from the architectural permit set).

We're hiring a new interior designer onto our small team, and they claim to know some Revit, but we're looking to possibly move our interior work into Revit so that all of our drawings are done in one program. Does anyone have any recommendations for online courses for interior design in Revit so we can jumpstart this transition?

Aug 9, 21 7:45 am
Non Sequitur

Knowing "some revit" is not really confidence boosting... granted with the growing trend of every fresh grad self-evaluating themselves as 11 out of 10 in everything software-related... perhaps this is a more humble person.

Anyways, our office works on many interior design projects and one on the books is entirely BIM and it is heavy when every single thing is a revit family.  Perhaps this is a commercial problem when the first thing drafters do is pull product models from manufacturers' site and tick all the the options... but I digress.

If you already have a good SU production team, it may be easier to convert the SU models into Revit shapes and add annotations/details when required.  Besides that, Lynda.com is still a pretty good resource and there are many companies that sell well-made families for interiors that will be much cheaper than if produced in house. (I personally use revit-content.com and modify as required)

Aug 9, 21 8:40 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I've found that our interiors people tend to have a lot more quick and dirty process than the architectural staff, which does not always translate well to Revit. When it comes between doing revit right and getting work done quickly, often the latter wins out. This has bit us in the butt a few times. It's really hard to get people not just drag in every 30mb piece of manufacture's furniture and throw it around the model. It really depends on the person and project. Pure interior projects are usually fine because of the scale. 

I'll say, one thing that's had a great positive impact on our interiors teams is the addition of Enscape for revit, as a quick representation tool it's pretty hard to beat. 

Aug 9, 21 12:18 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Nate.... let me tell you about the time someone thought it was a great idea to use room-separator lines to piece together a large office floor of cubicles... That totally did not mess everything up having 100s of rooms in a single floor... nope. Everything was just peachy.

Aug 9, 21 12:30 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

got to tag those cubicles somehow right? haha

Aug 9, 21 1:32 pm  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

NS - Thank you, I did not know you could import Sketchup models into Revit; this may be what saves us for interiors.

For context, we do primarily high-end SF residential. Our interiors are usually comprised of custom bathroom vanities, shelving, kitchen cabinetry, and fireplaces. So although the firebox itself might come from a manufacturer, we're designing the housing, trims, etc. to a high level of detail. Dropping in "dumb" sketchup models, and annotating them with text notes will probably work for our current LOD workflow with interior drawings.

Aug 9, 21 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ivan, the SU import option is a good start but from what I recall (maybe current revit is different), the models don't interact as easily with the revit tools as regular families. Something to test out but in a pinch, you can drop in 3D SU models and test.

Aug 9, 21 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

I'll keep it in mind. Otherwise I guess I'll be spending some administrative hours making sure our interior design team can cleanly model and tag custom casework families (sigh...)

Aug 9, 21 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

If you know how to model in sketchup you can model in revit. The only thing "missing" is the 'follow-me' tool, and that's basically just a bastardized sweep.

Aug 9, 21 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: