Archinect
anchor

Game Central

SneakyPete

A nice place for people to talk about the games they enjoy playing.

Me? Board games and RPGs. Video games sometimes, but life is too filled with real people for that most days.

During the pandemic I was playing online with friends multiple times a week, really kept me sane.

How's about y'all?

Jul 9, 21 1:12 pm
atelier nobody

I tried to get a D&D campaign going on Fantasy Grounds during the pandemic, but it ended up not flying.

Like you, SP, I strongly prefer all forms of in-person gaming over any electronic games, but I do have a few I play. I've had a little fun with Factorio and Frostpunk, and I have Tetris on my phone as a time-killer.

Jul 9, 21 2:03 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

We had a D&D campaign that went for the first half of the pandemic, weekly meetings. We used a premade campaign, as it made things easier for me. I did introduce a lot of extra plot and intrigue, though. One of these days I might get back into it, but not soon I'd wager.

Frostpunk is a Euro, isn't it?

Jul 9, 21 2:19 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

No gamers wanna talk games?

My group just started playing Quest, which is a really neat rethink of wargames. The point being that you worry less about each immediate win or loss in order to enjoy a long-term history you create over time. 

https://ledergames.com/product...

Jul 13, 21 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Oi, how did I miss this thread?  Thanks Pete for the idea.

I've mentioned it before in another hobby thread but I have a thing with magic the gathering.  Played it as a kid in the early 90s and then picked it back up 20ish years later after grad school (having a real job with money helps).  My play group is the same group of guys I've hung out with for decades so it's a great thing to add to beer night(s).  I'm told these will come back soon... right?

Besides that, a good friend of mine (separate circle as the above group) introduced me to Gloom Haven last year and we've completed many dozen scenarios in between the various lockdowns since.  

Jul 13, 21 1:47 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Gloomhaven is FUCKING AWESOME. We played that a ton on TTS during Covid.

If you like Magic, I'd suggest looking into Netrunner. While the physical game is out of print, you can play online at jinteki . net.

It's basically an asymmetrical hacker vs. evil corp 1v1 card game that feels very Blade Runner.

Jul 13, 21 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I think someone's mentioned that game to me recently and since virtual school is done with, I've just now recovered my evenings... so I've dusted off the video games. Just stated getting into an old classic Dragon Age but I'm also a very big fan of Age of Empires 2. Just pop open the steam workshop and start messing with those base settings. 1000max army cap? Sure, why not? How hard can that be?

Jul 13, 21 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

If you ever have a free evening and wanna play / learn netrunner let's set it up. I'll lose every game, as per usual.

Jul 13, 21 2:24 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I'll have to look into that. I got very good in Gwent a while back... and I'm just on the edge of starting another witcher3 new game + just to play cards again.

Jul 13, 21 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Ive never liked the card games in RPGs.

Jul 13, 21 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

Just played "Inside" on the phone, a really richer scroller. Granted, the storyline is dark but the cinematic qualities, especially at the end are really good

I've heard "monster of the week" is a good serial campaign game, and I'm very interested in "Tales from the Loop" given the speculative fiction (after the books before the TV show). 

Jul 13, 21 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

How are online serial campaign games? I used to do RPG's quite a bit but never the online stuff. 'Tales from the Loop' sounds like it could be fun!

Jul 13, 21 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Are serial campaign games like the telltale games?

Jul 13, 21 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

Monster of the week is a D&D-like rpg. It's more character-driven than other games because the campaign/story (if you can call it that) lasts 90 minutes. Then it's another story . Great for game-based therapy to tease out really specific situations.

Jul 13, 21 4:21 pm  · 
1  · 

I used to play Warhammer 40K.  I really enjoy the model building and painting aspect of the game.   I haven't done it for 5-6 years but am getting back into it again.  

I'm currently working on a display case for all of my mini's.  

Jul 13, 21 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

Was into 40k 20ish years ago when I was too young to properly paint (or afford an army). Couple months ago I picked up a box and some paints as sort of a nostalgic stress relief. Something about cutting out the sprues, cleaning off mold lines, etc. is super cathartic. Unfortunately I'm now getting the itch to build a full army and play games .

Jul 13, 21 2:49 pm  · 
2  · 

I already have a full army of TAU (feel free to hate me) consisting of around 120 models. I'm just making it bigger now.

Jul 13, 21 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

woah. 120. damn, son. I barely find time for an individual D&D mini here and there...

Jul 13, 21 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

That's five years of painting. Also the TAU are low point basic troops that come with drones so lots of models.

It helps that I have not children.  :)

Jul 13, 21 4:43 pm  · 
2  · 
rcz1001

Once kids enter the scene, you're going to have to hide them well or they'll well..... um.... I'll let your imagination figure the rest of that.

Jul 13, 21 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

I'm never having children. Too old and too diabetic. ;)

Jul 13, 21 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

The age part... well, you're not that many years older than me. I'm not too old yet. However, the latter part is probably one that can make sense. Nothing wrong with also not wanting to have any children. That's fine. Best not to have that army of TAU troops on a suicide mission.... surviving kids. ;)

Jul 13, 21 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

TAU: our long range railgunz aren't working captain! 

TODDLER:  I will eat your souls!  ::nomnomnom::

I'll be 43 end of this month.  I'm either young at heart or just really immature.  

Jul 13, 21 5:31 pm  · 
3  · 
Witty Banter

For the greater good! I was into Chaos as a kid and had a little Imperial Guard as well. This time around I picked up some Sisters of Battle to paint up.

Jul 14, 21 9:10 am  · 
 · 

With the exception of the Imperial Guard, all of those armies would dice up my Tau if they got close enough.

Jul 14, 21 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I PC game with a bunch of other old farts. So, we're in a slump right now playing various games (new releases are October usually for xmas season); Primarily they are playing a modified version of Conan Exiles. I got bored with it. I prefer FPS shooter games, so Battlefield 4 & 5 and COD. For just killing time, I'll hop on Valheim or No Man's Sky and explore and build. My library has something like a couple hundred games. 

Valheim and Conan are builder type games. As a architect though, it's frustrating have very limited pieces to work with and not great physics. Some are pretty good at it, I am not.  

btw; it's 'social' sort of because we're all on a discord server chatting and whatnot. People are mostly US and Canadians. Some groups or people on the servers I've played with in the past are Korean, Australian, Euro's and South America who use English as a default playing on US servers.

So here's a Conan base to give an idea of the graphics... Pretty build, but crap defense and would get wrecked on pvp servers we play on.

Jul 14, 21 11:19 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

That's impressive. It's fascinating that humans are capable of building amazing things and killing each other at the same in real life but not in games. Is it simply because there's not enough land available in the games or something else?

Jul 14, 21 11:38 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Because it is a game. In real life, killing someone has huge consequences. In a game? Hurt feelings and you respawn. I've seen massive temper tantrums by adults when they build something like above in the game and others raid it wiping it out. There are PVE (player vs environment) servers that don't allow PVP (player vs player) combat unless it's agreed upon. But for me and a lot of others, it's fun to fight other people online.

Jul 14, 21 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Oh, like my FPS games. Shooting at bots is dull. Computer AI just isn't creative or smart. People are. They'll sneak around to your rear bases, harass and snipe, use actual tactics within a squad level (at least 'clans' tend to). Also different 'classes' like medics, heavy weapons, snipers, etc. Computer AI just comes at you, rarely uses cover or ambush tactics, etc. Easy to predict whereas people aren't.

Jul 14, 21 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I never got into multiplayer shooters after my heyday of Quake II. I could rail gun a mother****** from across the map back then. Now I just don't have the energy to deal with real people. I prefer story driven SP videogames and board games for the social aspect.

Jul 14, 21 12:32 pm  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

My clanmates took 2nd at Quakecon 2007. We were primarily Battlefield (what I played) but transitioned over to Quake for our sponsors.

Jul 14, 21 3:14 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I transitioned away from Quake around 2002. *old tears*

Jul 14, 21 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
proto

my kid is big into valorant

i seem to have lost my enthusiasm for video games. he asks me to play smash with him, but i just get bored with getting smoked left, right & center by him. He tries to bring me along, but the skills (& interest) chasm between us is just too big

Jul 14, 21 1:04 pm  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

Lol, wait until they get older. With the old farts I play with, sometimes their sons (16 or older is the rule) will join us. It’s kind of fun with the good natured male bantering going on. Getting called “Gramps” or “Boomer” and us harassing them back asking if they’ve hit puberty yet. It’s fun to see these aggressive, impatient kids go against or play along with old sneaky bastards. Are they better than us? Oh yes.. twitch reflex dies with age… but acknowledgement is typical male banter: They failed to ‘carry the team’ when we lose and their score is only high because they stole our kills. Adds lively harassment and creative slurs on coms between rounds as they suggest maybe solitaire is more our speed.

Jul 14, 21 3:07 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

He is 16...he's all headset'ed up & yelling in the basement as he & his friends play valorant late at night. We discouraged weapon toys & games when he was smaller, but we relented when he turned 13 & he quickly found the team shooters. He is quick to tell us it's at least fantasy based (not military based). Despite some fanciful skins, it's basically a squad of military operators playing capture the flag five on five by shooting each other. I'm not worried about his value system, but I do wish he'd get outside a little more & move more than his fingers.

Jul 14, 21 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: