Archinect
anchor

The influence of Jean Prouvé

piero1910

What architects were or are highly influenced by Jean Prouvé? I've been watching and reading a lot on Prouvé and he is mostly considered as a failure because his ideas were not mass produced as he desired. Why isn't he named among the big names of the modern architecture? So I just wonder what impact has its work on architecture nowadays, and why. The same I would like to know about Fuller because some of the architects who still follow his ideas are Rogers, Piano, Frei Otto, and Foster. Sometimes, I even see Shigeru Ban's work very related to Prouvé. However, employing other materials. But what about nowadays? 

Jun 7, 21 12:42 pm
shellarchitect

I've never heard of him, so i suspect he was a failure and that his impact is minimal.  Fuller is much better known (by me at least)  perhaps only because he was American.  We don't know many foreign architects.

Jun 8, 21 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
lower.case.yao

I’m pretty sure prouve’s interest in industrialized design influenced (at least one if them anyway) norman foster’s earlier works. In fact the technologists in general probably.

Jun 8, 21 3:44 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Absolutely. Even Le Corbusier's backhanded compliment that he was a "constructeur" and not an architect was not a dis in the eyes of the high-tech crowd. They embraced technology and the technics of production more openly than any generation since the Bauhaus, and Prouve was a key part of bringing that full-circle.

Jun 8, 21 4:49 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

As for Buckminster Fuller, do yourself a favor and check out the biography of T.C. Howard.

Jun 8, 21 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I don’t know why anyone would consider Prouvé a failure, except maybe Prouvé himself.

Jun 8, 21 8:34 pm  · 
1  · 
piero1910

Well, I think I did not explain my point well. I do not exactly mean that he was a failure as an architect or builder because he gained a lot of fame in the end. But I think he could not achieve what he wanted in his architecture, which it was to industrialize it as cars or other industries were going on at the time. I was watching lecture by Luis Fernandez-Galiano, who is main writer and journalist of the magazine, Arquitectura Viva. He described Prouve and Fuller as not succesful because they were not able to achieve what they looking for! 

Jun 8, 21 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: