Archinect
anchor

Does having an M.arch from your own uni help when you apply for other M.archs?

starkkitect

I recently heard of a B.Arch & M.Arch integrated course where you could graduate with both degrees if you spend your last 2 years of B.Arch taking M.Arch classes as well.

Also I was told that having an M.Arch already helps you when you're applying for M.Arch classes abroad like MIT, GSD, Columbia etc..

Is this true? I don't exactly see where the logical connection lies in how having an m.arch already gives you an advantage for further m.arch applications.

Jul 5, 21 10:47 pm
Non Sequitur

why would you want 2 m.arch?

Jul 6, 21 6:10 am  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

Exactly what I was about to ask.

Jul 6, 21 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Seems clear from the second paragraph that that they are overseas and are looking to apply to programs in the US.

To which the answer would probably be yes... A higher degree just looks better. Though I think the portfolio and other application materials are probably more important. I'd say that if it's that easy to get an M.Arch that it's not even adding years onto the program, then it's not a real meaningful thing to do. 

Jul 6, 21 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
starkkitect

because I think the first m.arch alone (m.arch from my own uni) barely gives me any benefit at all and is gonna be used only as a tool to get me into better m.arch programs in the US

Jul 7, 21 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
starkkitect

I'm not from the US nor am I living there btw

Jul 7, 21 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

starkkitect - Don't just automatically assume that your foreign M.Arch won't be valid in the US. First, find out if your university is listed under the Canberra Accords. If not, you can still have your foreign education evaluated.

Jul 8, 21 7:50 am  · 
 · 
starkkitect

I'm not worried about it not being valid in the US. I'm saying this because my goal is to get an IVY M.arch and if getting an m.arch from my own uni helps that process, then I'm going to do it. My foreign M.arch may or may not be valid in the US it doesn't matter.

Jul 8, 21 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

what ever you do, remember that there is no m.arch degree worth 6-figure debt.

Jul 8, 21 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
starkkitect

that is the main question isn't it... :( still trying to figure out that part too

Jul 8, 21 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

You may be confusing M.Arch with other, post-professional, masters degrees.

Jul 6, 21 12:43 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: