Archinect
anchor

Convince a client not to keep a bsmt.

hiennguyen

Hi. A client approached me, a small time architect, for upgrading a 2 story + bsmt to a duplex w/ living bsmt.

Foundation is 120 yr old brick, is failing.

Walls and floors were not rated, damaged roof...

I am having a hard time convince him to abandon the current -30" BFG bsmt, reasoning possible wall sweating, bad air quality, cost of retaining wall-foundation, possible high water table and lateral sewer ( he wants to digg down to -5' BFG... I am a only one seeing the obvious or missing something here ?

Jun 28, 21 11:25 pm

walk away

Jun 28, 21 11:45 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

I’d recommend the OP run instead.

Jun 29, 21 6:08 am  · 
 · 
hiennguyen

What is OP ?

Jun 29, 21 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

OP = original post

Jun 29, 21 11:48 am  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

hiennguyen, 

OP means what Non Sequitur said. More precisely, it also refers to the person who started the thread topic which in this particular case means you so sometimes OP means original poster when referring to the person which is what Non Sequitur was using more precisely prior to you asking "What is OP ?". 

It means you in this particular instance because you made the first post on this thread titled "Convince a Client not to keep a Bsmt.". 

For anyone else visiting this site and forums for the first time and doesn't know what OP means, please read these posts from what Non Sequitur wrote and my more detailed response explaining it. Enough said about what OP means.

Jun 29, 21 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

Ask for a really large non-refundable fee to do a feasibility study and preliminary budget (no design). The fee should be large enough to discourage the would-be client and such that you would happily prepare the study if the idiot wants to go ahead.

It would just be a study, not a contract for architectural services. If they still want to proceed after that you can name your price and/or tell them you're too busy. 

Basically you're competing to NOT get the job. Since intelligence doesn't seem to work, use economics.

Jun 29, 21 9:52 am  · 
1  · 
hiennguyen

I think it s economic, being cheap, is what in his mind right now, thinking he can save a lot from a run down building...

Jun 29, 21 11:49 am  · 
 · 

LOL

Jun 29, 21 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds like the structure is failing.  Tell the client this and if they want to proceed then inform them that you'll be charging hourly with no limit because of the unknown scope of the project. Also inform them that your fees do not include consultant fees.  If the client baulks at this run. 

Jun 29, 21 10:10 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

you guys act like 120-yr old buildings with problematic crawlspaces should all be torn down.  Adding a basement is a difficult task, but I think the correct response would be to send the potential client towards a arch/contractor more experienced with those specific types of additions.  They aren't economical, but if you want to save the building and have to mobilize to redo foundations anyway... you've paid for the extra costs for mobilizing those trades.  Now you're just expanding scope.

Jun 29, 21 10:47 am  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

Do a doorknob restoration - where you remove the front doorknob, demolish the building, including the foundation, rebuild new and reinstall the doorknob and call it a restoration. 

Jun 29, 21 11:38 am  · 
 · 
hiennguyen

I work in a firm that does work for local government.

Jun 29, 21 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
hiennguyen

I work for a firm that does works for local government, and that s exactly how they do. But to save my own sanity, I don't want to do that.

Jun 29, 21 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Merely saving a doorknob won't cut it where I am. It would not meet any kind of definition of historic restoration that is recognized by the Department of Interior and if the house was on the National Register of Historic Places receiving tax freeze. Demolishing the structure and just saving a doorknob and using it on a new building will result in loss of such tax freezes.

I am not claiming the OP is doing that.

Jun 29, 21 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
hiennguyen

I should say that my calculation shows that i can still manage to give him 3 storey+crawl space instead of 2 storey+bsmt once they redo the fndtn and lift the floors up. Who loves a bsmt that much ?

Jun 29, 21 11:40 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

the Q bunch and their mommies.

Jun 29, 21 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Just wait til he tells you he wants a full bath in the basement.

Jun 29, 21 2:43 pm  · 
1  · 
hiennguyen

Actually he planned to have 3 full baths, and that was why i concerned...

Jun 29, 21 5:43 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

So he likes the idea of pumping shit uphill?

Jun 29, 21 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: