Archinect
anchor

Resources for learning new construction and waterproofing methods/details.

johnchoi111

Hi, I'm a Korean architect-ish(?) person, studied archi in Aus but currently working in Korea. I've only started working at my firm 3 months ago and its been a learning process for sure.

Right now I have a boss who is interested in learning construction methods that have recently been developed and being used in foreign cases since in Korea, modern innovations tend to get overlooked and clients end up choosing more cost effective measures. He is especially interested in German architectural details/construction methods and even plans to study abroad there if possible. I'd like to help him in finding some resources and information as it would be a great opportunity for myself as well.

So far I've found 'inspiration.detail.de' but haven't subscribed to it yet. Any other recommendations would be much helpful. Thank you.

Jun 22, 21 2:39 pm
chris-chitect

I used to love looking through Detail Magazine while in university (in Canada). The only issue was my professor would always say "we can't do that here". Some of the products aren't available, and often trades people aren't familiar with the methods, plus the details take very careful consideration and most clients don't want anything that people won't notice. 

I personally like "The Build Show" on YouTube. It's from Texas but the host is very passionate about exploring new details and technologies. 

https://m.youtube.com/channel/...

Jun 22, 21 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
johnchoi111

Thanks, I'll look into them. I agree with you that some of the details I come across seem 'not possible' in Korea as well due to similar reasons.

Jun 22, 21 9:12 pm  · 
 · 

As far as waterproofing details/ requirements, try manufacturers websites. In the U.S., Carlislie-Mirafi is a reputable company. Also, the Canada-based Building Science Corporation is an excellent website. Joseph Lstiburek and his associates write articles about The Science Of Building, the 'why' something is done and what happens when something isn't built properly. Be aware that certain building issues depend on climate. In other words, a technique in one region may not apply in another: a hot climate versus a cold or wet climate. Bali bali capsedah... ;-)

Jun 22, 21 7:03 pm  · 
2  · 
johnchoi111

Thanks for your suggestions. I have read couple of The Science of Building articles and they were really helpful in understanding why certain things are done the way they are.

Jun 22, 21 9:15 pm  · 
1  · 
luvu

Warranty / installation technique  / testing requirement / does the productmeet you Korean building code&standard ... the list goes on

@ johnchoi111  : has your boss thought about this already ?

Jun 23, 21 12:13 am  · 
 · 

The problem with modern innovations is that they have not been tested over time. 

Jun 23, 21 9:42 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Search the forum for a pdf link to Deplazes’ Construction Manual, I posted it a couple of times and it is a great resource for learning to understand how buildings are put together. Think Deplazes is Swiss though and associated with ETH in Zürich, hope that’s not a problem for you ;)

Jun 23, 21 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: