Archinect
anchor

Is this a McMansion?

Volunteer

Is this a McMansion? Why or why not. 

Aug 8, 21 8:59 am
Wood Guy

Looks like the houses my brother builds on Nantucket. I would not call it a McMansion; the quality of design and construction is generally very good, with durable, natural materials and high-end equipment and fixtures.

I'm not saying it's not gross; these places are usually "corporate retreats" that only the CEOs of large companies use, a few weekends a year. They often have full-time staff and are fully conditioned all year, a huge waste of resources. They aren't cheap, usually in the $1K/sf range. 

Edit to add: Google tells me this is the Obamas' house on Martha's Vineyard. I'm not sure if you're trying to make a political statement here, but I stand by my comments.

Aug 8, 21 9:29 am  · 
7  · 
SneakyPete

Yeah, bad troll is troll.

Aug 8, 21 4:37 pm  · 
1  · 

The classical definition references McDonalds and mass production, the typical example being an 'upscale' subdivision. Kate Wagner is more nuanced and critically deconstructs the concept from a design point of view:

McMansions 101

When giant turds like the one pictured above (which illustrates Wagner's critique) litter the landscape - like they do here in Paradise - that counts as mass production.

I assume there are regional variations, like a double-wide in a trailer park. Everything is relative. 

Aug 8, 21 10:15 am  · 
2  ·  1
atelier nobody

Ah, so the only good mansion is a Palladian mansion, got it.

Aug 9, 21 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

doesn't look cheap, or rushed. 

Aug 8, 21 10:55 am  · 
2  · 
Volunteer

The address is '79 Turkeyland Cove Road, Edgartown, MA'. If you do an internet search for that a 'realtor.com' site comes up that has 30 photos of the house before it was bought by the Obamas. 

Aug 8, 21 11:24 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yeah, so what? What are you driving at? I mean I know, but why don't you stop being a little bitch, and say what you are thinking.

Aug 8, 21 12:12 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

I've been in many similar homes, and worked on a few in my carpentry days. I'm not sure what you're getting at. Our last president who was not an oligarch was Carter. To compete as a politician (or post-politician) at that level you have to play the game. (Or else you'll get Carter-ized.) I don't like it but I recognize that's the way the game works.

Aug 8, 21 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yeah, but something seems a little bit off, right? I mean, what could it be? I mean, the Obamas were finishing up their student loans when he was getting ready to run for president. Any idea that he's tied to some kind aristocratic narrative, racist.

Aug 8, 21 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Yeah, our whole political system is f****d but that's a conversation for the political thread.

Aug 8, 21 1:47 pm  · 
5  · 
randomised

they should’ve opted for something more contemporary and sustainable in my opinion...missed opportunity to put the Change, Yes We Can mantra to work.

Aug 8, 21 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yes We Can buy an existing home, who's previous occupants were likely white? Can't be any more sustainable than buying an existing home.

He's a former Black President, that he and his family have endured countless death threats, for their very safety, I wished he'd bought a whole fucking island away from the stupid that walks this country. 

Aug 8, 21 3:10 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

What kind of existing home? Sure it has a depressingly filthy carbon footprint to match, not even solar panels on the roof wtf...only talking no walking :-(

Aug 8, 21 3:53 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

They're very wealthy people (the primary source of their wealth being the sale of the 2 books Mr Obama published before running for president, therefore neither inherited nor obtained by graft while in office) - they bought a house not dissimilar from houses owned by many other very wealthy people. There had been talk of the Obamas restoring one of the beautiful old mansions in the West Adams area of Los Angeles (an historically Black are that could've used the boost), which I wish they'd gone through with, but I won't fault rich people for doing what rich people do.

Aug 9, 21 3:51 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

I fault a politician for talking one way and acting the other way...don’t care how rich they are to be honest.

Aug 10, 21 3:16 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Politician being the operative word in your comment. However, there's more to him, and their family that you either won't acknowledge, or don't understand. Especially a former president.

Aug 10, 21 4:40 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I simply expect more from a seemingly progressive politician that is respected the world over, my bad...

Aug 10, 21 4:55 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Obama is far from progressive.

Aug 10, 21 5:57 pm  · 
2  · 
Volunteer

I have a landscape book, A Clearing in the Woods, that features the house that the Obama's used to rent several times on Martha's Vineyard. It is at 8 Snail Road in Chilmark on the other end of the island. The book pre-dates the Obama years. It is a contemporary house designed by Rick Sundberg and the landscaping by Steve Simpson. The landscaping is really superb. It most certainly is not a McMansion. I thought this was the house that the Obamas had bought as it recently was sold for $15 million, but that isn't the case. The Obamas bought their house near Edgartown for $11.75 million. It was valued at $17.5 million. 

Aug 8, 21 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Lscapeisaverb

baiting to say Barak Obama has no taste (listens closely for a whistle...)

Aug 8, 21 4:03 pm  · 
4  · 
rcz1001

Yes and no. It's not the typical "mcMansions" but it's a mansion of overt large size above average and still kind of neo-eclectic but it certainly is more investment was put into it so they didn't use quite the degree of garbage used by typical "mcmansions".

Aug 8, 21 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I actually didn't think of many (any) projects on Nantucket / Martha's Vineyard as being Mcmansion at all. Its basically cottage country, with a huge variation in the prices/quality, but certainly not a mass-produced housing area. Build quality seemed to be relatively high, and fairly simple/straightforward in terms of design sense. Mostly riffing on the typical new england gable roof look. Even the above photo has primarily straight-forward shingled roofs.

Aug 9, 21 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

The home is really not that unreasonable in size when you consider that the place has to house the family, the Secret Service force, associated vehicles, and any domestic staff.  

Aug 9, 21 2:09 pm  · 
2  · 

Exactly. But not to some people who are not rational.

Aug 9, 21 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Here is a story about other McMansions on Martha's Vineyard and about a movie made by a carpenter about the destruction. Enjoy. 

https://www.treehugger.com/one...

Aug 9, 21 3:44 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

richpipo gonna richpipo

Aug 9, 21 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: