Archinect
anchor

Need help with figuring out structure for my project!

a.sxmad

Hey guys! Just need some advice on a suitable structural system for my project! It has to consist of two distinctive structural members so at the moment I’m thinking of steel beams and columns to support re conc. slabs. The roof will be supported by a space frame that spans the entire span of the roof and will then be transferred to the load bearing walls on the exterior (left and right curved walls). There’s also a basement level underneath that will consist of re conc retaining walls and slab on grade etc. It’s for a museum that I designed last semester. 

This elevation here shows extruded geometries on the rear that were to be used for media to be projected on. I was thinking to change this to a projection screen supported by a tensile structure. 

This elevation shows the main facade consisting of a curtain wall and another wall (maybe this could be load bearing too? with further steel reinforcement internally as the point at the bottom acts a sort of column structure?)

This floor plan shows the grid lines and the two lift cores in between 3&4. Area from C-E and 4-6 will be an atrium supported by steel columns with wide flange beams spanning the 10m length. 

Any advice would help heaps! I can upload sections and additional floor plans if needed :)

May 27, 21 10:40 am
square.

i'd make sure those end walls @ A1 and G1 were connected before proceeding..

May 27, 21 10:53 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

curved structural walls? Neat. Hope that’s curved on the Z axis. 

Besides that, you’ve already answered your own question. Get to it. 

May 27, 21 11:24 am  · 
 · 
midlander

concrete columns, composite slab, space frame or steel tube roof/wall structure. the building structure is entirely supported by the columns - the space frame only as a facade structure. don't do structural walls for this, too irregular.

May 27, 21 11:34 am  · 
3  · 
rcz1001

Is this a real client project or homework for a class? For parts of the structure, I would probably be using a "Shell Structure" system. Typically, this would be concrete but it may be other systems. You may need to research on which type is best for your project. On the interior, you may have or use other structural elements used but aside from posts and some interior walls, you're probably looking for a fairly open interior space. I would need to see more of the design in order to give much more on the interior. 

Midlander made some good points about "facade structure" and not doing structural walls for this given the irregular nature. That can be a debatable argument so one would really need to see more of what you are trying to do. Space frame or steel tube roof/wall structure make sense to me. 

Now, it is conceivable that the structural shell can be done for structural design but that gets into some fairly advance stuff. Parts of your exterior would best be a facade structure but parts of it needs to be structural and you'll have to really think out the load path on this. There would need to be some structural elements on the interior perimeter. The four columns is probably not enough.   

May 27, 21 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

It would be very concerning if an architect is outsourcing structural engineering on an online forum.

May 27, 21 4:10 pm  · 
4  · 
midlander

also he described it as a project he started last semester which implies in class.

May 27, 21 5:54 pm  · 
1  · 
a.sxmad

This is just for homework :P its a third year unit that I'm taking in my second year, most of design up to third year quite conceptual so there isn't much though given to if the building will work structurally. After that however there is the need to have the building work as well without ruining the architectural intent which is really how it is irl as well :D

Just a rough section here atm. But basically in terms of load transfer having columns spaced throughout the middle, to take the roof loads down to the drop cap columns in the basement into the ground with piles. I do agree with the columns on the interior perimeter of the curved walls, that would help with giving the walls some resistance to it as well. At 8-6 there is an external cantilever of 5m. Thinking about connecting it like below. image.png

So yeah thought about it and I scrapped the idea of having the two side walls at such a steep angle because it was hard to have floors that matched the irregular shape of the form. But I am still choosing to have the floors curve but be completely vertical now rather than at an angle. I thought even if they were load bearing structural element, some thickened slab edges would help get load down to the ground. 

In terms of interior program spaces are really just partitions at the moment. Above - Level 1, (B-C, 1-3) Museum Shop, (C-E, 1-3) Open Cafe, (E-G, 1-3) Toilets

Above - Level 2 - Partitions are just open exhibition spaces (still need to add openings!)

Above - Level 3 - (A-G, 1-3) Back of House, (C-E, 5-7) Projection Room and Closed Exhibition Space

May 27, 21 9:25 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

protip, take more than 40seconds next time you need to use photoshop for your images.

May 27, 21 10:43 pm  · 
1  · 
luvu

Fix the stairs first , ...tell us why it needs fixing ?

May 30, 21 11:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: