Archinect
anchor

Science course in arch school !

Khangggl

Hi all, I am going to start my first undergrad year in an arch school in Canada. 

Besides those mandatory courses which have been planned by the school, I have picked many science subjects like linear algebra, calculus, and physics mechanics. I still have one more choice and I plan to pick another science course :)) Is there any recommendation for the last science course that related to architecture? Also, how you feel about my course planning, should I pick or replace any course? I welcome all your suggestions, they are valuable.

Thanks...

Jul 3, 21 1:40 am
natematt

Without knowing the sort of classes you have to take, it's a little hard to make an assessment. I think it sounds odd though. 

My question is: Why are you doing this?

Are you really bad at math? Do you just really like math? Is this some pre-requisite that your program fails to address that you might need for grad school? Do you think this will make you a better architect.... kind of sounds like this last one.... Which to me is a mistake. 

I don't think stacking on math/physics courses is going to be of any exceptional help to you. If it's a personal interest, go for it, but you seriously might want to consider a more math-centric careered. That said, if you are doing it because you think it will make you a better architect, I'd recommend other things. If you can hack it though any required physics/structures courses in your program you are fine for the profession. 

What are you good at, what are you bad at? I think art, writing, programming, graphic design, etc. are all more likely to be of benefit to you in the short and long run. 

Jul 3, 21 4:44 am  · 
1  · 
Khangggl

Thank you for your comment. It actually comes from both reasons as you mentioned. First is because I am comfortable with science since I am somehow proficient at them. Second is some top school at Canada like McGill also love science too ( just look at their mandatory courses for arch transferring) I did not really plan to transfer, but at least, I have something to follow to make sure I am on the right way to be a good architect right:) My plan is just graduating and become a good architect, but not sure which courses really helps me achieve that, so I take McGill requirement as guidance ( it is top school right). Besides that I could make the most use of my advantage in my science. That’s what I think for now, I would appreciate if you make any suggestions/advise to my plan.

Jul 3, 21 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

what school are you attending because I don’t know of any Canadian school with that many open elective spots. Besides that, it’ll be to your advantage to take social science, history or anything distant to architecture than math courses. 

Jul 3, 21 8:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: