Archinect
anchor

Parenting vs Architecture

Zillow

Hi Everyone,

Out of pure curiosity, those who are parents and was given the choice would you:

1) If given the opportunity to be a full time stay at home parent, quit architecture to raise kid and lets say your quality of life can magically still stay the same even though there is your loss of income, would you have found raising a kid easier or harder than working in architecture. 

Thanks for reading through my ramblings. 

Jul 10, 21 11:05 am
caramelhighrise

I’d rather take care of the children I work with for 8-10 hours a day than be a parent 24/7.

Jul 10, 21 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I’ve been a fulltime stay at home dad after both my boys were born, my girlfriend even went back to work before I did, and now we both work parttime and stay at home one day a week. It is intense but very rewarding and gets easier once they’ll go to school. Our quality of life basically stayed the same as I changed jobs quite often and increased my income with almost every move.

Don’t  know if raising kids is harder than architecture, didn’t need to go to school for it and nobody ever asked for my license, but it sure as hell is the most rewarding project I’ve ever run, from the conception phase until where we are now just after breaking ground...

Jul 10, 21 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

architecture is easy.  It does not compare to raising kids.

Jul 10, 21 4:51 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I'd prefer to take care of my kid. It's the most fulfilling thing I have ever done in my life. 

Jul 10, 21 7:27 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Bro. Bro.

Patrik Schtupping Staff?

Jul 11, 21 9:40 am  · 
 · 

Anybody surprised? As an aside, that article reads like it was written by a 12-year old. With determined determination.

Jul 11, 21 10:06 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

"pictured with the broad" is a gross way to put it.

Jul 11, 21 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
dominiond

I think the article was written by AI for click-bait. From what I have read about his values/philosophies, he seems like a selfish and cruel person who has little feeling. If he has children, I pity them. Doesn’t matter if you create beautiful buildings if the way they were created cause harm and the design is only meant for the ultra wealthy.

Feb 3, 22 6:23 am  · 
 · 
dominiond

Practicing architecture is privileged paid work- it can give you vocational purpose and be creatively enjoyable. That being said, it will never love you or care about you when sick, emotionally drained or dying. The “unpaid” job of being a parent and raising another human being is an honor- it makes me a better person and also a more empathetic designer as I have been given the chance to see the world through the unjaded eyes of a young soul.

Feb 3, 22 6:17 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: