Archinect
anchor

34 years old, About double Master in addition to B.Arch

Aaron_

What are the consequences of completing two masters at 34?

Although I have about a year and a half of internship experience, the reason I want to complete the master's twice at this time is that I am currently doing my master's at a place with a very high reputation in my country, and this is for future university lecturers or my reputation in my country is.

However, what I want to study is in Europe, and I want to do one more master's job in Europe. And I want to return to my home country and work on my own. (especially Zurich, Switzerland)

Is this ok? I'd love to hear from you smart people.

Jul 20, 21 7:32 pm
Non Sequitur

So when do you plan on starting your real career or will you perpetually avoid it by staying in academia?  there is nothing wrong with a masters in your 30s or later, but at one point, you need to know what your going to do with all those framed de pieces of paper. 

Jul 20, 21 7:36 pm  · 
2  ·  2
Aaron_

I think my full-fledged career will start at the age of 34, so I'm posting this with concerns. I can also continue to work in Switzerland from the age of 34. Switzerland has a lot of what I want. In particular, I think I would be happy to work for good architects in Switzerland. I know it's too late to start a career from the age of 34, but I'm also considering teaching at school, aiming to open my own office in my own country based on what I've studied before and learned in other countries. If this is difficult, I want to work in a large office based on the master.

Jul 20, 21 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
Aaron_

Btw, Thank you for your consideration.

Jul 20, 21 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
square.

no bias to see here..

Jul 22, 21 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Bias? where? I don't see the snark in my response and I think my point that it's not worth collecting degrees unless you know what to do with them is good criticism.

Jul 22, 21 10:11 am  · 
 · 
square.

one can make a career by "staying" in academia as opposed to going to the professional world.. one isn't any more "real" than the other.

Jul 22, 21 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I agree... however, if I had a beaver (canadian nickle) for every student I met who was going into a M.arch with the goal to teach and who had no prior professional experience... I could get myself a nice case of craft beer. Granted, not all arch subjects need outside world experience for a successful academic career. My point was that the OP should have an good idea on the options available with the academic choices if they are concerned about starting a career at 34.

Jul 22, 21 10:46 am  · 
 · 

The best professors in our field are the ones with a few decades of successful, real world experience.

Jul 22, 21 1:23 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

substitute the word "professional" for "real" and i agree, especially in architecture.

but, was the world "fake" when you were in elementary school? middle? high? college? are teachers at those levels not in the "real" world? this is just a pet peeve of mine- people rely on this as a crutch to distinguish professional practice as more important or meaningful than education, but you can't get to the former without the latter.

Jul 22, 21 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Before we get too far.... what's the licensing requirement for Switzerland?

Jul 22, 21 2:54 pm  · 
2  · 
square.

this could be your best comment

Jul 22, 21 3:02 pm  · 
1  · 
newbie.Phronesis

Might be worth studying part-time plus working while in Europe, maybe for a management/business degree of some kind (could help with your own office you open later on). But no point to two M.Arch, if that's what you're planning... 

Jul 21, 21 12:07 am  · 
1  · 
Aaron_

Thanks for the reply. I also considered part-time, but both masters do not support part-time ;(

Jul 21, 21 2:18 am  · 
 · 
baboo.fei

It’s kind of odd that you have no work experiences at 34 even as you work through your degrees - what did you do before? Did you finish undergrad later than usual? Did you do something non-architecture previously?

In any case - having more than one master’s degree with no work experiences at your age will be a HUGE red flag to any employer unless you have a valid explanation. Unless you’ve previously worked in another industry, of course.

Jul 21, 21 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

I disagree that it's a red flag. There are a plethora of reasons why someone could be in school later in life without relevant work experience.

Jul 22, 21 7:51 am  · 
 · 
baboo.fei

Sure, I agree with you here - a good example here would be most MBA candidates. I’m wondering if they meant no RELEVANT work experiences
or no work experiences AT ALL though.

Jul 22, 21 8:37 am  · 
 · 

That is perfect experience for a job in academia.

Jul 22, 21 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

The OP probably meant no "professional" / relevant work experience. They are talking about jobs working at a fast-food restaurant or something like that as experiences worth even mentioning.

Jul 22, 21 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: