Archinect
anchor

Storefront Longevity Quetsion

davidpruchenski

Hi - I'm doing some research for a class project. It seems like there is a fad for glass window storefronts all over the place (every McD and Starbucks seems to change their design frequently).  

Can anyone tell me how long a a storefront typically remains in service?  Also, are there differences between the end use (i.e. these fast food places seem to change facades more often to grab attention but more traditional store fronts and curtain walls for box stores, hotels, etc.  seemed to be more based on structure for longer life so is that life cycle different than for the fast food places?).   

If any of you can point me to some articles or give me some advice on how I can find life expectancy / longevity of a store front and any other good articles to better understand other requirements that would be great (i.e. it would be interesting to see the trade offs in longevity, cost, thermal performance, other requirements etc.)  

May 25, 21 6:10 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

fad, really?

May 25, 21 6:38 pm  · 
3  ·  1
bowling_ball

You can do your own research by contacting a supplier. Or a contractor. Or a building owner.  

May 25, 21 6:45 pm  · 
4  ·  1
archanonymous

This is good advice delivered poorly. 

I suggest starting with manufacturers. Who makes storefront systems? What do they say about them? Most have voluminous information online. 

The other line of questioning is from owners. What does BOMA say about turnover and remodeling frequency of quick-serve restaurants?

May 25, 21 7:34 pm  · 
3  · 
bowling_ball

Sorry, how was this delivered poorly? I'm not their assistant. They can take it or leave it but your information and mine are exactly the same, with the exception of BOMA which will be incomprehensible to anybody not familiar with it.

May 25, 21 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Everyone on Architect: bitches about students not knowing anything practical when they graduate.

Students coming on Architect for help with practical issues their professors don't know about: Fuck you you little shit stains, do your own work. Here's a perfunctory reply to inflate my own ego.

May 26, 21 8:00 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Seems more like the OP is a teacher building some sort of economic assignment. It’s just poorly framed and short-sighted.

May 26, 21 8:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I sense a disappointing grade will grace this students future report card. 

May 25, 21 7:10 pm  · 
5  · 
newbie.Phronesis

Not exactly a "fad"- https://www.archdaily.com/960485/the-high-design-a-happy-meal-what-the-evolution-of-mcdonalds-tells-us-about-architectural-experimentation
Really though, should be doing your own research in the direction bowling ball and archanon suggested...

May 25, 21 7:44 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

poor little guy. Doesn't like the comments he's getting.

May 25, 21 10:19 pm  · 
1  ·  1

The American Architectural Manufacturers Association is one place to start.

As for the Chain restaurants switching things up, it may seem wasteful but if those systems are from the 80s or even early 90s they may have terrible energy performance.  Also the systems are being designed with more safety features such as safety laminates or stronger structural anchorage.  An aluminum storefront system, in my experience can remain in place for decades, but aluminum is easily scratched and does corrode if exposed to moisture and especially if it is in contact with ferrous metals like steel.  Some entrances eventually wear out from use and abuse and need replacement.

So the factors that lead to storefronts getting changed out may be:

Wear and tear/ abuse or damage

Better energy usage/ thermal insulation (if you want to change the glass to a lower U value the aluminum frames might not be able to hold the thicker glass units)

New safety requirements from building codes and or insurance policies

Accessibility, some storefronts and entrances do not meet the current accessibility requirements, especially if the business is reconfigured for a different use.

It is not easy to find this info as the industry associations and manufactures are trying to sell products and might be unwilling to give you info on how wasteful their products might be, and building owners are not going to give you this info all of the time as building entrances tend to be a focus of litigation from slips falls and accessibility issues.

I hope this helps

Let us know how the class project goes.

Over and OUT

Peter N

May 26, 21 10:05 am  · 
3  · 
t a z

AAMA became part of a consortium now known as FGIA (Fenestration & Glazing Industry Alliance).

https://fgiaonline.org/

All the AAMA standards live there now.

May 26, 21 11:32 am  · 
3  · 
t a z

Glass Magazine is a decent industry trade publication (produced by NGA & GANA).

https://www.glassmagazine.com/

May 26, 21 11:38 am  · 
 · 
Oscar_Ellis

There are a few things you can do to make your storefront last longer. First, make sure that you are using high-quality materials and construction techniques. Second, make sure that you are properly maintaining your storefront. Finally, keep an eye on your storefront and make repairs as necessary.

Feb 4, 22 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Better yet - understand that if your storefront get over 12'-14' in height and / or 12' in length then the internal drainage channels are not able to properly drain water out of the frames.  This will cause all types of issues.  

If you need individual frames over those sizes then you'll need to go to a curtainwall system.  

Mar 11, 22 10:11 am  · 
 · 
JAK-90825
Oldcastle, Kawneer, YKK, etc. Call them about it and talk to a Sales rep. They will be able to answer your questions.

My experience in working in automotive retail architecture is you have brand reqs and owner reqs. They dont always align as the owner is flipping the bill on the renovation. So where the brand wants to switch out the storefront to some fancy new frameless system - the owner more than often wants to keep the existing storefront in place. Can get a little more complex though where you start dealing with energy codes and needing to address storefronts for compliance.
Mar 11, 22 7:56 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I love that I have walked into buildings with YKK curtain walls while wearing a jacket with a YKK zipper.

Mar 11, 22 11:58 am  · 
 · 

Doesn't that hurt your face? ::rimshot::

Mar 11, 22 12:39 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

Where I live, retail and fast food remodels change everything but the storefronts.  The signage, exterior awnings/canopies and fascias are changed on a roughly 7 to 10 year cycle while the glass, doors, and mullions remain in place.   Maybe the metal finish gets cleaned up at most.  In our markets, the retail tenants pay the utility bills and landlords thus have no incentive to put in more energy-efficient glazing systems.  Most retail and fast food renovations are solely focused on keeping up with aesthetic and branding trends.

Mar 14, 22 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

We use double pane glazing in our storefronts - they have a U- value of 0.65 in the warm valley and 0.23 in the colder mountain areas. There is no other way to meet the IECC using ComCheck software in my area . . .

Mar 14, 22 2:32 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

A lot of the strip mall and fast food real estate around me was built in the 1980's or earlier. The local building officials allow old systems to remain through grandfathering when the alteration projects are of limited scope.   New construction and full-building renovations certainly do have to use much more efficient stuff due to ComCheck.

Mar 14, 22 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: