Archinect
anchor

Urban Design Vs Sustainable Arch ( MAsters & Career )

Ram619

Hello!

So I'm just another lost 23-year old that would appreciate your insight. I'll try to keep this short.

Quick intro: I currently have acceptances to great universities in these two fields that I'm interested in. I have a BSc in Architecture. I wanna make an impact. etc, the usual.

I won't waste your time with details about my financial situation, but I'd like your advice regarding something else. I am worried about the career prospects pertaining to these fields and would appreciate your insight.

Sustainability:

I have always been interested in sustainability because of the positive impact it has on our environment and the responsibility we have towards everything and everyone around us (as both human beings and architects.) Moreover, I enjoy being involved in both the design AND technical sides of architecture (and I imagine sustainability is quite technical with all the sun exposure- passive ventilation etc aspects that come with its analysis.) I also enjoy the challenge of spreading sustainable architecture while demonstrating how it doesn't have to translate into a sacrifice in design.

Urban Planning:

On the other hand, what I love about urban planning is the presence of so much collaboration between different stakeholders in the community. I want to be able to be part of a team that ensures an equal distribution of resources to people regardless of their financial status, background, race, ethnicity, etc. However, I'm worried about the job prospects. Will I only be working when there is something to be planned? Will I be idle or working outside my domain otherwise? Urban planning is on a big scale after all, and even though this is what I like about it (impact-wise), it worries me career-wise.

Decision?

So as I am trying to come to a consensus, I think about how I might be able to compromise by doing my Masters in Urban Design then getting a LEED or other green certification later on the side. After all, one can definitely implement sustainability within urban design, unlike how you can't implement urban design in sustainability. So I'm basically thinking of this in terms of trying to get the most I can out of both fields but again, career prospects come to mind.. . sustainability def seems more available and stable asa role job wise.

Lastly, the main three universities I am thinking of are the following (already accepted their offers).

Cardiff in the UK: MSc in Sustainable Mega buildings. (1 year)        Sheffield in the UK: MSc in Sustainable Architecture. (1 Year)    Politecnico di Milano in Italy: Architecture and Urban Design. (2-2.5 years)

The UK's tuition is 4-5 times larger than that of Italy so it will be much harder for me to pay, but it's still achievable. Also, Uk has a graduation time and language advantage.

If you took the time to read this, I want to thank you regardless of whether you can give me advice.

Have a nice day!

May 29, 21 5:51 am
robhaw

If you are interested in Urbanism / Urban design I would suggest looking into schools in the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium. I think these countries have traditionally had more complex urban design problems than Italy. KU Leuven's architecture programme is urban design oriented and there are a few programmes in Germany which I think teach in English at postgraduate level. Dutch schools also offer Urban Design courses and the Academy in Amsterdam offers a part-time course in Urban Design, with a well established faculty, school culture and network. I recall once having the opportunity to attend a lecture by Bernardo Secchi there. The head of Urbanism at the Academy is also very accomplished practitioner. I have generally evidenced that people with Urban Design qualifications can have more input in early design phases of large projects, masterplans. 

In terms of environmental design I think that TU München's Resource Efficient Design course is a very good choice. Cardiff is a traditional choice for sustainable design and their Environmental Design of Buildings programme has been very popular although I have some reservations because it is now also delivered online in various formats. UCL's Environmental Design and Engineering is also a very good choice, which is also possible to complete either full-time or part-time. 

I sincerely don't think that the duration of the MSc should concern you as much as the quality of the studies. Personally, after having studied in the UK and having also spend time in the industry I view education very differently. Perhaps it is better to spend 2-3 years at a really good programme in Europe and delve deep into your research interests than 1 year in a UK school that doesn't have the greatest faculty, research groups etc. In my view, a lot of UK schools have developed sustainability programmes because these are popular and generate more fees. Several of them can be rather very superficial in nature and some times end up being simulation/software-based education rather than a thorough education into the technical aspects of environmental design. 

Hope this is helpful. 

May 29, 21 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Ram619

Thank you very much for your reply.

May 29, 21 9:34 am  · 
 · 
ansi

You mentioned TU München's Resource Efficient Design course. Does that have a German Language requirement?

Aug 17, 21 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

Yes, there both English and German language skills are mandatory to gain admission.

Aug 17, 21 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: